Servers....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Lily, May 21, 2008.

1. Lily

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    hey guys I need your:help:

I took a job the weekend before this past weekend at a restaurant. I was thrilled even though its a bussing job...which is pretty low on the totem. But it keeps me busy and all was well until the other night. I refused to do one of the servers waters becuase I thought I had a table to clear and I was adament about it and then it turned out I was wrong and I told her that I would do them she didn't let me but she also accused me of not bussing her tables which is complete BS I was bussing everyones tables not just anyones in particular. I was also doing waters...you know the things bussers do she told me she wouldn't tip me out. I told her that was fine and I apologized to her since it was only my second week on the job and I'm just polite like that. THen later that night she approached me and asked me about her tips for a certian table. I told her that I didn't have them or see them which is the truth I had gotten to that table a little late and our other busser had started (its a large table) and I didn't see any money on it while we were cleaning it. And she had been starting shit all evening with the other girls about me. And then today...I called in to see if I was on the schedule and I was not. And then I ran into a friend of that server and she said that the girl had it in for me and was going to hunt me down and get her money.
    But the thing is I didn't see it so how could I have taken it? All I had on me outside of clothing was my cell and the twenty in tips I made from the other two servers.
    :tears:
    I don't know what to do because if I get fired for that that ruins my chance for a job anywhere and I didn't do shit. I just wanna curl up and die from I don't know it just sounds good right now. And I have no clue what this girl will do to me. I mean you would think if she was that damn sure that I stole her tips why didn't she check me pull out my pockets and such...only I didn't have any pockets I carried everything in my boot (they were flared pants and you couldn't tell)

I just I have no idea what to do and now I can't even prove my innocence. Besides they all believe her naturally since I just started working there.

:tears: :tears: :tears:
    Please give me some advice
    Thanks Lily

2. LOVEjames

You should go approach your manager and explain the whole situation so he doesn't hear it from the grapevine or from her. Just include everything, including the mistake that you made about thinking you had a table but then didn't. They actually can't fire you for it if they don't have any proof that you took it. You may continue to have a quarrel with her, but that can't be helped it seems.

3. Lily

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thats the problem my manager already heard it from her. Before I even realized how much of an issue she was making it...hence I was working while she did so little :tantrum: So I don't know maybe I'll go talk to them really have no idea what to do.

4. sdc91

Well, you should still tell him/her your point of view. It wouldn't hurt. Just start off by telling your boss that you want to tell him/her your side of the story so he knows the full story.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If a server asks you to water their table, don't refuse and "get adamant about it". If someone above the server has asked you to clear a table, let them know. Don't get huffy about it - just say, "Mike just told me to clear table 17 - can I water your table once I finish that?" Part of being employed the first time is juggling several requests/projects at once.

As far as the "missing tip" goes, stick with it. No need to be defiant. Just say, "I cleared the table, and I didn't see any tip there. Sorry." Remain calm about it. If you get defensive, they'll think there's a reason for it. Again, be calm and say "I always pick up the tips and turn them in. There just didn't appear to be one at that table."

Do tell the manager, but be sure to phrase things correctly. Do NOT set this up as a "this girl has it in for me" sort of thing. That won't help your cause at all. Instead, present it as a "there seems to be some misunderstanding" sort of thing.

This part's gonna be toughest. Try not to hold a grudge against this girl. Don't shoot daggers at her through your eyes, or scowl when she walks by. Otherwise, she WILL have it in for you.

Good luck.

Lex

6. Lily

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    She's the first person that I've told no up there. I don't say no I'm always doing. And yet the others have been telling me not to say yes to everything... ya know? I mean I had been doing my job and I was in the middle of something. I just...I really I don't want to lose this job. So I was doing everything I could and then I make that mistake..then next thing I know shes asking me about a tip I never saw and then the next day I hear she has it in for me bad. So I don't know.

I went in today to see if they needed me and they told me to talk to the big boss. Except he wasn't there at all today. I wasn't going to change my story just say hey this is what happened what is going to happen? I won't get highstrung about it. I won't be anything but calm. I just want to get this straightend out so I can make some money to buy food and pay rent. I just worry that if I lose this I won't get hired anywhere else for a really long time and I can't afford that. I mean I can't go in and put them as a referance and think yeah they'll hire me wait, they'll say she stole tip money. I can see it now guys. And its not pretty. Not pretty at all.

I won't scowl at her...I won't do anything to her. I appologized to her about the water and I told her the truth about the tip. The only thing I can do is pay her the tip back with money I don't have. But I don't even know how much it was because I never saw it. And she could really take advantage of me then. So I just have to wait and talk to the big boss if he ever shows up when I'm there. Because I really need the work and I haven't worked since that night. I'm not going to be immature and say it was her fault but some days it really feels like it.

Well thanks for the advice!