1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quite the Pickle I have Gotten Myself Into

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by link4816, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Jupitrsa

Jupitrsa Guest

Hi Link

I am in a VERY similar situation to you, but with a few differences: 1) i have 3 children and 2) i have met an awesome guy.

In my opinion there are only really 3 options:
    1. You stay with your wife and have relationships with men without her knowing (terrible option for both of you)
    2. You stay with your wife and have relationships with men with her consent (perfect option for you, but what about her - will she be able to see other men too / would she want to or even consider this)
    3. You guys seperate as a married couple but remain good friends.

These are really the only 3 options.

I know at the moment you feel very optimistic about your marriage and the status quo, but all of that can change in the blink of an eye if you develop a deep emotional connection with a man - then it will no longer just be the sex you will be longing for, but the intimacy as well. Try to picture what you feel for your wife, now transfer that onto someone you feel incredibly sexually attracted to. Could your wife compete? Would you still stay?

As far as kids go: DON'T HAVE KIDS NOW. Don't even consider it unless you and your wife have settled on option 2 or 3. Your children may fulfill you and your wife as individuals, but the stress they will add will magnify all the problems you are currently facing.

Well that's my 2c worth. I am also new to all of this, so don't hesitate to contact/msg me if you want to chat.

Stay strong!

2. bipossible

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What a fascinating thread to follow. Thank you for posting. I am, and have been, living a very similar experience. The only major difference being that I came out to my wife as bisexual before we were married so we didn't have to contend with the betrayal issues later on down the road during our 29 years together. Like you I continually struggle with the desire to be in a loving relationship with another man while attempting to maintain a healthy and loving relationship with my wife. I think because I was only out to my wife and no one else for many years that I disavowed the same sex attraction part of me. At age 45 that disavowed part came rising to the surface with a vengeance demanding attention and I am still in the process of figuring all that out along with my wife. It's a pathway not a destination.

I think what you are doing right now is as it should be, particularly the fact that the two of you are communicating and continuing to communicate. Try and let go of the cultural narratives that try to dictate how you and your wife should construct a relationship. Let things grow and evolve, as they will anyway, and try not to hold too tightly to an ideal or expectation of how it has to be, or that decisions need to be made and a course set. All relationships are living organism and they shift and change over time. I am not (thank god) the same person I was when I got married nor is my wife. The story of our marriage has contained many chapters, and I have no idea what the final one will be. I simply trust that the story will play out as it is meant to play out. It can't help but do that.

That said, I am responsible for my intentions, actions, and doing my work —*which is to live as authentically and as honestly as possible, and do the least harm to others around me. My wife is responsible for doing her work. It is wonderful that you recognize the strengths and competencies your wife possesses. Now try to trust in them. Too often I read stories such as yours where the man wants to protect the wife, or care for her out of concern or guilt. As lovely as that may seem it is patriarchal and quite frankly selfish. Continue to be honest and respectful with each other and the path will reveal itself, knowing all along that your paths may head off in different directions at some point, run parallel, or merge in a new and unique way for a while longer. One thing is for sure though, your relationship is no longer the same so be sure to allow each other to grieve that.

As for experiencing a loving and intimate relationship with another man while being married, I have had the joy of experiencing two longish term relationships with men over the years while remaining married and committed to my wife. In the most recent one I was trading off weeks living with him and then living at home with my wife and son. Over time however, it was very difficult to sustain this arrangement for a variety of reasons. The three of us are in the process of determining what form our relationships will now take. During those relationships with men I was able to fulfill many of the needs and desires for which I longed, but at the end of the day it was my wife and family where I felt the most fulfilled and at home. Will that always be the case? I don't know. Like I said, relationships are living organisms and I have no control over the future. But for now it is my wife with whom I want to grow old. I cannot imagine my life without her, but I know that I will be just fine if that were not so.

