Relationship age difference?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by alexi12, Jun 24, 2011.

1. theJosephDean

My boyfriend is 25, and I'm about to turn 20 in three days :3

But we got together when I was 18 and he was 23, just turning 24. He's a kid at heart, and I'm a lot more emotionally stable than most of my same-age peers. We definitely make it work :slight_smile:

2. EndlessMusic

EndlessMusic Guest

love knows no boundaries! my parents are 20 years apart (dad's 70 mum's 50) so age-difference isn't a big thing for me.
    although it feels a bit wrong when 18 year olds are with 60 year olds, but it's their choice you respect it
    if you can't show respect to others for their age-difference in their relationship
    how do you expect straight people to respect gay people and their relationships?

3. DarkClarity

I'm 17 myself and I would probably go as high as 21 but no lower than 16. It's mentioned here already but it kinda seems werid to fancy someone who is younger than you are. But, if the two people are happy and love each other then in the grand scheme of things it's not that big of an issue but if your meeting for the first time or getting to know each other then it's more of an issue if that makes any sense especially if one person is underaged and the other isn't.

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

At my age (mid 40s) I feel that anyone young enough to be my son is too young and anyone old enough to be my dad is too old, which would set a range of around +/-15 years. Someone of similar-ish age range is more likely to have similar interests, music tastes and life experiences than someone a lot younger or older.

Another way I have worded it, somewhat jokingly, is that if he doesn't remember Live Aid (the original one) he is too young and if he remembers Woodstock he is too old! :slight_smile:

Obviously for younger people the sensible age-range should be a lot narrower.

5. Rinto

Rinto Guest

There's nothing really wrong loving someone older or younger for one's age. For a 15-year-old teenager that is me, I wouldn't bother loving or being loved by a person even if he/she's older by 10 years to me. BUT as long as he/she has good intentions and could be trusted fully.

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Exactly... but that's the tricky part!

It can also be a problem the other way round, older guy with much younger partner. Is the younger partner really genuine or is he after the older guy's money or free lodgings?

Of course some wider age range relationships are partly for the financial benefit of the younger partner, but that's not a true genuine relationship in my opinion.

7. Miske

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I personally would have less of a problem if their ages were near each other. I guess it's just a bit awkward if you have 2 individuals who seem as if they came from different generations and then they get together.

Then there's personality and it can either get more complicated or "this 40 year old person actually understands me and truly loves me" kind of thing.

8. Shmoe

It's funny, I did an English project where I had exactly that written on a folded up piece of paper and on the inside was an amber alert with a heart over the missing kids face.

9. ICTOAUN

17 yr old together with a 23 yr old. 6 yr difference. but we couldnt be more alike. (*hug*)

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And therein lies the big problem. Creepers are absolutely brilliant at manipulating younger people and convincing them that they absolutely understand them in a way that no one else can. Many of them will literally work on grooming a teen for one or two years before making their move. This is further complicated when (as is common with gay teens, unfortunately) the male parent is absent or the relationship with him is strained; in these cases, the creeper simply has to be charming and nice and, unconsciously, the teen will start feeling the sort of attraction and connection that he never had with his own father... except that this budding relationship is not healthy because, in order for it to continue to work, the teen must remain dependent and in need of the older person.

And, as I and others have said, usually by the time the teen realizes what has happened, the damage has been done.

11. Idonteven

the guy I've just started seeing is 5 years older than me, there isn't anything wrong with age gaps once you're past a certain age in my opinion. Once you're in your 20s, pretty much anything goes. Its the business of the people in the relationship, no-one elses.

12. Mr.Pushover

Wouldn't probably go below 15 or above 17. Not that I'm gonna date anybody soon, but if I did it would be between those two numbers at this point in my life :]

13. nemo101

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    hi im constanly being asked out by this gile how lives around the courner and shes 14 and im going to be 18 soon whot do i do can i be with her or not

14. Just Passing

Well assuming there's romance involved any you both love each other, then it's possible. You'll get judged for it and being the older party, you'll be taking more judgement for it and being the responsible adult in the relationship. It would probably be less complicated and judged by other people if she were sixteen though.

15. nemo101

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    i new that im not share whot im going to do we do love each other but its the 4 years diffrences that is the only problem in this relationship

16. Hitchhiker

I'm 18 and I would feel comfortable dating 2 years older and 2 years younger... I don't know, it'd be weird dating a 21 year old because they would be in a different place than me (like drinking, more responsibilities, etc) and even high school age... It would be weird since I'm in college. I'd most like to date someone in the college age range, I suppose.

17. redstormrising

i still feel weird about dating anyone younger. but i'd probably date up to, say, mid-40s?

18. AngelicDemonic

for me, at the moment, 1 year down, 2 years up.

Anyone under 12 is *probably* not old enough to date
    Anyone over 15 is getting into the "creepy"

19. Miss T

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've personally went down this road before. Being on the young end of this. I must say, it's different for everyone.. not every relationship is the same. You're typically in different mind sets during your teens, 20s, 30s and so on. Also the younger you are, the less the age difference should be, keep it rational. With 18+ if you're happy? More power to you :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

20. Flyers2011

Right now, I wouldn't date anyone younger than me because that would be illegal and I have no ambition to go to jail.

In terms of older, I'd go four years at the most, anything older than that wouldn't fit with me. I'd like to date someone who's in the same place in their life, in terms of commitment levels, life goals, etc. I wouldn't want to date someone who was ready to have kids or get married when I'm not. It's not fair to them, they need someone who wants similar things.

I think any age difference can work, as long as it's legal and both people have the same long term aspirations. It's all a matter of how they work together.