1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rap, metal, country, dubstep--which ones do you like?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Owen, Jan 1, 2013.

?

Which of these genres of music do you like?

1. Rap

25 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. Metal

25 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. Country

14 vote(s)
    23.3%
  4. Dubstep

22 vote(s)
    36.7%
  5. I don't like any of them.

10 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

When I see people talking about music they like, it seems that there are certain genres one can not like and still say, "I like all kinds of music!" Certain genres about which one can say, "I'll listen to any kind of music, except..." without any sense of irony. And it seems to me that the genres that get thrown around like this the most are rap, metal, country, and dubstep.

Which got me curious: how many of us like these seemingly marginalized genres? I want to find out, hence this thread and the poll.

2. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm personally a big hard rock/metal fan myself. I like dubstep too, but it's not really a favorite -- I wouldn't choose to listen to it. The other two I dislike.

3. djt820

I enjoy rap before the 00's hit. Same thing with country up until the 90's. And of course, if anyone knows me, I love metal.

I can only enjoy dubstep ironically. It is such a nonsense genre. Putting a fast LFO on a bass synth doesn't constitute a genre of music, in my opinion.

For the record, whenever someone tells me they listen to everything, I always put on Merzbow and test that theory.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The only choice that I don't like out of these is country. I'm ok with some of the crossover country, but I don't like just plain country.

5. Juggalo

I hate and despise country.

I enjoy rap, but only Pyschopathic Records type stuff. The kind of rap I hear on the radio is repetitious garbage autotuned muzak filled with whores and idiots. I have recently discovered, however, that there is this weird new niche developing, where some rappers are more pop-like, and they intrigue me. Can't think of any names of the top of my head.

Love me some rock. Heavy meatal not so much. Dope, HIM, Creature Feature are my favorite rock bands. Also love me some oldies.

I still don't know what dubstep is outside of the game Borderlands. All of my knowledge about it consists of Claptrap saying WUB WUB.

6. madi

I like mostly soft rock/alternative rock and pop none of which are options :frowning2:

7. Alexander69

I don't mind dubstep but I love pop music like Britney Spears Christina aguilera wynter Gordon Mia Martin so on

8. Capichino

I like pop not those ones

9. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

There's still plenty of great rap coming out these days. Check out Lupe Fiasco, Kendrick Lamar, or Killer Mike, to name a few.

A yes, noise music. Even as someone who unironically listens to classical black metal, DSBM, and drone metal, I still sometimes find it hard to really call it "music". It is called "noise", after all. But then again, if someone is going to say they listen to "everything", and not just any kind of music, I suppose its fair game. And there's probably no better genre of music to test that claim than noise.

10. Bree

I like music with decent lyrics--there are country, rap, and metal songs that like. Country has a tendency to get repetitive, and lots of rap artists are simply vulgar. Metal music can overpower the vocals...and the songs where the artist is literally screaming make my throat hurt too much in sympathy to enjoy. I don't know how they go on tour, do they lip sync?
    Noticeable autotuning is a turn-off.

11. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm good with some country artists, The Civil Wars and a bit of Lady Antebellum come to mind.
    Certain rap artists are fine, too. I adore Azealia Banks, and Jay-Z is alright.
    I can get behind a good dubstep break in a pop song, but other than that I don't care for it.
    As for metal, I am entirely apathetic. I listen to it often enough if I go somewhere with my dad but it's not something I would ever care to listen to on my own.

12. djt820

Hahaha.

And I'll definitely check those out. I'd like to hear some likeable modern rap.

13. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I voted for Dubstep. Most of the time I like it. I'll never willingly listen to rap, metal (while technically impressive) makes my head hurt, and country is iffy enough that I've got to say I generally don't like it. I'm just a pain in the ass to please with music. :S

My favorite genre is classic rock and a few outliers like Jimmy Buffett. <<He was originally pretty country, but quickly developed his own style which is absolutely phenomenal. His music could chill out a rabid honey badger.

#13 Argentwing, Jan 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  14. timo

I voted for dubstep and metal (my thing is more metalcore, though). I'm not one to play dubstep at home but dubstep parties are always fun.

Likeable rap is a rare thing, but some of it is actually very good. Country definitely isn't my cup of tea.

15. Fiddledeedee

I like the dubstep violin that Lindsey Stirling does (e.g. "Crystallize") but I don't know if that's "real" dubstep, having never listened to other pieces in the genre. I despise rap.

16. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i like rap & older Dubstep [loefah, trifonic that kinda thing]. i've never got into metal, i'm more a hardcore guy. country is just bad

17. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I chose rap, metal and country.

I have liked some dubstep but mostly it is.... tripe.

---------- Post added 2nd Jan 2013 at 11:38 PM ----------

And djt, i really do listen to everything. Including SOME dubstep. I'd be interested to try this testing band of which you speak... Recommend?

18. fallingsnow

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    RAP Don't like country but I LOVE folk.

19. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    pulse demon - YouTube
    try this

20. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

Mostly I'm a metalhead. I always say my taste in music is spontaneous, all over the place, but not secular. I don't like everything, but I like a lot of different stuff. I love different kinds of metal, screamo and alternative rock the most--many things with rock elements I enjoy. I like Indie such as Cat Powder and Sia (that sad whisper type singing, love it. :grin:) The only rap/hip-hop I like is this one Russian artist named Potap that has some really catchy songs. Otherwise I'm not a fan of rap and hip-hop. I don't enjoy country or folk at all. I also enjoy different kinds of pop (foreign and domestic) and love classical like piano and other classic instrument music (violin, harp, flute, etc.) I like Opera--especially love when the old and modern come together like classical mixed with rock/metal: [YOUTUBE]OcUulyx5HM0[/YOUTUBE]

:eek: Amazing! One of my favorites. :grin: I wouldn't call myself a techno fan, but I do like a few songs by that Swedish Bass Hunter guy. Besides that, I'm not interested in trance/dubstep or anything like that.

#20 WillowMaiden, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2013