1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quit bein' a chicken! How the heck do you talk about LGBT stuff IRL?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Just Jess, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Just Jess

One thing I'm noticing about me, having recently let the cat out of the bag about myself, is that I just plain suck at talking about being a woman in a dude's body. I'm pretty sure just about every one of you has gone through this awkward phase no matter what skeletons were in your closet. It's way easy to talk about this stuff here online, but how do you manage to get comfortable face to face?

BTW I am getting therapy, although that's a great answer to my question; I'm just looking for anecdotes here.

2. Reptillian

I'd think I would talk about it if the situation is appropriate. I wouldn't talk about it too often if I were you. Just saying.

3. Just Jess

Sorry good point; I meant when the situation's appropriate.

4. NickTsuki

NickTsuki Guest

I'm still in the closet so when the subject comes, I can talk more or less comfortably and get people's honest opinion (what's worse), but I'd feel self-conscious talking about it in the open. It depends on the person, it's like talking about sex, you'll find people who you'll feel more comfortable and others not. And I guess you'll get used to it with the time, at least I hope so.

5. Lewis

I'm comfortable with actually being gay, but can't actually say it out loud to people. When any of my friends ask me about guys I like or my sexuality in general, I just go off-topic.

Guess that's something I need to work on!

6. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    Depends to whom.

l don't feel awkward talking about anything most of the time, and when other people feel awkward in relation to whatever l'm talking about l kind of chalk it up as their problem.

But with family, l just don't talk about most of this stuff. lt's like they're ultimately going to relate everything you say back to your childhood and they can't really help it.

As far as being gay, most people aren't shocked to hear it. Not because l'm stereotypical or anything, l don't know. l talk about a lot of weird shit all the time and people aren't really reactive to what comes out of my mouth anymore.

7. Silverbells000

It depends on who I'm talking to, if I'm talking to someone who knows I'm a lesbian than I can talk about it more freely than if I talk to someone I haven't told.

8. Connor22

with a big smile on my face :grin: no but seriously I joke about it more than anybody else I know, except for one kid and we just joke each other around about it, like one time I said something and he turned around and started shouting at me a whole load of nonesense and then I just shouted at him "shut up or I'll kiss you" and then we laugh and the class of first years we were in front of stared and stared XD

9. Rexmond

I too suffer when it comes to talking about my sexuality - but it depends on who I'm talking to. If it's someone that matters, a friend for example, then I find it a bit difficult and somewhat awkward. I would really like to talk to someone close about it, but I get nervous even trying to just have a conversation with him. It's really frustrating and has so many negative consequences.