1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[rant] my brother [rant]

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by biisme, Mar 8, 2008.

1. biisme

I can't stand my brother!!!!!!

Ok, so my brother is 10 years old, and he has some issues. He has ADHD, and some sensory problems. But, those don't account for the way he acts!

He screams and throws a fit at every little thing. For example, he had a fit at lunch because the meatballs in his sandwhich were sliced and not in ball form, and then he threw a separate fit because we got the sanwhich from a pizza place and not from Subway. And when I say throw a fit, I mean he throws a fit.

He'll scream and yell and throw things. And he won't stop!!!! If you get him to stop (usually by naming a looming ounishment if he continues) then he'll stop and slowly start back up again. Just talking and making comments to yelling again. And, then when you do something, either tell him to stop, or send him to his room, or anything he'll cry and yell about mean you are and how you shouldn't have done that and:

"why did u do that? that wasn't nice! you shouldn't have sent me to my room! that was mean! YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE DONE THAT!!!!!"

When he was younger my parents used his ADHD as en excuse and anything he did wrong they said "he can't control it". And they told him this sometimes: "it's okay, we know you couldn't help it." And now he uses this as an excuse. Anything he did is not HIS fault, nooooooo.....for everything, he couldn't help it!

My parents' patiences are wearing thin and they yell at him, or send him to his room, or get mad. My mom will slam cupboards and say "i'm slamming them so i don't hit you like i want to" and all this stuff.

And yet, I have to put up with it. I have to sit there while he screams at me, and says snide things and acts like a brat! I manage to hold my temper at least twice as lon as my parents, and then all I say is "please go away. please go away. please go away. GO AWAY!" And then when I finally yell at him after telling him nicely 25 times, IIIIIIIIIII get yelled at:

"He can't help it. You know he has trouble controlling himself. You need to be more patient." My parents are so hypocritcal.

And he's causing tons of problems. Everyone's always mad because he's always flipping a shit. My parents argue at each other about what they should do.

Anyway, I just had to vent a little to take y mind off the screaming going on behind me.

2. Negasta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There is no other way to deal with a child like your brother than a few good smacks on the ass.

A lot of so-called ADHD cases are just kids that aren't disciplined enough.

3. CaptainTrips

You know what? i think you should ask your parents to consider military school

4. I have the exact same situation at home, except without the ADHD. My 12 year old sister treats me like a piece of garbage and i get in trouble when i get mad at her ALL the time. I always get "you just have to be patient with her" etc. So now I just generally avoid talking to her at all, and so far we haven't had a fight or anything.

Its probably not the best way to solve your problem but I guess it could be your last resort

5. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

Perhaps you should try hanging out with your little brother.

6. panda

Biisme , It sounds like your family might need some form of family counseling.It appears your brother is controlling the family. Or your brother needs a complete check out by a doctor.
    It can't be a good environment to live in.

7. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

Spend more time with him, teach him why the things he does are bad, and how he can change and start living a better life without eternal punishment every time he opens his mouth. Instead of writing off your problem on a counselor, perhaps you should sit him down in your room and have a heart to heart. He's your responsibility whether you like it or not...

8. Ty

Ty Guest

This is why im moving away from my family when I get the chance ^_^ no more siblings.

9. Alexander

OMG my brother is the exact same way. He's sooooo annoying. After he watched tv for like 4 hours he started yelling at me for telling him to turn it off.... :-/

A lot of things like that happen. there's nothing you can do about it but ignore them.

10. jroakwood

all i can say is props to you!
    because youre way more patient than i would be.

hahah. if he was my brother, i wouldve hit him already.

11. WilbersRevenge

(*hug*) I'm sorry to hear that:icon_sad:
    Here's hugs to try to help:
    (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*)

12. CrimsonThunder

Sorry, but yes it does account for the way he acts.

My cousin has ADHD and compared to your little brother you have it easy.

I'm pretty surprised by the terrible replies to people in this thread.

You know nothing on the subject and what is abusing your child going to do? Make it scared and obedient? No, a child is not a dog.

You should try to be more compassionate with your little brother his life is fucked up already, do you know how hard its going to be for him to get a good job in the future? He'll probably end up in a mental institution.

13. CaptainTrips

Having personal experience with biisme's brother, i can assure you that he is definitely NOT going to end up in a mental institution. He's very intelligent and can be charming at times, but he has zero respect for authority, and biisme mentioned that her parents are not united in dealing with him, so obviously he's getting mixed messages over how he should respod to discipline. Personally, i get along fairly well with him, all things considered, and once he's mature enough to get along with people and authority, he'll be fine. It's just that at the moment, he's a 10-yr-old who acts like a 7-yr-old, and is treated as such, which just makes him continue acting that way.

and i think Negasta's point was that ADHD is over-diagnosed, and in many cases it's not the root of the problem at all, not that the only way to deal with ADHD in every case is discipline.

14. biisme

yea. he's not crazy, just as annoying as hell.

15. CaptainTrips

well, if i can be completely honest....

I realize that the cumulative effect over a decade has its wearing effects, but most of the time he's just acting like any other (rather spoiled) little boy. He asks for things, and flips out when he doesnt get them, but just 'cause he doesn't understand why anyone would refuse him, when they always have in the past. everyone loses patience with him pretty quickly nowadays, even when he's not doing anything especially annoying. and what's with not explaining stuff to him (like what a bedpan is)? what exactly is that supposed to accomplish?

when I rode next to him for an hour, we had a pretty interesting discussion, and I couldn't figure out why everyone was yelling at him to be quiet. Just speaking to him and treating him like a normal kid seemed to be enough to keep him civil.

yeah, after ten years, you might be getting sick of it, but kids require a lot of energy and attention (some quite a bit more than others) and all in all, he seems quite a bit better than he was even a year or two ago.

16. biisme

This seems a little harsh. I have tried talking to my brother and he will not listen. If I try to even things out, I get yelled at. He is not interested in a heart to heart.

I do not appreciate being told I must fix the problems of my family, when I try as it is. I do not like it, and even though I would say part of the responsibility is mine, I will nto accept all. The parents are the people who have the primary responsibility.

I posted this thread to stop from yelling at him, to stop from hitting him. I am trying. Please do not assume I am not.

17. biisme

Then maybe you're not actually around my house enough. Because, he is significantly worse in the last few months than he was previously.

And, not explaining the bedpan thing was because he knew what it was, and we HAD told him and he just wanted us to say it over and over again.

You know what, somehow this support thread has not felt supportive.

18. CaptainTrips

i'm not trying to attack you, so you don't have to defend yourself!

he's always been civil with me when it's just me, although he does get annoying the way any 10-year-old will, asking questions constantly (repeatedly does get tiresome more quickly, but i was once told that he actually didn't remember the answers....remember that?).

Maybe ten years of the situation has taken its toll on him too. you said he was worse more recently--how so? shorter temper? little-to-no patience? flipping out completely over mundane, unimportant things?

as a side note, do you really think he's got ADHD? he is hyper, yes, but he also has the ability to focus for a long time on a given thing--see any number of examples. attention deficit does not seem like one of his traits.

19. biisme

anway, why don't we just debate in public on monday

20. CaptainTrips

I'm not really sure we take opposing viewpoints? also, that's NEASC week and the school might kick us out to show its authority.