1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sexism in men

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Techno Kid, Dec 23, 2013.

1. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The STEM fields are important. Thanks to innovation in STEM fields, we have... televisions, smart phones, computers, various forms of birth control, video games, robots, lightbulbs...
    Women have made contributions to STEM. Quite a few. Have you heard of Ada Lovelace? She's most famous for being the first programmer.

It's not solely a "feminist issue", since feminism would not solve the problem.

I read the statistics already. All of them, dude.
    I'm not saying these statistics are wrong.
    They just have too broad a scope.
    I can't see any specific examples of workplace discrimination. Just averages. Lots of averages.
    Seems a little broad to me.
    For example, if I was trying to prove(hypothetically)that everyone in China is Chinese, I wouldn't look at the population statistics for the entire continent of Asia.

#41 An Gentleman, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  2. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Every now and then I see a number that looks at something like average pay of male vs female nurses that shows women making less for doing the same job. Though ya they tend to look at this issue from very high up. It shows a trend, but doesn't really give the reason behind the trend. I also hear a different excuse for the trend too. (Oddly I almost never see the trend blamed on actual sexism.)

3. erm, um, female - won an award as best math student the year I graduated high school

became a computer programmer

was paid less than male programmers at every company I was in

also pretty much every place I went I could count on when I would propose an Idea in a board meeting it would fall flat & 15-20 minutes later - it would then be proposed by some man and lauded - and every womon I worked with had the SAME experience

it was so bad the feild has switched do you know the field was stock full of womyn from 5the 50's through the 80 & 90's there are far less womyn in computers now percentage wise

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Here's one. In a couple of companies I worked for, a married woman was paid more than me, a single man, for the same job. No, there was no difference in competence. In fact, the quality of my education was a tad higher. I found this out accidentally by seeing some billing invoices. I wasn't supposed to see this. These places had a premium on married life. And I got a few rude or nuanced comments about my marital status. So, they got more money, and their husbands worked too. I had to pull my weight on one salary. When you learn that, it depresses you and you start looking to change jobs.

Men being paid more happens a lot, but it's not always the case. If they like the woman more, they'll pay her more. If they value having a married staff, then a woman might make more than a man. If it's a boys club, then men will probably make more than women. A published wage and salary scale usually eliminates this problem, but those tend to be found at governmental type employers.

5. GingerGuy

PHP:
    Well, that's the truth pretty much. It's unfair to pay someone less, or even the same, for working longer hours and being subjected to a lot more responsibilities and stresss. The "wage gap" doesn't exist, unless you count men getting paid the same as women even though they work more, and then getting divorced by hypergamous females.