1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Senate Leadership Election 2014 preditions

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dano218, Jun 13, 2014.

1. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am very much into politics and look at news and polls on a daily basis. I am thinking Montana,South Dakota,Arkansas,Lousiana, and North Carolina are at risk to go republican and that could create a republican leadership.

I do however think races in Kentucky and Georgia are very competitive and could go democrat this. The states I listed in the first paragraph could still go blue but my observation would that it would be a very tight election in all those states. But the chances seem very bad considering the poll numbers in North Carolina and Arkansas. I have not seen the poll numbers in Lousiana but I know the democratic senator is danger down there. It they rally the blacks, and other minorities in the south and get them to the polls we could pull off winning these states that are in danger but that just my opinion.

2. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

With the polls you saw are you talking the state senate or federal senate?

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Democrats will hold the majority (Hagan and Landrieu will both hold their seats for sure, the others probably will, too, except for West Virginia). We will also gain blue governors in Pennsylvania (Where Tom Wolf is up 25 points on Corbett) and Georgia (Carter is up 7 points on Deal), a blue senator in Georgia, and Harry Reid will stay President Pro-Tempore. Mitch McLoser will lose in Kentucky to Alison Lundergan-Grimes, so there will be a new minority leader.

4. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The Republicans have around a 60% chance to take back the Senate, and they're going to maintain the House. They'll probably lose some governor seats, but will keep the majority of them.

The Senate race in Kentucky will be very close, but McConnell is going to win.

5. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

I don't know if McConnel will lose tbh.

6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    McConnell is less popular in Kentucky than the President is.

7. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yet the race is still extremely close (McConnell is ahead) and Obama is very unpopular in Kentucky too (and nationwide).

It is quite hard to defeat incumbents, particularly ones who have been around for a long time and have a lot of money.

McConnell has a slight edge and he will narrowly win.

#7 Mike92, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  8. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ALG still has over 4 months to run her campaign and begin to open up a lead on him. Michelle Nunn is also going to pick up Saxby Chambliss' seat in Georgia. If democrats win those two seats, we keep the senate even if Hagan and Landrieu and the others lose their seats.

9. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it were a presidential year, Hagan would be totally safe. But because it's a midterm that race will end up being close. She isn't a popular senator to begin with, and democrats will be voting more against Tillis than for her or anything. I'm sure much ado will be made about her lack of achievements on the senate floor.

I still think she has some advantage, due to the sheer unpopularity of the state's republican government. Thom Tillis was the speaker of the house in this state and he was the face of much of the things people hated that happened here last year. His general assembly control the state through gerrymandering and will continue to hold a majority of seats and will continue to push a radical agenda even after they lose a majority of the popular vote in both houses this year (which I'm positive will happen). NC is a moderate state, relatively evenly split politically between the progressive Triangle, Charlotte proper, Asheville, Greensboro and so forth, and then the conservative rural parts of the state, as well as Charlotte's dark red suburbs. But they're acting like this is Mississippi and they can just get away with passing stone-age laws.

#9 Spatula, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  10. Jethro702

I would so love if Nunn would get his Senate seat and that Carter will kick out Deal....

11. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    She still has time, but she's running in a state and an incumbent that will make it very difficult to win.

Nunn winning Georgia is far from as certain as you think. Georgia leans Republican, and Jack Kingston (who's ahead of Perdue by 11%) is tied with Nunn.

12. I think the election outcome will fall on whether the immigration reform bill will pass. This bill is something a super-majority of the U.S supports, so this obviously includes Republicans. If the Republican-controlled House does not pass this bill, not only will the Democrats have a higher chance of gaining more House seats, the chances of keeping the Senate will stay strong.

13. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

Grimes is ahead of McConnell as of yesterday, 49-46. I think we may just remain the same, Dems owned Senate & Repub owned House.

---------- Post added 13th Jun 2014 at 01:23 PM ----------

Yes, winning the house doesn't seem like a reality tbh. But gaining some definitely does. Recchia will surely defeat Grimm for a house seat in New York. The district leans Republican but Grimm, I'm sure you heard, has a lot of legal troubles. That's one seat! Haha.

14. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Got a link to the Grimes/McConnell poll? The Huff Post just updated its polling page a day ago and they still have McConnell slightly ahead. 2014 Kentucky Senate: McConnell vs. Grimes - Polls - HuffPost Pollster

As for the House, it's likely that Republicans actually gain a couple seats.

15. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  16. Jethro702

17. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very good analogy. All the republicans have done for the past is play destructive tactics to make Obama look bad and now with the tea party fighting to gain control and take over the republican party and shift it way to the right. It will only cause a complete destruction of their dear party in the future.

---------- Post added 13th Jun 2014 at 03:24 PM ----------

Yeah the reason why Landrieu, Hagen, Pryor and many others are facing tough re-elections they were all elected in 2008 and this election may be a judgment on President Obama especially in the south where he is very unpopular. But they could still win probably with a very small difference in percentage. But I am bracing for all three of them to lose sadly.

---------- Post added 13th Jun 2014 at 03:27 PM ----------

This is a situation I am hoping for. I despise Mcconnell so much he is a burden to America and wanted to destroy Obama from the beginning. So has Mccain, Palin and every other politician all have literally never praised the president's accomplishments. I am tired of Mccain getting mad at every little policy decision like bush was better at everything.

---------- Post added 13th Jun 2014 at 03:31 PM ----------

I hate how people are giving Natalie Tennant no chance to win the senate. She is very popular and in the primary she won more votes than republicans did in the WV senate primary. Capito is bad news and Tennant is pro gun pro coal which is a must in WV. Hagan and Landrieu may win but according to polls it does not seem likely. If they do it will only be by much.

---------- Post added 13th Jun 2014 at 03:32 PM ----------

The federal senate there is too many people in the state senates too keep track of those.

18. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

I think it will just end up being the same. Dems own senate repubs own house.

19. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The minimum wage and marijuana legalization ballot measures may be Mark Begich's saving grace, Mary Landrieu is in the same situation as the Titanic, Kay Hagan might not survive, Montana and South Dakota are safe R, and I think Mark Pryor will survive, narrowly.

Michelle Nunn leads Jack Kingston by 7 in the last poll I saw and Alison Lundergan Grimes is up 3 in the most recent poll.

Even if Republicans win 6 seats in 2014 and win control of the Senate, Democrats are virtually guaranteed to win back the Senate in 2016 by defeating blue state Republicans. Mark Kirk in a state like Illinois in a Presidential year is facing an uphill battle to say the least. Ron Johnson, a Tea Party lunatic from Wisconsin, is losing badly in a hypothetical rematch with Russ Feingold, the progressive champion that he defeated in 2010 during the hysteria that resulted in Republicans winning complete control of Wisconsin. Then there's Pat Toomey in Pennsylvania.

Point is, even if disaster strikes in 2014, we'll be okay in the end.