Queer?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by theMaverick, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Eliza

Eliza Guest

I like "queer" because it encompasses the blurry edges between categories like "gay" and "bisexual" or "masculine" and "feminine," or whatever.

So, I identify as queer, among other things.

2. OutwardSmiles

I personally like the term queer, for several reasons. I like that it encompasses our entire community and that it's a lot easier to say than the other terms because let's face it: I'm lazy. I normally use LGBT+ because it encompasses everybody rather than just lesbian, gay, bi, and trans* people, but "queer" is a lot easier and quicker to say than "LGBT+".

I also like that since it covers everyone, you can use it to describe someone whose sexuality/gender you're not sure of. Of course I would only use this term for people that I know and I would only use it when speaking to another of my queer friends and I most certainly would not use it if I thought it would offend the person if they were called that. It's just that it's a lot easier to say "Hey guess who I just found out is queer" than "Hey guess who I just found out likes people of their biological sex but also may or may not also like people of the opposite sex or possibly just be a trans* person that likes people of their own gender or both genders."

On top of that, since I have a bit of an uncommon orientation, a lot of the people I know wouldn't understand what I meant if I came out to them that way. If I said "Hey guys, I'm a panromantic homosexual" everyone would kind of just stare at me like I'm speaking German. It feels like a lie to me to say that I'm bi or lesbian though, so queer suits me a lot better. Plus there's also the point someone else made that saying you're queer invites conversation, which gives me a chance to actually explain my sexuality rather than having them be confused and probably never get the point I was trying to make or just hear the word "homo" and assume I'm strictly lesbian.

Most importantly though, I like the word "queer" because it shows we're able to turn the tables. We've taken what used to be an insult to us and made it into an insult to all of those homophobes out there. It shows we're strong and we don't care what anyone else thinks about us. "Oh, you're going to insult me? Thank you; that's very kind of you." If I didn't accept this term and someone tried to insult me with it, I'd probay become very upset and offended. But since I do accept this term, if someone calls me a queer trying to hurt my feelings I can just say "Yes. Yes I am." and keep going on. It's no longer their insult. It's my term. It's how I describe myself, and I can take it as a compliment.

3. redstormrising

I am also one of those people. I will NEVER use "queer" to refer to myself and I won't let anyone else do it either.

4. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

GSM is cool, but it would be nice if we could have a word, not just an acronym or an insult. I use LGBTQ normally but it's not that great of an acronym.

---------- Post added 29th Apr 2013 at 01:35 PM ----------

Does anyone else think LGBTQ looks cooler than GSM, though?

---------- Post added 29th Apr 2013 at 01:44 PM ----------

Look up GSM and you get Global System for Global Communications. ._____.

#24 stuffiscool, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2013
  5. funkeln

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    my in-depth analysis

them: "Smear the queer, smear the queer!"

us: Yeah we like that name! We're queers lolol

me: facepalm

6. Eatthechildren

i call myself queer because i dont know how to separate my gender identity from my sexual identity.

7. Willjarvis

While an umbrella label can be easier to use, particularly for people like me who often aren't certain enough to use a more specific term, I doubt most people I know are aware of that definition. I expect that if I told them "I'm queer" they would translate that to "I'm gay", which defeats the point. In that case, it's easier to just briefly describe the aspect of my sexuality that's relevant to whatever brought it into question and then leave it open.