1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rock Bottom

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Billy the kid, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Billy the kid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I am depressed, I came out to my family and all my friends. Everyone at work knows. So I'm completely out finally. However I did something bad and got fired. Or I should say I resigned. I'm not going to get into details about why because I'm trying to put that behind me. So Im completely out but I don't have a job now. I have no experience doing much. No degree and I'm a lost soul. I'm so depressed and I'm loosing my health care. I am afraid of what the future brings for me I am 50 and don't know what to do.

2. CoraFrost

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sending you love and hugs. I'm sorry that your coming out was also paired with something challenging and negative.

When you're ready to brainstorm next steps for getting back on your feet, I'm sure this community can come up with some ideas.

Billy the kid likes this.
  3. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry to hear that you lost your job. While it's natural to feel down in response to such an event, down the road you may come to see this as a gift that gave you a chance to start over.

Congratulations on being fully out! Coming out is a big accomplishment that's also great preparation for a job search! With determination and persistence, you will find a better job (just like you were able to come out)!!!

Please don't wallow. Pick yourself up and get on with it. Apply for unemployment insurance (your eligibility will be determined by the reason for the termination) and connect with state-funded career centers that help workers in transition. They will help point you in the right direction. It's important that you start your search today. After 6 months to a year, it gets harder to find a job because employers start making really unfair assumptions that something must be wrong if you could not find a job in that period.

#3 SiennaFire, Oct 18, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    Billy the kid and onlyhuman33 like this.
  4. Billy the kid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you CoraFrost and SiennaFire for your support and advice. I am going to be able to collect and I am going to checkout a career center near me. I have also taken an entrance exam to get into a local technical school. You never really are fully out. I guess all of the new people you meet you end up having to tell, but that's easy now. I just hope I can make it through this hard time of my life. Thank you again.