1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recovering from a break up; I need real feedback

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ithinkiamgay, Oct 17, 2017.

1. ithinkiamgay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi there

I know this is common and there are tons of articles out there, but it hurts & I wanted to vent it out somewhere.

My girlfriend of close to 3 years wants nothing to do with me.
    We recently (Sep 1st) moved into an apartment together and now, within 2 months she wants me out of here.
    I'm now moving out this November to another city around here.

Here's my side of the story.

I loved our relationship.
    We fought, but patched up later.
    There was tons of affection.

I called her a bitch during one of our fights in October last year. She'd warned me after that about not calling her that, more like an ultimatum.

But during one of our fights this September, I called her that. I was hurt and wanted to hurt her back in that moment. She is now breaking up with me.

There was so much love between us.
    I can't understand how she is able to hate me so much.
    She said she feels unsafe with me.
    I have never physically abused her, if that is your next question.
    She can't stand my temper.

I promised to work on my temper, promised to go to anger management or any other effort she wants me putting into this. But she's made up her mind.

Questions
    =====
    I know I should have taken her ultimatum seriously and not hurt her, I know.
    I imagine myself reliving that incident a thousand times with a thousand different ways I could have vented out my anger differently, without hurting her so deep.
    My question is, is she right in breaking up for this?

I love her so much.
    I begged her to take me back, I know I'm pathetic...but I can't stand the thought of not having her in life.
    It didn't change her heart.
    Did she never love me?

These are the last few days before I move out and into the new place.
    She talks to me like a friend.
    Yesterday, she hugged when sleeping.
    I have so many questions...She doesn't want to talk about this.
    The moment I bring this up, she cries and refuses to talk about it.
    Is she evil or confused? What is going on in her brain?

I feel terrified at the thought of living alone in the new place now.
    I'd have to look for a roommate to make the rent a tad more bearable.
    I feel like my life has become so miserable.
    I begged her for a second chance and she didn't give me that...
    I'm still hoping that we might reconcile in the future, am I crazy?

Am I bad person?
    Don't you fight with someone you love ?

2. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First off, I'm terribly sorry to hear this. Break-ups are hard, no matter how you look at it. But even more so with long-term relationships.
    I don't think it's a matter of her never having loved you, but she's hurt because she explicitly told you not to call her a bitch again. Maybe she needs some time alone to sort out her feelings. I'm not trying to give you false hope, but the saying goes, absence makes the heart grow fonder. So maaayyybe that'll be the case with her and her feelings toward you. The fact that she hugged you whilst sleeping, means that there's still a little bit of love left, but she's hurting and needs some time apart.

Recognizing that you have a bad temper, it is a big step in the right direction. Maybe you should follow through with anger management and see if that helps you at all. I know you've said that you have never abused her (physically) but you have abused her verbally by what you said to her/what you called her, and that is just as bad. Maybe she feels like you don't love her anymore, and that's what led to the break-up? We cannot tell you what's going on in her head, because we don't know either of you in real life. However, we can try to guess what's going on with her by putting ourselves in her shoes.

I know that if someone I've been dating for so long, calls me a bitch during an argument, I'd feel very hurt and confused, because calling someone something so offensive isn't exactly a sign of affection. I will understand though that sometimes people say stuff in anger that they don't necessarily mean, and then live with the regrets later on, in the event it leads to a break-up. Which is where you are at now. Again, maybe she needs some time apart to figure out whether or not she will give you another chance and whether or not it'll be worth it to try again. Some actions have a way of popping up again when you least expect it so maybe she's scared that you'd call her a bitch again in future, which obviously influences how she sees you and how she feels about the relationship.

If you can, maybe sit her down and tell her that you still love her and will give her some space to sort through her feelings and also ask for her forgiveness. She may or may not forgive you for what you've said, but at least you will get some peace of mind that you've asked for forgiveness, and basically did all you can to get the relationship back on track. Having been with someone so long, puts us in a place of security. It makes us feel invincible in a way, and comforted. Suddenly losing that, makes us feel the complete opposite. We feel weak, sad, and uncomfortable. We feel like we're missing a big piece of our lives. Which is true in a sense. But the best way to get over it, is to occupy your mind and time with something you enjoy. Do you have any hobbies? Maybe you like to write? Try and distract your thoughts from going to the relationship/ break-up by doing something you love.

Is there some sort of place you can go to (not necessarily an LGBT-orientated place) where you can meet people who share the same passions as you? (Talking specifically about hobbies/sports/whatever you enjoy doing). Perhaps try and go out and meet new people, to get your mind off of the break-up, and maybe meet a new love interest along the way... Just try to improve yourself first before entering into a new relationship or before trying to patch things up with you girlfriend. If she sees that you've changed, maybe she'll change her mind about moving on and everything will be okay again. I'm not trying to give you false hope, as also mentioned above, but there's always a chance for getting back together. Just know that should she decide to give you another chance, things will be rocky at first because it'll be like starting again from scratch. You have to regain her trust, and eventually, her love. Don't lose hope just yet. In the meantime, occupy your mind and time by practicing a hobby or something and try to improve yourself in the process, to avoid future fall-outs. I wish you all the best of luck. Hope this helps a little bit. Hugs