1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Religious Grandmother

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by FtMart, May 15, 2014.

1. FtMart

Okay guys Justin here.

So my grandmother on my dads side of the family is very religious but i don't know her views on the lgbt community. I'm supposed to be staying at her place two weeks during the summer and I want to come out to her but I don't know how shed react. I'm an FtM. That and im her only biological "granddaughter". What should I do? I've only known her for a few years. Please help. I have a cousins support on that side of the family but this thats it for family acceptance. My father doesn't know yet. I'm his only child.

Any suggestions??

Thanks.

- Justin
    :bang::help:

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well put it this way, you tell your grandmother and your dad is going to know about it almost immediately unless she is VERY accepting and exceptional at keeping secrets.

Personally I'd make sure your dad knows first...

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree. I don't think you can tell your Grandmother and hope to keep it from your Dad.

You didn't say what religion your Grandmother practices or what denomination she is. Assuming it's Christianity, there are three possible outcomes if you go ahead and tell her:

1) Positive acceptance (on the basis that Christians should love and not judge/cast the first stone)
    2) Indifference (no judgement or criticism, but no gestures of warmth or respect either)
    3) Hellfire and brimstone (total rejection and condemnation with warnings of dire consequences)

Before saying anything, it might be worth sounding her out a little to see how the land lies. Ask a few questions about controversial topics like abortion, birth control and see how she responds. If you get a big red NO, then you might want to keep schtum.. unless you are ready to challenge attitudes.