That brings me to my final point. I would invite you to put some energy into really learning to love yourself, to let go of the shame that so often surrounds those of us outside of the normative hetero culture, and let go of the idea that you will only be fulfilled and whole if you are in a relationship with your wife or a man. Again, all relationships are impermanent, they change. The one thing that will always remain with you in this life is you. Love yourself, learn to be content in solitude, embrace your whole being — particularly all those disavowed parts (the parts that have been closeted for so long).

BTW, I am 53 and I have had no difficulty meeting and connecting with other wonderful gay and bisexual men who are seeking a loving, caring, and supportive relationship. Try not to grasp too tightly to the mental fantasy you have created about what your life could or should be like. Open to the present moment, because all the rest is just fiction anyway.

3. Jupitrsa

Jupitrsa Guest

Hi Bipossible

Thank you so much for your post. I cannot begin to tell you how moving and validating I found your thoughts. Some of the things you said were real AHA moments for me. I have a long way to go on this path I am on, but it makes the journey so much less scary when you realise that you are not walking this road alone.

Thank you once again.

4. link4816

Hello EC Community:

It has been a long time since I posted an update on my situation. Now I have some new questions I am struggling with, and I hope that some of you may be able to offer some helpful perspective. I will start with the update and then ask the questions. This is a super long post, but if you can stand it, I would appreciate any help you can provide in answering my questions.

I. UPDATE

It has been about five and a half months since I admitted to my wife of three years (companion of ten years) that I am gay, that I have admitted to myself that I am gay since I was fifteen years old, and that I married her knowing full well about my feelings about men without giving her any indication that I felt that way. Since the “disclosure,” I have told her every secret—large, medium, and small—that I had ever kept, and she now has a much better sense about what is really going on in my head in terms of sexual thoughts and feelings as well as the reasons why I kept my homosexuality a secret. We are still together, our marriage is intact, and we communicate openly, but with some level of discomfort on both ends, about topics relating to my sexual-related thoughts, desires, and experiences. I have not decided to leave my wife and start my life as a gay man. I have also not decided to pretend like the disclosure never happened. What is different now is the way that my wife and I communicate; at this point, each of us is still exploring how we feel in light of the disclosure and all that comes with it.

Almost immediately after the disclosure, we started seeing a couples therapist. During the nine or ten sessions that we had with her, she helped us to learn how to communicate with each other in a more organized fashion. She also provided us some information about sexuality and sex, and described other peoples’ experiences in relationships in which participants’ sexual orientation is not by definition compatible. For example, she explained that some people may be completely hetero- or homosexual, but for some unexplained reason, they find themselves very much attracted to a person that does not fit their sexual orientation. She also explained that some couples, in particular gay male couples, often come up with some kind of arrangement by which they remain in a committed relationship with their spouses, but they agree that they may step outside of that commitment on occasion to satisfy sexual desires in a kind of “open” relationship. After talking at length about these and many other topics, my wife and I have more or less resolved to accept the following and other realities about our relationship: (1) I am homosexual and have involuntary desires to have sexual and emotional relationships with other men; (2) I truly and deeply love my wife, but it is not the same kind of love that I desire to have with another man; (3) my wife truly and deeply loves me (after all, she has stayed with me though all of this); (4) in moving forward, both of us would respect the other’s decisions about what should or should not happen next, but we will communicate with each other if something bothers one of us; (5) neither one of us believes that an open marriage is realistic; and (6) remaining married means that it would be unacceptable for me to love somebody else (i.e., another man) more than I love my wife.

In the last few months, my wife and I have been able to be happy together, like before. However, for both of us, our feelings have been taking a kind of roller coaster ride. Joy and sadness come and go unexpectedly. Sometimes the distance between us seems large, and other times I feel very close to her. Sex has become an issue. Whereas I always viewed sex as an activity that we engaged in for pleasure and excitement as well as for feelings of intimacy and an expression of closeness, I am learning that, for my wife, the order of those adjectives is reversed in terms of importance—closeness and intimacy come before excitement and pleasure, and if the first two adjectives are not secure, the second two are just not going to happen. I believe that my wife fears that I might leave her at any time, and so she is afraid to commit herself to me intimately through sex because I might just break her heart all over again. We went two months without having sex, despite my advances—the longest we have ever gone since we started having sex together. Recently, we were getting ready to go to an event together, and just before she left, she told me that she was horny. I immediately stripped down and ran to the bedroom, and she followed me up. It was great. Maybe we just need more time on this front.

