1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recovering alcoholic with partner who drinks..

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Nameerf76, Apr 29, 2023.

1. Nameerf76

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    (sorry this is so long!) I wasn't sure what forum to ask this but wondered if anyone else has dealt with this issue - I stopped drinking 12 or so years ago (maybe more?) but my wife still drinks - and is probably an alcoholic really.
    I used to drink basically to self medicate for severe Anxiety and I stopped before I started treatment for the anxiety (I knew it would be the first thing a doctor or therapist would suggest - to cut back - I also knew I couldn't cut back on drinking - I had to quit completely).
    I used to wonder if I really WAS an alcoholic or just someone who drank too much - because I found it quite easy to quit - and I've never looked back or missed it - which is, I know, a different experience to many recovering alcoholics... But all of my behaviour at the time was that of an addict so I really must have been... And I DO feel like, if I started again for some unimaginable reason - I could very easily fall back into that addiction - so I guess that IS the definition of an alcoholic (the definition doesn't really matter I guess - it's just background information!)
    Anyway my wife drinks every day (not a LOT every day - 3-4 glasses of wine) but she CAN'T go without a drink for more than a week and she does drink till she throws up or passes out maybe once a month.
    And I have found it increasingly difficult to bear the smell of wine (or her sleeping wine breath!) So we often sleep in separate rooms if she's had more than 2-3 glasses (it also makes her snore, choke and cough, making it hard to sleep).
    I find the smell almost like a poison or something I'm allergic to - similar to cigarette smoke (I quit smoking 20 years ago and it became a hideously repellent smell after quitting).
    I don't FEEL tempted to drink but I think that's what my aversion is based on - I'm SCARED of starting drinking again even though I don't want to?!
    Anyway, for whatever reason - I would love to have a life where I can come home and NOT be around alcohol (I work in the entertainment industry surrounded by alcohol!).
    I also feel like it's unreasonable of me to want to change HER (especially because, by societal standards she doesn't drink excessively). Though lately I have realised that whether or not it's unreasonable doesn't change my wanting to have an alcohol free home-like.
    Sorry this is so long! But we have discussed it very many times and she has agreed that she drinks too much (more than SHE wants to) - she even saw a therapist about it once - but it never changes..
    So I guess I'm not wondering if I'm being unreasonable but just wondering how other non-drinkers manage living with a drinking partner?
    I also had an alcoholic and violent father so that trauma and my anxiety probably factors into it..