1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recovering Spirituality?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Sartoris, May 20, 2015.

1. Florestan

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess the best way to describe myself right now would be "broken Christian." A few months ago I got completely sick of the evangelical world I'd grown up in. Now I'm trying to start over and find my own path. I still think Christianity, in its pure form, has a very powerful message. But I'm also willing to be more humble about it than I once was. I recognize that there are many things in the universe that I don't understand, so I'm happy to hear what others have to say about their own spiritual journeys. I feel so much more free now that I don't have to have all the answers.

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me, going to church connects me more closely with my spiritual side (God) and brings a feeling of peace, stability and structure to a fairly chaotic and otherwise busy life. I need that and I'm happy to admit that it's a need. I'm sure many people could find it elsewhere and they would tell me that I could too, but I actually like what the church gives me, in that respect. I may not be fully on board with the liturgy or scriptural messages, but that doesn't detract from overall experience.

The tranquility of the church building is something else and it really frees my mind. The burning candles, ornate architecture, stained glass adds to the experience. If I was of the Anglo-Catholic tradition I might also get something from wider rituals, but that's not really for me, even though I can see the attraction.

3. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sartoris - Thanks for your kind words. I am happy to pick up on your question and comments.

The division of 'religion' and 'spirituality' is a very modern one. The actual use of the word 'spirituality' in English only dates from the early years of the 20th century, and is a translation of the French spiritualite, a word which became common in 17th Century France to denote a method of prayer. It was a safe word at a time of discord over Jansenism in the French Church. Anyway, it was generally used to denote a method, often in counter-reformation Catholicism highly structured, of mystical prayer, often associated with a particular religious order - thus Carmelite Spirituality, Franciscan Spirituality, and so on. I think the modern divorce of spirituality (if we take that to mean a way to approach God) from religion (if we take that to mean the cultural structures in which we do that) is false and unhelpful. It is characteristic of an individualistic age, in which personal truths must always trump revealed truths, the sovereign individual the community.

And here we come to your question - why is my relationship with God fraught? The fact is, if God is real, it is unrealistic to assume that a relationship with him will be anything other than demanding. The modern desire for spirituality seems to want a comforting experience of the divine other, without any of the hard choices of religion. God is painfully present to me. I wish he would leave me alone! I envy those, the vast majority of people, who go through life untroubled by religion and God. They seem to get on just fine. I have tried to honestly followed where I think God is leading me, and it has led to a rather unconventional life. I am currently a (very unhappy) member of a religious order. I am desperate to get out - but being middle aged and having no money makes that very hard. How did I end up here? What was God thinking about? The truth is, I am pretty sure it will all make sense it due course. It always does in retrospect. Looking back, I can always see a providence guiding things.

So my relationship with God is a sort of 'Can't live with him, can't live without him' thing. But I know full well he wont go away. The Hound of Heaven is always there.

That spirituality must be rooted in religion is also the reason why I am, and will remain I suppose, a Catholic. It represents my western cultural heritage. I can only relate to God as a western European. Orthodoxy appeals, as its liturgy is aesthetically more appealing than the modern Roman Rite of the Mass. But it would require a cultural shift that I am unable to make.

4. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: LMAOF im sorry honey when i write on mobile phones i never use them :badgrin:

5. choirsmash

I'd been struggling a lot with being spiritual without being religious since I was raised catholic. I saw this quote from Pope Francis on facebook "It is not necessary to believe in God to be a good person. In a way, the traditional notion of God is outdated. One can be spiritual but not religious. It is not necessary to go to church and give money - for many, nature can be a church. Some of the best people in history did not believe in God, while some of the worst deeds were done in His name." That was posted by the man who inspired me to get out of organized religion (it was causing me a lot of problems with anxiety and depression) and explained how nature is his God (I always knew I had a connection to nature like that, but I didn't know that could be a thing). I think it was important that the Pope said this, he's basically saying that you don't have to be religious to go to heaven and that can comfort those of us who have trouble believing and practicing religion.

6. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That seems to be doing the rounds. Pope Francis didn't say it. If you think about it, he would be very unlikely to say anything like that.

7. choirsmash

Wait what

8. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Look for it yourself. It has been doing the rounds on facebook since December last year. Pope Francis never said it. If you can find evidence to prove he did, I will walk naked through St Peter's Square singing The Sash My Father Wore.

9. choirsmash

Just checked it out on snopes.com...why do people do this.
    Can you go through St. Peter's Square like that anyway? haha

10. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Next time I'm in Rome. I promise. I'll post it on youtube or periscope or something.

11. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As an update, while I still haven't set aside time to deeply reflect on what people have told me here or my own thoughts things have generally been more... 'relaxed' in my mind, for better or worse, on the subject. To the point where on certain days or during moments I can feel an openness again that encourages me. I also had a conversation with a friend sometime last week who, while not affiliated with any religion right now, has her sense of spirituality and the conversation left me more hopeful than I'd been in awhile.

By contrast, I happened to begin a conversation with a coworker just a couple days ago which I almost instantly regretted... Was interested when he mentioned his family attending an 'unaffiliated' church [presuming this meant a Unitarian one] but was quite the opposite. To summarise, after revealing my desire to explore different religions it felt like a conversion attempt. x_______x Never ever talk about spiritual matters with someone you hardly know. :eusa_doh:

Florestan: I can only imagine how that must've felt and would say that I'm sorry for the impact it's left on you though it seems the experience pushed you to find a more rewarding path? My interactions with more conservative/evangelical Christians has, fortunately, been limited yet the few there have been leave me very... unsettled? and wondering if I'm too disconnected from spirituality.