So, we are still figuring things out. She might change her mind about everything at any moment, and I suppose I might as well. I do not think that it is necessarily inevitable that my feelings will compel me to leave her to be with another man. I do think that me denying myself that natural urge will continue to cause plenty of negative feelings that will be endlessly frustrating, at times depressing, and once in a while downright painful. But such is life, and even “out” gay men have to deal with these negative feelings, just in different ways (e.g., fear, uncertainty, rejection, loneliness, etc.). I am not wallowing in these feelings, just experiencing them and doing my best to move along. It is of course possible that these negative feelings will reach a new, higher level of intensity over time. That would really suck. But I will cross that bridge when I get to it I suppose.

II. QUESTIONS

The primary reason why I am posting is that I am looking for some commentary that might offer some perspective regarding some decisions I have to make very soon. The circumstances of my situation, which are described above and in previous posts in this thread, are forcing me to make some practical decisions about relationships I have with three important people in my life. For each, I have to decide whether I am going to come out to them, and if I decide not to tell them the truth, I have to decide what to do instead. The three people are (1) one of my best friends who self-identifies as straight, is married, and recently had a baby, but for whom I have very strong feelings that will not seem to go away (“Friend #1”), (2) another one of my best friends who is gay, for whom I once had feelings, but who now I just consider as a fun, trusted friend (“Friend #2”), and (3) my seventy-year-old mother who loves me more than anyone else in the world.

1. Friend #1
    The night that I admitted to my wife that I am gay, I told her that I think I had fallen in love with Friend #1. This was one major disclosure on top of another, since basically, I was admitting that with Friend #1, I had cheated on my wife because I was emotionally unfaithful (even though my love was quite possibly totally unrequited). It would take some time to explain my relationship with Friend #1, and luckily, I already have on another thread! See http://emptyclosets.com/forum/family-friends-relationships/97980-impossible-love.html.

When my friend moved out of state, we did not talk nearly as much as we did before, and certainly not as much as I wanted. After the “disclosure” to my wife, I pretty much stopped contacting him altogether because it felt like I was continuing to cheat. But he kept contacting me. He tried to G-chat me on four different occasions, and although I craved chatting with him, I somehow ignored his invitations to chat. After a while, he texted me asking when would be a good time to talk on the phone. I texted back and told him that he could call me anytime. When he called, we finally talked for about 45 minutes. I apologized for not returning his chats, and he said that he just figured I was really busy. As we talked, many of my feelings for him all raced back into my head in a soothing kind of way. I told my wife that he had called and that we had talked. She did not say anything, but I know that it bothered her. He called again a month later and we talked for another 45 minutes or so. I figured that maybe I could stay friends with him and that would somehow be okay.

One evening, I asked my wife about why she had been continually turning down my sexual advances. Among other things, she explained that she did not understand why I felt the need to stay friends with Friend #1 and Friend #2. With respect to Friend #2, I admitted that the feelings were still there and that I should probably back away from the friendship. Since then, he has tried calling me again, and I ignored his call.
    Friend #1 means a lot to me; I genuinely care about his happiness and well-being, and I hate lying to him and ignoring him. At the same time, if I am going to stay with my wife, I cannot keep him close. As our therapist put it, me maintaining a relationship with him—somebody with whom I have such strong feelings—is like playing with fire. At some point, he is going to ask me why I am not returning his calls and chats.

