1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seeing the gynaecologist necessary or not?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Yato Gami, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Yato Gami

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi,
    to Keep it short: I'm 19 and I've never really been to a gynaecologist before, only once to get the pill and they didn't even look at me (what I was glad for). I've never really been in a relationship, never had sex and I think I've neve had any Problems, so I didn't see a Need to go there, I mean, lbh everyone feels uncomfortable the first time right?

So, I don't have any Problems now but as women should see their gynaecologist every half (?) year or so and I'm heading to Australia on August 23rd for a year I thought it would be a good idea.

As Things are at present, I'm very late making that decision and the woman I went to to get the pills (my mom's gynaecologist) will be on Holiday until after I've left and I won't get an appointment before that. There's two other female doctors but they both didn't get good Ratings. Then there is a male one and he got rated very high but I didn't want to go to a male doctor, so I never really thought about visiting him. But chances are small that I will get an appointment with a different good doc.

Alright, I didn't Keep it as short as I wanted it to be but anyways... Would you recommend me to call that male gynaecologist and ask for an appointment or would you say it's not necessary and I should try at my mom's after coming back home?

Thanks in advance!

2. Lindsey23

I think you should go. It sucks I know but it's just one of those things we all have to do. If the male doctor got high ratings he probably has a good personality and will be able to help put you at ease. I saw a male obgyn once and I actually liked him a lot more than some of the female doctors I've seen. And I was like you, I really wanted a female doctor before I met him. Take care of your health, it's important.

3. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While I'm a guy, I can figure out that going to the gynecologist isn't exactly a good experience.

Yet, I think that screening is vital. My mom spent 26 years without seeing one; when she finally went (she was having extremely heavy and painful periods), they only found two large but benign fibroids, but it could have been much, much worse. So please go.

4. Twist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Once a year minimum. Just because you don't think you're having problems doesn't mean there aren't any. Ovarian cancer and other cancers of that sort sneak up on many without any symptoms, and without a regular exam you can't catch it in time.

My sister says that male gyn are better because they are usually more gentle, if that helps.

#4 Twist, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    Miaplacidus likes this.
  5. Islanzadi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have had male and female gyn, I don't really see any difference... Male gyn are just so used to see every part of a female body on a daily basis they just don't care so it's not that bad.

And I definitely think you should go at least once a year, especially if you're on the pill. You normally need a regular follow up when you take the pill, and it could save you the bad discovery of a cancer or other problems in an advanced stage.

6. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here in the US, I don't believe gyno visits are considered important until you turn 21, unless you have a specific concern or procedure that you want done. Is there any way you can get your birth control pills without an appointment?

7. Yato Gami

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for your replies!
    I totally forgot to answer.

I was on the pill only for like a year, so I'd get my period more regularly but I'm not anymore.

Anyways I'm going to see the gyn tomorrow!