1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Security token invalid

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Foxface, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Foxface

This message was received after I attempted to mark all forums read

Foxface

2. OhSOCurious

Yea it does the same for me. The admins now see your post and should go ahead and try and fix it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. gavguy

gavguy Guest

I suffered the same problem, but I found if you upload one photo at a time then it works fine :icon_bigg

4. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, it's been happening for a while. Our system seems to have a lot of gremlins.

5. Fairybread

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The way to work around the all forums read, is to log out and back in again. Only the forums that were posted in since you last logged out will be marked unread, which if youre fast enough, should be none :grin:

6. OhSOCurious

Quick question... who coded this forum? It's a mess! There are comments prevent scripts and other commands from running, most of the code is all on one line, and it's being styled through HTML and CSS. I'm surprised this place is running.... no offense xD

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We're running a pretty old version of vBulletin (vBulletin 3), which is the most widely used forum script. This version is probably close to 10 years old (with various updates since, which were mostly bug fixes.) There's some customization but not much.

We want to upgrade, but it's not clear to what yet. vBulletin 5 is now out, but it's not getting stellar reviews, so we're still looking at options.

8. OhSOCurious

If you need help with anything, let me know. I have coding knowledge, i may be in 11th grade but i'm taking coding classes at a university. :icon_redf

9. Jared

I'm sure they appreciate offer, but they don't let non staff code for the site due to privacy and security concerns, helps to keep EC a safe place :slight_smile:

10. SomeNights

white space is irrelevant. I usually will try to minimize white space. also the forum uses PHP, so just because it's getting spit out on one line doesn't mean it was written that way :wink:

11. OhSOCurious

There would be no security issues. As far as passwords, most websites use MD5 encryption which Cannot be decrypted. Same for personal information such as emails. It was only an offer.

---------- Post added 29th Jul 2013 at 01:42 AM ----------

I would be afraid if the forum didn't use PHP. If it was solely running on HTML and JavaScript then it wouldn't be in any way efficient. Also, my style of coding involves indentations when starting a new command within one. When it's done I move down a line. Ya know the real OCD stuff xD

12. SomeNights

more whitespace = lager file = longer transmission times. Not by much and it really doesn't matter on broadband connections, but when you start talking 56K connections or metered connections(IE cellphone) every bit matters.

and actually MD5 is a ONE WAY encryption so it's generally only used on things like passwords and even then...plus the PII they were talking about is thing like messages posts, blogs and chats which there is no point to encode/decode.

13. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    vBulletin is a complicated monster (particularly the newer versions) with a specialized templating engine, and a custom framework that supports the plug-in system, making it difficult for someone not already deeply familiar with vB to make coding changes to it.

Additionally, the security issues would be having a non-staff member having access to member info, staff areas, and the like, so that's something we've typically not done. That isn't to say we won't at some point take on a staff person to deal with coding issues, but we need to have a clearer idea of our long term strategy before we can meaningfully think about that.

14. OhSOCurious

Yea. I took a look at their page. There is practically no help on how to move from v3 to v5 without messing up something.
    But v5 would be nice.
    If anything, buy a temporary domain or even test it on a localhost (if the site is serious about switching over) And try to re-add things slowly.

15. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We have a development site (and have for over a year) running the 4 version, with most of the mods for vb3 installed. But... it doesn't make sense to do the remaining work when vb4 is already out of date. So that's basically the holdup.