I have been very seriously considering meeting up with him the next time he is in town and telling him the truth. I have considered telling him that I am gay, that I have very strong feelings for him, and that I do not think I can continue to be friends with him because it is too damaging to my relationship with my wife. I am not sure how he would react. Keep in mind that he has always claimed to be straight (even though I have a very strong suspicion that is not the case), so the most likely scenario is that he would be surprised and flattered, but would assure me that he is not gay and that he simply does not have feelings for me. He would likely say that he would hate to lose me as a friend and that we should be able to stay friends because there is no danger in him ever returning my feelings. The worst case scenario is that he would react angrily, upset that I had lied to him. If he is gay, he might feel threatened by my disclosure and might tell our mutual friends what I said in an attempt to shield himself. Even if he told just his wife (an old colleague of my wife), there is a danger that my secret would be leaked. The alternative to not telling him would be to just continue to completely ignore him. But then what happens when we see each other again, perhaps accidentally? What would I tell him then? I am not sure what to do.

2. Friend #2

The night that I admitted to my wife that I am gay, she immediately suspected that I had more of a relationship with Friend #2 than I had let on. Friend #2 is a slightly younger, attractive gay friend with whom I have maintained a strong long distance friendship. I have invited him to our house the last two Thanksgivings, even though my mother, who always comes, has flat out told me she does not like him. He has visited us on other occasions as well, and my wife and I have visited him in his state. He lists me as one of his very best friends. For me, he is one of the first people I would contact with particularly good or bad news, or just random amusements. When I first got to know him, we clicked so well that my feelings seemed very strong; but those feelings died down to friendship levels after a short time.

Friend #2 also means a lot to me, but my wife means more. I have always tried to explain to my wife that Friend #2 is just a friend, that even if I did feel something for him once, those feelings are not there anymore. She does not believe me. She says that when she sees me and him together, it is clear to her that we are flirting with each other. My wife told me that she is not the boss of my friendships, but that it makes her uncomfortable that I am still friends with Friend #2. She has said that she would not mind if she never saw or heard from him again. Since that conversation, I have cut off contact with Friend #2. He has tried to G-chat and text me maybe a dozen times. He recently wrote me an email asking me whether he has done something wrong and reassuring me that our friendship is important to him. I wrote him back an email stating only that he has done nothing wrong and that someday I would explain to him why I have been out of contact.

I have considered coming out to Friend #2, just to let him know that I have cut off contact in order to preserve my relationship with my wife. He would be sad, but at least he would have an explanation. We have very few mutual friends, so the danger in him telling others would be minimal. Alternatively, I could decide to continue to be friends with him, despite my wife’s discomfort, and just hope that my wife realizes he is no threat. It would be amazing to have a gay friend who I could trust to talk about things I am unable to talk to other people about. I can talk to my wife, but even she does not want to hear about all the things I would like to talk about, because it makes her uncomfortable or sad.

2. My Mother

My desire to come out to my mom has more to do with me wanting to be able to sit around with the two people I love the most—my wife and my mom—and feel comfortable speaking my mind, my full mind. My mom knows my whole history, so she may be able to offer some insight about me and my sexual development that has not occurred to me. Probably like most people on EC, it is a dream for me to be able to tell my family the truth and not have them judge me or make me feel bad for being the way I am. I would like to be able to experience that with my mother before she is gone. Because my mom loves me as much as she does, I am 90% certain that she would be completely understanding, and 75% certain that she would be able to keep the secret, so long as I reminded her how important it is to me that she does so. Should I bite the bullet and tell her?

Joey4, a wise newcomer to EC, recently explained, “I’m out to four straight friends, one female cousin. No freakouts yet. Right now, though, I feel like it’s a poker game and I’m wagering small bets. I haven’t thrown out any large chips yet and I’m itching to, but obviously I don’t want to lose them, ya know? I feel like coming out is no less strategic than a poker game. They have to be the right people in the right situation and so far I’ve folded a few hands, wondering if I should’ve played.”

This is very close to how I feel. I came out to wife without planning to do so. I accidentally showed her my cards. The consequence has not been quite as dire as I had expected, but it has complicated an otherwise very tidy life I had going for myself. I am in a position now where I do not have to wager any bets. I can just sit at the table and let blinds make their rounds without putting up any money myself. Right now, just my wife, our therapist, and I know that I am gay. In a way, the secret my wife and I share makes our relationship stronger. Once I come out, I can never go back, and the truth might spread whether I want it to or not. It is such a huge risk that I could avoid just by keeping the secret. So do I do it? Do I kick the closet door open a bit more, even though it may not be in my best interests?

If you have read this far, thank you. I need to make some decisions soon—in particular, Friend #1 by the time he next comes to town, and my mother by Thanksgiving, ideally. Any insight you may have to offer will be much appreciated.

5. bassmaster

Hi Link....
    I feel for your situation as it resembles mine in so many ways. Even the answers you seek. Except I have children. However and unfortunately I don't think you will find what your looking for from us but instead from within your heart. I came out to my wife several years ago and immediately pretended like I never said it. We continued with our perfect little life for several years until I just couldn't take the numbness and depression any longer so I came out to her again just recently. So the one sentence that really stood out for me was this. "I have also not decided to pretend like the disclosure never happened." I think this statement is key in your situation. I vowed this time that I can't and will not go backwards. I don't know what the future hold for us but there's no denial this time. No pretending. Like you, I feel closer then ever to my wife since telling her but I'm afraid it's a false positive. We tend to feel closer to anyone that we open up to, even our friends. Tho we do love our wives Im afraid we could just be delaying the inevitable. This is just my opinion :wink: I wish you the best in your journey.

6. edgy

edgy Guest

^^^^this... probably the best post on this thread

7. cantaccept

cantaccept Guest

i feel like the man on man urgers seem to be getting stronger and you will want to fulfill them sooner or later. since you seem honest and a non cheater, you will likely by hook or crook meet a man and then somehow ask your wife's permission for you to "experiment" with him. likely the man will be full on gay and likely you will have some teenage courtship before anything physical happens. all of this will get you riled up and eventually to the point where you are going to want to have sex with him and you will have to choose between the wife or the male sex. my advice to you is that the good news is that there are no kids involved yet. you have to ask yourself, can you throw about the gay fantasy? if the answer is yes, then this is a non issue. start making babies , stop looking at those gay sites and close that off as a possibililty for your life. if you know this will make you unhappy, then separate, gay-date, see how it feels and if it sucks see if you can get back with your wife. i personallly think that is unfair to the wife but it is an option before full blown divorce. to me the gay feelings are not going to go away, your wife will always be wondering now if you like her more or another guy. eventually this will eat away at her and her self esteem and she'll start to look for signs of your gaydom and look to see if you are flirting or what guys you are low key staring at. all of this will end up in resentment against you. just know that the gay fantasy is a fantasy and that you'll likely end up kissing more frogs before you find a prince. if you however, just want to have random sex with attractive men, you'll be a-ok in terms of finding plenty of those opportunities. if you want an emotional connection with an attractive man where physical sex is not occuring soon after you meet them, then that my friend may take a long time or possibly never happen. just get ready for what you're getting into. the gay life is not an romantic comedy and it's not the "notebook" or a jane austen book (pride and predjudice). just know what you're getting into so you wont be disappointed later.

8. PeteNJ

Can you make things work, in a closed marriage, short term? Probably.

Long term, will you be happy? What do you think you will feel like years from now, an admittedly gay man, who is "stuck" in a marriage where there were words of love, but the most basic of your human experience, your sexuality, doesn't find expression, isn't honored? Do you think the love you share with her can survive and overcome you repressing yourself?

One year ago at this time before Thanksgiving I was a deeply depressed and suicidal man. I was with a woman I loved deeply, she expected us to become engaged. I wasn't exactly sure why I was so unhappy. I thought it was more about things about her. After Thanksgiving I made the choice to get support and help. It took a few months for me to articulate and accept that I am gay. Now I live a fully out life - to my kids, parents, friends, community. I have stepped outside my comfort zone to make friends in the LGBTQ community and enjoy that world. I have connected with many men. I have fallen in love with a man.