I hope following this new path continues to be helpful for you. (*hug*)

Patrick: Going off this, I've been wondering how you pursue spirituality in your personal life and/or at home outside of the church? Whether it's meditation, reading texts and reflecting on them, discussing thoughts with others and/or something else entirely.

Camel: Hadn't known that, but it being a 'modern' division makes sense. Personally I don't make the distinction to strictly divorce one from the other, but acknowledging that one's pursuit of spirituality doesn't always fall within the context of a religion. So overlapping, in my view, rather than separated.

Demanding in the sense of trying to reconcile the contradictions we face on a daily basis, either within ourselves or the world at large, I presume. I somewhat envy them as well, at least those who aren't religious extremists [who, in a sense, seem to be 'untroubled' by both.] Yet I don't wish to have neither in my life or to be concerned with them, however vague they're important concepts for me which I've never been able to understand for myself let alone anyone who more easily dismisses them. Then, responding to your experience, I envy those who can still feel a spiritual presence in things even if it's to the point of wishing there wasn't. This is something which, so far, I've been unable to connect with. While sensitive, open to hearing about this through others or expressed in aesthetic ways I can't help feeling disconnected or blocked from it myself. As though it were withheld rather than non-existent, if that makes sense.

That's very understandable to me, and I think that the cultural aspect of religion is often underestimated. It's what fascinates me about the diversity of faiths and beliefs, how so many are rooted in the cultural and historical traditions of different peoples and regions. It's also why I am put off by anyone who presumes a superiority of their faith over all others... but that's another story.

12. Jellal

I've finally written my replies to your old questions.

I do wonder if you could find some kind of online community that's ... interfaith? Something like that. I never really thought of joining a group like that myself, because like I said, I don't exactly feel the need for the community aspect of religion at this moment in my life. I say that an interfaith group is probably the best answer there because to me it seems to be most likely the place where people won't start dumb arguments with each other, or at least there will be less of them. At least from my experience in my home country, truly spiritual youths who aren't brainwashed backwards by hateful dogma are a real rarity. But I have been lucky enough to meet one or two exceptions in my time. I always felt a strong kind of attraction to people like that—a real faith that fascinates me and leaves a permanent mark. Have you known anyone like that?

To answer your other old question, there was not much conflict that went in my decision to leave behind my religious community. When the straw broke the camel's back, I had no regrets, and I still don't. I guess someone else who had things about the community that they genuinely cherished could feel conflicted over it, but I wasn't one of those people. Now, that isn't to say my experience with the community was all bad. When I participated in things like songs or chants, there was a special kind of power to it. Sometimes when I write I recreate those kinds of feelings I vicariously experience them again.

Which brings me to answer your last old question: yes. I do find that mythology allows for more flexibility, engagement and individual creativity. Especially any mythology I create. If I wish it to be so, I can look at God as a villain, or as a mortal, or as someone woefully misunderstood, whereas in a temple I might be discouraged from seeing God as anything but good. I can take the concepts of community I grew up with and assess their strengths and weaknesses, and I can do the same thing with the personalities of the people I've met (even the most noble and impressive kinds of people) by translating them into fictional characters. It's really fun. I see it as a natural evolution, perhaps a kind of payoff for the years I spent as a regular participant in a religious community—which lasted for about 17 years, altogether. It's given me a lot of material to think about.

#32 Jellal, Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  13. Willa

I identify as a Christian, but I am far from traditional, and I come from a Jewish background and study Taoism. I don't want to just tell you what I believe, so here's what I have for you:

No matter what our religion or spiritual path is, no matter what we call the afterlife, we all agree on the same thing - If you're a half decent person, you go some place good, and the people you love are there.

Heaven, Nirvana, the Ancestral Halls of Valhalla, the Ether, Reincarnation, the Middle Place, the Great Dive Bar in the Sky... whatever we want to call it, we all as human beings have an inherent knowledge that after we leave this physical form, something else happens, and it is beautiful. I take comfort in that. Billions of people all agreeing on the same thing can't be wrong, can they?

14. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Jellal: Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Similarly am unsure whether I'm looking for a 'community,' but at least having more people who can understand where I'm coming from, possibly giving some sort of support or encouragement as well. Younger spiritual people who don't seem brainwashed unfortunately seems rare, from my experience. I don't know whether I've met anyone like that or not. I've known people, on- and offline, who consider themselves spiritual but for whatever reason it never strikes me as a defining characteristic? If that makes sense.

Branching off what you're saying, there's something I've been reflecting on lately. I feel as though what's missing, either in my own experience or how I respond to others' faith is a lack of.... mysticism? in it all. Not dogma, superstition and so forth but a deeper, more profound spirituality beyond the rituals, stories, etc. while still inclusive of these things. Again, that may be extremely vague, but as of now it's the best way I can describe the emptiness, absence going on within me.

If a 'healthy' mythology should be ones which are open to flexibility and dialogue with those who follow it, I have to wonder what is the inherent purpose of them if, presumably, one is not meant to take them literally? There seems a question of what's the line between truths they're meant to present and what is the 'packaging' or 'illustrative' about them.

Willa: I'd like to agree with both those thoughts. Right now, I'm just getting hung up on the facts that not everyone believes in an afterlife or even considers the possibility and diversity of spiritual beliefs. I struggle with wondering whether these two things are evidence of there being nothing, but don't want to fall into the trap of contemplating these things in a black-and-white manner [which I think many others do.]

What's worse is I'm in an extremely vulnerable place regarding these subjects, and distract myself from thinking about them in fear of becoming utterly hopeless. :frowning2:

#34 Sartoris, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2015