1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Saudi Arabia to execute over 50 convicted of terrorism - including children

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Aussie792, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a country which has consistently refused to have apolitical or transparent courts, a horrendously corrupt and nepotistic political culture. Riyadh has long shown disdain towards the rights of its Shi'ites, women, LGBT people and pro-democracy activists, as well as a blatant lack of interest in the welfare of refugees.

Yet they're to take up the chair of the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) and the Saudi "counterbalance" to an angry Shi'ite Iran apparently justifies democracies' inability to clearly articulate a condemnation of this state, despite Saudi Arabia's less-than-stabilising involvement in its neighbours' affairs.

I just think it's important to keep in mind that even the most evil of non-state actors aren't alone; legitimate states like Saudi Arabia have almost as little respect for civilised behaviour as many illegitimate outfits which regularly engage in terrorism or other forms of cruelty. Saudi Arabia has the apparatus of a state to carry out the nastier of its practices, but an official stamp can't justify what is always cruel and unjust.

Saudi Arabia's alliance in counter-terrorism initiatives can't make up for its cruelty and disrespect for law. To fight against terrorism requires a genuine cultural and political commitment to better ideals; not merely a concern for the identity of the person committing cruelties.

#1 Aussie792, Nov 26, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  2. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

It truly disgusts me that this country has a genuinely good relationship with the United States.

3. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    That just shows how uninformed you are of your countries history. This isn't surprising since the American schools never teach you the truth about your country's history. Instead of learning how to think critically, you're taught to be a tool for its racist agenda.

The American empire has committed atrocities throughout the world whose death tolls greatly surpass what's happening in Saudi Arabia. Two that come to mind are the Silent Holocaust in Guatemala and Augusto Pinochet's genocide in Chile. The total death toll of the Holocaust in Guatemala 250000 Mayan Indians, who were murdered ruthlessly for supposedly being pro-EGP. The victims included young kids who had their heads slammed on housed till they bled to death, deaths far more gruesome than anything happening in Saudi Arabia.

Everyone knows the events on 9/11. Low-flying planes flew into buildings killing thousands of people. Almost half of the victims vanished without a trace, turned to dust in that infamous image of the towers collapsing that burned into the minds of all Americans.

However, there was a 9/11 that occured 28 years before the American one with a death toll much higher that we never hear about. As an American, this is probably the first time you've heard about it. The low-flying planes attacked La Moneda with the goal being to kill Salvador Allende, the first Marxist to be Democratically elected as a world leader, and they belonged to the Chilean military with the orders coming from general Augusto Pinochet. Installed as the new leader, Pinochet began murdering real or suspected supporters of the former government. He was a bloodthirsty despot who killed over 20,000 people of his countrymen and his overthrow of Allende was entirely supported by the USA.

There have been at least 50 countries that have been attacked like this. Let's make this perfectly clear that the USA backed both of those governments and had good relationships with them. Ronald Reagan said that Rios Montt (the guy who committed the genocide against the Mayans of Guatemala) was "a man of great personal integrity and commitment."

#3 AtheistWorld, Nov 27, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  4. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ugh, I know. As much as I hate it where I live I always say "At least it's not Saudi Arabia", because pretty much anything you hear about the country is related to disgusting atrocities worthy of the middle ages.

5. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Saudi Arabia (noun): An ISIS the US supports, due to its oil addiction.

6. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

...I was talking about oil, but okay?

7. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To think they're a strong ally of the United States because of oil is sickening.

8. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  9. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Saudi Arabia is not a nice country to live in. So sad!

10. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

Countries should be putting political pressure on this country.

11. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    These are our "friends", our "allies", in the Middle East, along with apartheid state Israhell. You can see why so many folk see the US as "Satan"...

12. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    And they will do...Once the oil runs out.

13. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Yup! I do. Pretty much. "We keep the peace" is what they say. Make the world a shithole and bomb everything that breathes air is what they do.

14. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

I'm not that down on the USA!! It's a lot more complicated than that IMO. Is it really about oil? Still? Canada has lots of oil and so does the US.

To those in the West who see the US as Satan, where would you be without the USA? In the hands of the Nazis, Communists or ISIS? One of the three, no doubt. You think Sweden or Canada or France could defend themselves without the USA having our backs?
    We'd probably be nuked to high heaven by now.

Thank you Americans for all the soldiers you have sacrificed and will sacrifice on our behalf. I, for one, am grateful.

15. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The United States' intervention in Iraq is what ended up creating the Islamic State / Daesh. The United States has a very powerful military, yes, but it also goes without saying US intervention in many places has been a complete quagmire. (Iraq, Chile, Nicaragua, Iran, need I say more)

16. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

I agree BryanM. Military intervention is not always the answer, and the US has tended to rush into situations too quickly. However, I feel it is just plain wrong to demonize the USA.

17. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To completely demonize? I can agree with you on that. Does the US government deserve some criticism from the worldwide community that they get, though? Definitely. Oil and fighting anything similar to communism was US foreign policy checklist for quite some time. We even funded Al Qaeda back in the 1980s so that we could get oil. Reagan even called them "freedom fighters". While there is a bit more nuance than that, it was still a major problem with our foreign policy.

18. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I wouldn't really expect anything else from one of the worst countries ever.

19. Gen

Gen

It's unbelievable that the United States of America is allies with a country that is rashly and ruthlessly killing civilians in the name of ridding the world of terrorists?

20. Origamidragons

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    World: You know, they're executing civilians over there.
    US: Yeah but oil.
    World: But don't you think you should do something?
    US: As soon as there's no more oil.
    World: It's happening very soon in a country that you're-
    US: OIL.