Perhaps, in therapy, I could have learned how to box up my gay fantasies and feelings - either to stifle them or live them out in a private world. I intellectualize lots of stuff. I would have probably intellectualized all that -- at the cost of my feelings.

I jumped out of the plane with a parachute on... with the support of close friends, support groups, my therapist. It was scary at times. Painful at times. Unsure at times. (and to be clear -- still is at times!).

I wouldn't trade my old life for my new one. I am *me.* And that, where ever it leads, is amazing and priceless.

You are on your own journey. I tell my story, to offer support.

All the best / Pete

9. mav96213

There has been a ton of excellent advice, all of which I'm sure is helpful. I've been down a "somewhat" similar road. I went through periods of self-hate and feelings of being flawed, wondering why I have these desires. Prayers to God for help with what I considered a "curse" went unanswered. I'd fool myself into thinking at times that I had it "under control", only to fail, then beat myself up for that (then the pattern repeats). I thought if I found the right women and fell in love, those "other" feelings would subside. They do, but I learned only temporarily, they're still there, just below the surface. I finally did divorce my wife (actually NOT because of my gay feelings) because over time I discovered she was bipolar with horrible mood swings, selfish, self centered, immature, loved to argue, and nothing was "ever" her fault (but that's a whole other story, lol). But because of family (yes, I have kids) I'm still in the closet (and have no idea if or when I'll ever come out).

I think I've finally come to accepted "that part" of myself and I know it will never go away, no matter how much I'd like it to. It will always be there, nagging away at you and pulling your strings, it's a very powerful emotion! The only thing I have to add is I think you will be fooling yourself if you think you can continue to keep your gay feelings "boxed up" and controlled. The more you suppress it, it seems like it grows stronger and stronger, until you fail (and I'm not meaning an affair, but even becoming addicted to gay porn for some kind of release, or some other form of adicition...) and then you'll be "beating yourself" over that.

Eventually your secret will erode your marriage and your self worth. It will wear on you, as well as on your wife. You still love and respect each other today, there are no children, this might be the right time to break ties and move forward separately. I'm not saying don't to still be close to each other (best friends if possible), but perhaps not as husband and wife. I know it's very, very hard, but it will only get worse if resentment sets in, and I think that is inevitable. Save your friendship with her before there is nothing left to save. My two cents worth... keep us posted.

10. Spaceman

I think Pete hit it on the head. If you're having these doubts today, they will only grow with time. You could find yourself 5, 10, 15 years older with kids in the mix and depressed about not being able to live as the real you.

I thought I could keep my gay boxed up for life, but I finally realized I'll never find the fulfillment, confidence and purpose that have been missing from my life without being honest about who I am. It's a difficult road, but easier the earlier you start. I say to take the plunge now.

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I concur with the general sentiment of the above (recent) posters. What you and your wife are both dealing with is a very complex, nuanced, difficult situation, but one piece of it that I think may have been neglected here is what's going on with your wife.

You entered this marriage knowing you were gay, and she entered it having no clue. That in itself creates an enormous imbalance. I'm going to throw something else into the mix: Dr. Joe Kort, who has counseled mixed-orientation and LGBT couples and individuals for 25+ years, has written that it is extremely rare to find a mixed orientation couple such as yours, where a gay man marries a straight woman, where the wife, once she overcame her shock/anger/betrayal, did not realize that, deep down, she actually knew or had suspicions that her husband was gay.

Think about that for a moment and let it sink in. It means a couple of things (and Dr. Kort talks about this as well): First, it means that, assuming Dr. Kort is correct, the deception wasn't entirely yours. Your wife, consciously or unconsciously, conspired with you to play into it, by allowing herself to ignore her intuition or stay in denial in spite of indications, intuitions, or fleeting thoughts to the contrary. And that, in turn, means that this situation isn't entirely your fault, that she must shoulder some of the responsibility.

