1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quitting alcohol for 2014, is it possible?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Tyrael, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Tyrael

Ok so I have maybe mentioned on here before, I have a drinking problem. I've never done anything about it. I drink late at night, I drink on my days off, I basically drink whenever I'm not working or have work to go to. So I'm not doing anything wrong in terms of my work, but it is unhealthy and expensive.

I have decided that 2014 will be my year. I will do everything I want to do, and make it my own. I have parties etc planned so I can't do this until 2014. However into January I will stop all drinking and get myself into shape. I really will need support. I'm not sure I can do it. Is alcohol really this addictive or have I just slipped into a routine? Quitting smoking was easy...

2. unavailable

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Of course it's possible ..... I'm an alcoholic .... AA helps me stay dry and grounded .... There is frustrating days though ..... I know others who drank a lot as well and quit without AA .... Some stay miserable for a long time after .... I struggled with alcohol pretty much all my life .... Dry out for a while ... Start again ... Over and over ... I'm really hoping this time I'm dry for good though .... Here to chat if you'd like :slight_smile:

3. Gen

Gen

Alcohol, and everything else that can be done in a ritualistic manner, has a possibility of being extremely addictive. Though that doesn't necessary mean that this will be impossible for you to accomplish by yourself, especially if you were already able to quit smoking.

Routine is best combated with routine. I wouldn't advise ended all alcohol consumption entirely on one day. Keep a record of your alcohol consumption for the next week or two and minimize that amount by 25% for the upcoming couple. Continue to fractionalize that amount for the succeeding weeks as they pass and eventually your alcohol consumption will whittle down to a much more reasonable level. Once it holds a minimal impact on your life, then you can decide if you want to give it up completely. Cutting yourself off in a drastic fashion could have negative results.

It can also be helpful to explore other hobbies and pass-times with your free time. Give yourself something to do on these weekends or days off.

4. Tyrael

Thanks for the responses :slight_smile:

You're right Gen I will try and cut down gradually. I know I'm ruining my life and I am watching it happen so it hurts a lot. I am trying to find hobbies and the willingness to take part in them!

5. lssl

lssl Guest

I've said this kind of thing when it comes to my current addiction (cigarettes) and it never works for me. Still smoking. A lot. Usually when you set a time in the future to stop something, it means you won't. I don't want to get you down but if you're serious about this, you really should stop now. Not tomorrow. Not in a few minutes. Because of my mental health issues, I've been in a lot of addiction groups and these kinds of statements are so well known that they have their own name: permission giving statements. They are a form of avoidance of the problem. Ultimately it's your choice if you want to go to these parties but I feel obligated to point this out.

YES! Alcohol is one of the few drugs out there that is so addictive that withdrawal can cause death in more serious cases of alcoholism. Again, not to scare you, but I think calling this what it is is very important especially in the case of addiction. I've told myself that cigarettes are not that addictive for a long time and finally came to terms that I am very much addicted. It's the first step.

I truly believe you can do it. I have a lot of friends who are recovering addicts and some of them have been clean for years. It is definitely possible. First step: AA. Almost everyone I've met who has gone swears by it. It is apparently one of the most supportive environments out there. Also keep talking about it here. Reach out and use all of the support you have available to you. I am always happy to listen if you ever want to message me. Although I don't have any experience with alcohol, I have some experience with addiction and I know how much it sucks. I think it's very brave of you to post about it here and it's a great sign. Best of luck as you make your way through this period of your life and remember we're here to support you!

6. Tyrael

Thank you for all your advice Issl.

I realise you have a point about the permission giving statements. I used to smoke and I said the same thing before I quit. "Just this last pack" etc. Well by parties I mean christmas day, I am spending it with my mum and then my best friend because he has no family for christmas this year. We will definitely drink for that occasion.

I am accepting it is addictive, like the smoking was. I quit smoking cold turkey and have been off them for nearly two years now with no urge to start up again. I thank you for your support and I am sure I can do it! I will look up local AA meetings though because it makes sense to look for support.

I appreciate your support. Likewise I am here for you if you need any advice at all regarding quitting smoking, I know it is not easy.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Point of order: what will you do when 2014 Christmas rolls around and everyone is drinking? Will you give yourself permission to drink 'just that one day'? Because if so, likely that will restart your addiction with a vengeance.

The point being... You can stop drinking any time. You can start drinking any time. There will always be an excuse, justification, or rationalization to put it off or do it 'just this one time'.

Alcoholism is a serious problem, and yours sounds serious. It it a brain chemistry issue and one that takes time, retraining, and a lot of support to conquer, but you can and will do so if you are committed to doing so.

I think you will find AA to be extremely beneficial, and holding yourself accountable here will also help. Let us know when you are ready :slight_smile:

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alcohol is addictive; no uncertainty about it. It's going to take a ton of willpower and vision to kick it.

It can be done, though. My dad drank habitually and destructively for decades, and I thought he would drink himself to death. He didn't, though. He had some serious health scares and something kicked his ass in such a way that he voluntarily went to a treatment center, got clean, and now hasn't had a drop to drink in months. I'm thankful he turned his life around and really proud of his sudden display of strength.

He tried before to cut down before, but that didn't work for him. Any amount was "one more drink" away from enough. If weaning yourself off works, great. But if it doesn't, PLEASE recognize that so you don't waste effort and feel like you're failing.

It's a major lifestyle change. I know you'll feel much better once you make it happen though, so good luck. <3

9. photoguy93

This is NOT anywhere near this, but I'll say that for years, I wanted to lose some weight. I wanted to finally feel good about my body and feel like my body was looking good.

Yeah, I can remember countless springs I'd say that - "I'll lose weight and come back for fall and I'll have everyone jealous!"

Didn't happen. Didn't happen. Finally, this year, when I just randomly decided to make changes, I did it. I feel better now! It's all good!

My point is that I don't know if you're totally ready to do this. First, why can't you have a party without alcohol? If you're having people over that don't understand you, or won't be okay with spending time with you without alcohol, then.....that's not good for you.

It's really good that you are not drinking at work or such, but you could still easily be a functioning alcoholic. Alcoholics aren't simply drunks on the street - it can be anyone.

We are always here to support you - I just think you have to be really be serious about this and make some major changes.