1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Real issue behind school shootings and gun control

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dano218, Jan 20, 2014.

1. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Again, I think this entire debate turns into a hot mess when both sides want no compromise to get anything done. I'd also rather be an idealist who wants children to go to school without fear of being slaughtered than sit around and say that it's unavoidable.

2. Gia K

Out Status:
    Some people
    ^
    I second that.

3. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't think that's been said by anyone at all, at least not in this thread.

4. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I saw this.

Again, I would totally love to compromise with republicans to get bipartisan common sense gun laws in the works. One side is willing to so far, the other refuses to budge.

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly, it's clear that the system that we have now is not working. I think that's the "inconvenient truth" that many conservatives (and even some liberal) people are overlooking. In the past few weeks, there have been more than a few school shootings. In just this week alone, there were two shootings on a college campus.

The true "idealists" are the ones that want things to continue on exactly the way that they are now, and hope that things improve themselves.

I think that it's common sense that change does not happen overnight, but if there is some change, that means that change can slowly start happening. With recent news, that would be a small success.

6. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yup, and that doesn't at all say that I am not in favor of some sensible gun laws.

I'm simply saying that people should have realistic expectations of how much gun violence can be reduced if new laws were passed with the massive amount already in the hands of people. Gun restrictions that reduce or eliminate new gun purchases will do nothing to get rid of guns that have already been purchased. That's just reality.

With how dysfunctional Congress is, nothing is going to get passed. The NRA is a big problem, too.

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As impartially as I can say so, that's probably not true. Neither side is compromising. The Dems say they are willing only because they are introducing "less more restrictive" laws. Instead of registration, they want "universal background checks" which is another name for the same thing. The right has acknowledged that they don't want to move on gun laws.

Personally, I just want what was mentioned already in terms of social change-- a fix at the root of the issue rather than availability of weapons. If somebody wants to kill, they will find a way. But we root out the desire to kill, and we don't need to infringe on anybody's freedom.

8. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The main reason why I oppose any gun restrictions is that is the very thing that makes America great is thing. The right to bear arms gives you the right to defend yourself and your home. It also lowers the animal population. Do you know how much it costs to fix up a vehicle after hitting a deer or even a fox. A lot. If we didn't have deer hunters there may be more accidents and more people have to pay for these unexpected expenses. Of course people who abuse the right should be prosecuted by law enforcement but any law that infringes on the rights our founding fathers gave us should be protected no matter what. Of course we should make sure guns do not get in the hands of the mentally ills either but we should not look at all mentally people as deranged and ones who potentially could start up a school shooting. What has happened to human dignity and liberties in this country. It is just sad.

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are multiple things wrong with this line of argument. Let's start with the "but the founding fathers!" argument - They also gave white people the "right" to African slaves and the upper class the ability to dominate government. They need to be questioned, and they need to be treated as flawed, corrupt people who set up laws to benefit them, not as the creators of perfect laws. They are not a defence for their own laws. You cannot defend the law with legal arguments, the status-quo with the status-quo.

Animal culls happen in countries with gun controls. In Australia, the government culls kangaroos and employs people to kill foxes and so on. Private gun ownership doesn't need to be involved. I do not see that as a convincing reason to allow shootings to go on.

As for "what has happened to human dignity and liberties?" - The same lobbies and parties who oppose gun regulation are the ones who support draconian government, massive business tax breaks, and a corrupt and essentially useless legal system and law enforcement. They are inseparable and I find it hard to believe that gun ownership is a freedom that offsets the rest of the system; I do not see in any way how guns are an expression of freedom in the first place. The "right" possess tools with the only purpose of killing and the "right" to kill are directly contradictory to the right to life and safety.

#89 Aussie792, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  10. Sarcastic Luck

In regards to animal culls. When you're outside the city limits and there's an animal attacking your livestock, unless you have a firearm of some sort, you're up a shit creek. Dog doing it? Animal control doesn't work outside city limits.

Wildlife? Wildlife service pretty much says to shoot pest animals unless it's something protected. In which case, that's the only time they're going to get involved.

11. Not really. It's extremely easy to pull the trigger quite rapidly.

---------- Post added 23rd Jan 2014 at 06:25 AM ----------

Let's start off with "the right to defend yourself and your home." Guns aren't the only thing that can protect yourself. You could invest in a stun gun. They're just as efficient as a gun, except they only incapacitate the intruder. Also, what about an alarm system? They automatically call the police when your house it broken into.

Also, if you don't want guns to be in the hands of a mentally ill person, they that's what a gun restriction is for. Honestly, if you have a clean record, then why hate all the restrictions?

12. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I understand that slavey was defended back than and I am in no way defending slavery as being a good thing. There are amendments that are completely wrong and no way acceptable in any society. I am just saying guns have been used to protect us for years from dangerous animals and potentially dangerous people so why take them away now. A guy makes one misjudgment one night and goes driving and gets arrested for felony DWI. Therefore he can never buy a gun. I believe violent offenders should never able to buy guns and I support reasonable background checks and for guns to be banned only for violent felony offenders. Yes I household can purchase a alarm to alert the police when someone is breaking and entering their house but a gun can probably finish the job faster than a police officer can. A person can still break in as the police are coming and somebody could get killed.

I am a democrat and I totally disagree with most republicans except for abortion and gun ownership. So am from from being a conservative republican. Well I get your example about private gun ownership my dad loves hunting and I am not gonna take that away from him. Me and my boyfriend hit a fox this fall and we don't have enough money to fix the damages. If it hit a deer we would not have enough money to fix the vehicle and be without one. We need hunters to decrease the population so less accidents happen and stuff like that. Letting the government do the hunting would also be a kind of gun restriction that I would not be ok with.

---------- Post added 23rd Jan 2014 at 06:50 AM ----------

I understand what your saying and I agree that a stun gun would be a safer option.

13. Ruprect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    One could argue that the right to have said tools is directly tied to the right to life and safety, especially if as you claim, law enforcement is essentially useless. It's interesting that in countries with strict gun control there seems to be much higher rates of contact crime.

14. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know i am gonna get hate for this but i feel much safer defending myself with a gun than with my fists or anything else.

The fact that police or any authority should be trusted with guns is very absurd. With all the police unlawfully shooting people why should they be trusted with guns either. Police have abused their power time and time again and no way all trust be left to police officers who are supposed to protect and serve people not abuse their power.

#94 dano218, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  15. Ruprect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I fully agree.

16. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ignoring for the moment the impracticality of having a whole cadre of psychologists to perform "relevant examinations", whatever that might mean in practical terms, there are hundreds of millions of guns in this country, and little to stop a "deranged" person from breaking through a glass patio door and stealing a gun from a "certified-safe gun owner". The original Sandy Hill shooter stole the guns he used from his mother, then killed her, then went to shoot up the school. Most states DO already have background checks, age limits, and strict laws for concealed carrying of weapons; felony convictions or mental problem histories usually prevent obtaining a concealed carry permit. Open carry laws vary from one state to the next, within the limitations of the US Constitution.

What it boils down to is that hundreds of millions of people who have guns do NOT go shoot up schools with them, or rob banks, or anything else illegal with them. Shooting up schools is already illegal in all 50 states, as is robbing banks, and people. Making something "illegal-er" is not going to stop someone who is intent on killing, and it is not going to stop them from getting whatever tools they need to do it. It would nice if it were that simple and there were no unintended side effects or consequences of trying to keep weapons away from the few and the crazy, but it likely can never be done. The only thing that can stop a determined Bad Guy with a gun, is a Good Guy with a gun; we call them "armed guards". Like it or not.

---------- Post added 23rd Jan 2014 at 11:32 AM ----------

The history of the police "protecting" gays rather than assaulting them goes all the way back to the "Stonewall Inn" incident; it isn't pretty. It isn't going to get any prettier with the cops dressing up like soldiers going into combat, and the "us vs them" mentality which goes with that kind of paramilitary training.

17. Ruprect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    One common theme that seems to go along with these mass shootings is that they occur in gun free zones. My concealed weapons instructor used the phrase "target rich environment" when talking about these so called safe zones.

18. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If you're a member of the criminal classes then the phrase "gun free zone" just means "easy pickings". All they do is prevent idiots who would have taken a gun to school from firing it to solve an argument and give the NRA another reason to use when peddling their "we need more guns" shtick after a shooting.

If you want to actually do something about school shootings then you need to tighten up gun ownership laws.

19. Ruprect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    How exactly will more laws help? Criminals don't obey the law to begin with.

20. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly. We also can't take aways guns from everyone just because of violent crimes. There are responsible gun owners out there and their rights ought to be respected. I think banning guns from some convicted felons is wrong too. You have a person with a felony dwi who is not danger to society and he is banned from owning a gun. That is not right.

---------- Post added 23rd Jan 2014 at 09:36 AM ----------

It is not just about gays it is about everyone. It is about their treatment towards minorities and low income people especially. It also should be unlawful for police to spy on people who are not committing a crime. Me and my boyfriend were parked in a apartment building lot out on a public street and a police officer decides to spy on us because we were parked there. We were taking a break from driving cause we needed to call somebody and pulled into a parking lot just to do a simple task. The police officers way of seeking "potential" activity is dangerous and can be harmful to civilians.