But I think there's an even more important piece at play here: Why would someone who is emotionally healthy and with a good level of self-esteem and self worth, stay in a relationship with someone who will never be able to fully love her and feel for her in the way that she deserves to be loved, and in the way that she loves or loved her husband? The answer, in nearly all of these situations, is that the wife's self esteem is damaged, and at a deep level, she doesn't feel like she truly deserves someone who loves her fully and completely, and so she's "settling" for a relationship where she can never truly experience the kind of love and caring she really deserves.

The best friends in the world are just that... friends. It is not the same as a loving couple who feel not only friendship, but deep and unqualified love for each other. And what it sounds like you have, with your wife, is a deep and caring friendship.

If the two of you decide to split now (or, say, in the next year or two), then both of you can have the opportunity to go back into the world and find spouses that can truly love and care for you fully and deeply, the way each of you deserves. If you wait 10 or 20 years... my guess is, as others have said, that your own resentment will grow deeper, and your wife will likely, at some point, also realize that she's stuck in a marriage to a "best friend" who isn't capable of the sort of deep love she deserves.

My best advice would be that you consider broaching that subject with her, and perhaps encourage her to go to therapy by herself -- not with the same therapist doing your couples therapy -- so that she can explore her own feelings. Only then is she really in a position to decide what she really wants.

On the issue of who you tell and when, my feeling is that authenticity is the best choice. You've already shown an extraordinary level of integrity, vulnerability, and willingness to walk into very difficult territory, something that is unfortunately rare and deserves to be commended. I see no reason not to continue the path of transparency and authenticity and share what's going on with those around you.

One of the most interesting bits of reading/study I'm currently doing is on the subject of the impact of stress on health and well being. There's no question that being closeted and keeping up the false front that goes with that is incredibly stressful on many levels. What's less obvious is the impact it has on your health and well-being. In the short term, it affects your immune system. In the longer term, it is correlated with the development of a whole bunch of illnesses, ranging from heart disease to arthritis to neuromuscular disorders to lots of other things, not to mention the psychological cost. And, of course, there's collateral impact on your wife, who's stuck in a marriage that isn't what she signed up for.

So, for my money, I think both of you owe it to yourselves and to each other to really think about the importance and value of authenticity, and that means (for your wife) exploring authenticity about herself and her own true feelings, self worth, and self esteem... and for you, the long-term impact of staying closeted to some or all, and of suppressing your desires to be with men and explore the love you deserve to have.

Of course, it's a monumental decision, and the discomfort of the current situation may seem preferable to the fear/unknowing/uncertainty of the long term. But in the years I've been reading the input of the older members of EC, and offering the insights I have to offer, I've come to believe that it is pretty much always the best decision, in the long term to make the hard choice, or as the brilliant and insightful authenticity/shame/wholehearted living research Brené Brown puts it, to choose discomfort over resentment.

12. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fully concur with Chip on this one and can offer some anecdotal evidence with regard to the physical manifestations of marital stress.

About the same time that I lost a good job, in 2007 (about 14 years into our marriage), I started developing a very mild case of psoriasis (an autoimmune disease of the skin which can also be associated with arthritis) on my hands and feet, at times it was excruciatingly painful. By some weird stroke of fate I was hired at around the same time by a dermatologist who ran the clinical research company that I worked for (until March of this year) so I got some treatment, which helped.

I still have a touch of it on my hands, but since I left the house, it is much, much milder, and I am almost clear of it on my hands...

My wife also developed an autoimmune disease within the last 5 years of our marriage, more serious in the long-run: Sjogren's, which is an inflammatory disease causing joint pain, dry eyes and mouth and other nasty sequelae (I don't know if my leaving helped, but I suspect it did).

During my marriage, I tended to get a cold right after one of our regular blow-ups, I distinctly remember noticing that pattern...fascinating how two people who are sick of each other can make each other sick...

#32 greatwhale, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  13. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very interesting....I, too, inevitably got sick right after our fights. She would generally work herself into a full-blown asthma attack and be sick as well. Although after enough years of it, I started to recognize that often the fights followed any one of several of her health issues--a ramping up of the asthma, one of many clumsy injuries (generally the result of rushing around because of being behind the eight ball for one thing or another), or not taking all her meds as scheduled. I eventually got to the point where I could usually tell that a fight was coming, and did my best to hold it off until I was at least somewhat prepared to fight back. Because there was not STOPPING it, although sometimes I could keep the collateral damage to something of a minimum.

