1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Same sex relationships and Christianity

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by PatrickUK, May 31, 2021.

1. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In a comprehensive academic study, the Wingaards Institute comprehensively dismantles the arguments against same sex relationships from a Christian/Catholic perspective.

Over 81 pages the clobber passages are pulled apart and set in proper context - a context few of us may be completely unaware of.

If you have struggled with your faith and sexuality you may wish to devote some time to reading this:

https://www.wijngaardsinstitute.com...an_same_sex_relationships__interim_report.pdf

2. SteveBi45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Oh where to start with the catholic church! This is the institute who used to have orgies and go on murdering rampages around 300 years ago, but considered it ok as long as they asked for forgiveness. They obviously changed their views on this some time ago, and now they may finally "START" to think about the topic of same sex relationships.

This report is a good start, but will it really make any difference? It needs to be delivered and agreed with those higher up in the church.

I have no doubts about my faith - I consider myself a christian, holding the values that everyone is equal and should be treated with respect - but I have a problem with the church itself. According to them, the rules are "love your neighbour as yourself - unless of course they're not straight and don't follow our way of life". - It's way to slow and behind and conservative in it's teachings and rules. Perhaps it's the same for other religions, but I don't know them so well.

3. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can attest that Baptists and Pentecostals are the same, at least the organizations are though maybe not all individuals who identify with either.

4. SteveBi45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This is also true in the catholic church. I was lucky enough to grow up with open-minded priests who had their own personal views which differed to the church. It helped me to be able to separate the difference between church and religion

5. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I grew up in an extremist version of the Southern Baptists and I have learned also that there is a difference. I am now an apatheist though.

6. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the problem with the Southern Baptists in the United States is they're motivated to ensure their congregants hate the LGBT community specifically because they're in bed with the Republican party and keeping us as the bogey men keep people voting Republican to "protect the children" from us. It all goes back to the 1970's/ 1980's Jerry Fallwell "moral majority" garbage. There's books and stuff about it. If my faith were a pile of Jenga blocks, learning about this removed the bulk of them. It's not what finally brought it all crashing down for me, but it made it not very hard to do.

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for posting this. Even specific denominations are caught up in tug of war battles over LGBT sexuality that are almost splintering them. Like one member said, it depends on the clergy that leads up the church you attend. It makes for a big difference.