1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really need to vent

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Jared, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Jared

I had a horrible experience this morning with one of the most condescending doctors I've ever encountered. I went in for knee pain, I have a weirdly built knee that is increasingly bothering me. The doctor barely looked at my knee and spent a good 80% of the appointment badgering me about my weight and how I need to lose weight. I was in there three weeks ago to have some staples removed from a head wound, and since I was last there I've LOST 15lbs and I'm taking anti depressants that cause weight gain. I told her to look at the chart and notice that I am losing weight, I can't make it disappear overnight. She just said oh well that's not enough, WHAT THE FUCK do you want from me? She also seemed very surprised when she asked me if I exercise and I told her I walk about 4 miles a day. I felt like I was on trial and everything I said was being disregarded since I was a fat moron who doesn't care about losing weight. It doesn't help that I'm extremely self conscious about my weight and it contributes to my depression. After I left I just wanted to skip class, and go back to bed and cry. :tears::tears:

2. Robbie

I would say, don't care about it. Is she your permanent doctor, or was she just a substitute? Can't you change your doctor? You really don't have to care about her. As I can see your profile pic, there aren't any problem with your look. The most important thing is to be satisfied with yourself. (*hug*) Just keep up the training. Small steps are more succesfull, than forcing yourself too hard.

3. Really

That's what we call a terrible bed-side manner. She shouldn't have spoken to you like that. Does she know you have emotional struggles? She's obviously forgotten the Hippocratic Oath of "Do no harm". If she's your regular doctor, I'd consider changing or finding a way to let her know you didn't appreciate her manner at your last appt.
    If she's not, then you now know how to set the record straight next time you see a doctor. Simply give a brief history before discussing the current issue.
    "I'm on anti-depressants, which contribute to my weight control issues. If you have any suggestions, I'd like to hear them but I'm here today to talk about the pain in my left knee."

Remember you're paying for her services. Make sure you get what you came for.

4. Jared

Yeah she knew about my depression and mental health problems. Unfortunately she is my regular doctor at my university's student health center and we can't easily change doctors, which I shouldn't complain about too much since it is free to go there. I only have 3 and half months left here, so I plan to avoid the center as much as possible.