14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Trying to avoid getting even further off-topic, for those interested on the physical manifestations of stress caused by emotional/psychological issues, I strongly recommend Dr. Gabor Maté's excellent and well documented book "The Body Says No."

15. Spaceman

Chip, you bring up some very interesting points about the wife's role in this. My wife claims she had absolutely no inkling I could be gay, which I find hard to believe after spending 20+ years together.

She is now intensely angry, but I'm now thinking the anger may not really about me having hidden being gay. It could be anger that I violated our unspoken agreement to stay in the closet and never give voice to my true feelings. It's hard to know where the truth lies.

BTW, I'm on my second Joe Kort book and highly recommend them. Oh, and thanks for solving the mystery about why I developed migraines in the past few years. :lol:

16. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's perhaps a commonplace thing to say, but behind most anger is an intense sadness...it's getting through the defences that is the hard part...

17. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't forget that the "unspoken agreement to stay in the closet" probably gave her a gigantic amount of power in your relationship, and she probably feels very adrift now that she doesn't have that stick to beat you with. My wife's self esteem has been in the toilet since her teens, and the positive changes in me over the past year are very clearly threatening to her. Even the kids have commented to me that Mom seems to be "getting a lot crazier lately".

One of my favorite recent quotes is from The Perks of Being a Wallflower - "We accept the love that we think we deserve." My wife, and probably yours, probably knew on some level that the love we had for them was incomplete, but they could accept it because they didn't feel they deserved more--and really, neither did we. Accepting something so deep within ourselves forces them to look inside as well, and they may not be liking what they see. All at once, they have lost power AND been given a glimpse at things they can't face about themselves. We see light, however distant, at the end of the tunnel now. They may just be starting to blast their way through the mountain.

18. Spaceman

Very insightful Choirboy. The power dynamic is definitely changing. Before I came out, I had to prepare myself for the possibility of losing everything and being outed to everyone. I accepted that fact and decided I had to do it anyway. So what can anyone really threaten me with now? It's kind of liberating.

19. Electra

Link4816
    What a wonderful, thoughtful, supportive thread you have started! EC at its best. I hope that it is helping you process things?
    I am 50, but when I was in my 20-30s I was pretty much closeted (out as bisexual to a few close friends) and most definitely wanted the whole 'normal' heterosexual dream. During this time I had two serious relationships with women - both lasted for two years. In both cases they knew before they started dating me that I also found men attractive and in both cases this didn't stop them pursuing me and getting me! In both cases i had pleasurable sex and was emotionally close (truly in love with them). I was more than happy to suppress my homosexuality to have all the benefits I thought having a hetero relationship would bring. BUT in the end in both cases, my girlfriends however loving and supportive and understanding they tried to be could not live with the situation and they split with me. The first time was very painful, I was so desperate to be seen as straight and have a normal relationship and I loved her so deeply that when she found someone else I was devastated!! The pain was so great that we lost contact (she moved away). The second time was different however... again my girlfriend decided she couldn't live with my homosexuality as the elephant in the room and although it was difficult and bumpy we kept talking and now 15 years later - we remain best friends. We live many miles apart but see each other often and know each other like .... husband and wife??? (or better as no conditions). I am now 'out' as gay (not bisexual) to everyone .... and my ex girlfriend has been my greatest supporter through all this. This just would not have happened if say we'd tried to stay together (or have an open relationship or whatever...)
    So I guess what i am saying is being best friends with a woman (my ex.. your wife) but be totally honest that this will not involve a sexual aspect is the best possible outcome I could imagine.
    Hope both of you find a way forward ... reading your posts I kind of sense you will!

20. mav96213

Electra,

Thanks for sharing, life does throw us down some difficult roads. Glad it worked out for you, and cool that you remained very close to ex #2.