1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question for EC's transgender users

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by kageshiro, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Qwertazoo

I would probably go stealth, but not really making the 'transgender' part completely hidden. Like, not a secret, but not a big deal either.

2. AaronV

I've been stealth for a couple of months now and so far I've really enjoyed it. I don't want to be seen as "that token trans guy" and to me transitioning is a highly personal topic that not everyone needs to know about. Pretty much like I don't really talk to people about my depression.
    I like to talk to other transfolks about being trans and people who genuinely want to educate themselves and if someone in real life would ask me about it I guess I wouldn't lie. I have some friends who I could see myself coming out to in the future, but I need to be extremely close to them in order to do that. (Some of my old friends from high scholl still think I'm cis, because I never came out to them.)
    If some people want to be out and proud and/or want to simply educate others, that's great, but right now I don't think I would want to possibly lose my safety for that.

3. optionthree

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just go by male, and I do plan to go stealth next year when I start my new school. I view being trans as an important part of my life and (to a certain extent) I'm glad I experience this, however it isn't an important part of most other people's lives, so they don't need to know.

4. Jellal

I don't even like saying the word transgender.
    Guess the world's done a pretty good job at making me hate myself, huh?

Anyway, I'd rather just be known as a girl. I wouldn't introduce myself as "transgender" to anyone except people I already know who I'm coming out to. And by the way, that's really fucking uncomfortable. I feel like I'm admitting something horrible every time I do.

5. pinkclare

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me it depends on context. If someone or something asks for my gender/gender identity, the answer is male. No additional qualifiers necessary; answering "trans male" would actually be inaccurate for my gender identity.

However, if someone or something asks whether or not I'm trans, the answer is yes and I have no qualms about answering honestly. Being trans is simply a gender-related fact about me and my medical history, but it is not a part of my gender identity.

6. Emma_K

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally I prefer to simply be refered to as a girl, however, there are a few settings where being refered to as trans would be prefered, the best example i can think of is in a medical setting, where a trans individual is a patient, so that a given nurse or doctor has more information to treat you with, but still being addressed as a female in conversation etc.

Assitionally, depending on which branch of social subculture that you ascribe to, it may be pertinant, although i would think this to be the case mainly in situations with implicit sexual connotatoin, because that is one of the few situatinos where it actually matters, and is something to be proud of, despite the dysphoria and such.