1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Racist fraternity video - Univ. of Oklahoma

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by TENNYSON, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's just like how UC Irvine recently had several student government officials vote to remove the American flag from the inside of their office (it was big news here for some reason... Since UC Irvine is nearby. Not sure if it recieved as much national attention). Anyways, now everyone assumes all UC Irvine students are all anti-American. Lol. Honestly it's probably no different than any other university other than that the media decided to blow it out of proportion. Just like a university in Alabama probably has racist students as well; it just happened to not have a video go viral.

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry, but as a minority who has heard and experienced racism , I can tell you their views are not dumb. They were not ignorant. They absolutely knew what they were meaning. You can't joke about hanging people to stop them from joining your "club" with no consequences. You just don't joke about murder and expect that everyone will be okay with it. It's no different than someone dressing up as a nazi or a klansman and getting in a lot of trouble.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know what more proof you need. When people can make jokes about lynching black students without getting physically assaulted, or at the very least, publicly shamed unrelentingly and to an extreme degree, then you've got a culture of tolerance for racism at the university.

4. CyclingFan

Heh, I did mean to post something about that lil tidbit.

Pretty sure that's a nice public excuse for a chance to go play for a team that's always in the national title hunt. Although tweaking racists is fun too.

oh! That fraternity was founded at the university of Alabama in 1856...before they had a football team and where he would have most definitely been property.

5. Gen

Gen

On the subject of the punishments that were dealt, I always like to point out that freedom of speech is protection from legal persecution. Freedom of speech is not the ability to spout out whatever you wish and not have to face the consequence of your words. If you are a representative for a product or organization and slander the product or company on social media, you will without a doubt be fired and you rightfully should. The issue of modern society on this subject is that many people make light of contracts, they couldn't care less about rules and regulations, and they see the internet as a place that is disconnected that the real world. This is extremely misguided for two reasons.

When you are a head or member of an organization, regardless of whether it is a corporation or academic venue, you are legally a representative of that organization. If a member commits actions on this site that violate the law or legislation having to do with non-for-profits specifics, the heads of this site are held accountable if they do not act. This is not a random example. Corporate law is one of the biggest fields in the world. They can be taken to court. This is the same thing if a government recognized organization, which a university would no doubt be, if they fail to create a safe environment.

Secondly, as a member of a organization, you are required to abide by the standards set by it. Every university students was made to sign contractions on discrimination, harassment, hate speech, etc. Every single employee in the real world are made to sign these contracts. They are imposed on applicants for a reason. Everyone doesn't have to be a legal expert; however, people in society need to be aware that legal issues and contract violations are real. They are real things that can cost millions and take down organizations like that.

6. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you. That is a good exaplanation. If there is contractile rules and they broke them then they should be expelled.

And *Pret Allez I think public shaming and getting kicked out of the fraternity are definitely warranted. I just wanted to know the reason they were expelled. Not the emotional reason but the legal reason. I know it's despicable but I didn't know if they could be expelled for something they did in private.

#26 Austin, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  7. Aldrick

I don't see anything about this up thread: the frat mother got busted too.

Videos at the link.

8. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    So now I guess some alumni and the fraternity on campus are planning on suing the University for disbanding the fraternity and expelling the two students.

I wonder if they'll win because I've heard some people argue that it was okay for the national frat to disband the chapter but not ok for the University to expel the students. But I'm not sure.

9. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Many public universities hold the right to expel a student if that student does something that can damage the reputation of the school. While it's perfectly constitutional to be racist, institutions hold the right to expel you for expressing your racism, as it is not the actual government punishing you.

10. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find the concept of fraternities interesting - such things do not exist here. Why do they exist in the first place, and what purpose do they serve?

11. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't seen it mentioned where the video was taken. Was it on campus or off campus? Was it a university sponsored event or sponsored by the fraternity? I think that would be important in whether or not it is legal. If it is off campus and not a school event then they weren't creating a hostile environment at the school. If it was on campus then they were... interested to see what happens.

12. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Actually, some other countries have them, like in Italy and Germany. At their best, they help create a group that organizes events, dances, dinners, etc. At their worst, they become elitist groups that exist to create an air of aristocracy. This is often the case in the US where often you have to pay some fees to get in, and many fraternities have on-campus housing which is a big luxury. This is why the University of Oklahoma could shutdown this ΣΑΕ chapter so quickly: it has an agreement with the University, which obviously the president thought had be broken.

Also, it is sad that the lawyer bringing the suit for the fraternity helped defend probably the most hated man in Oklahoma, Timothy McVeigh, who was a "homegrown" terrorist. It's sad that we will be celebrating the 20th anniversary of the Murrah Federal building bombing, where McVeigh planted a truck bomb and killed more than a 100 people (the worst attack in America until 9/11/2001).

13. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It takes a special kind of person to defend terrible, terrible people I guess.

14. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Parker Rice, one of the expelled students, released a statement apologizing for his actions, saying he was drunk and finds racism wrong and disgusting.

Well for one, alcohol lowers one's inhibitions, and if you want to see how someone is and what they really think outside the filter of what's socially acceptable, alcohol is a good way to do it.

That said, this wasn't an isolated incident either. The fraternity mom was seen in a Vine video singing the N-word to the tune of a rap song. Rice also said that the song in the video was taught to them by older members of the fraternity.

If something of this nature happened at my school,I'd be the first to stand up and support the administration, even in spite of their recent shenanigans...:dry: