1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Queer people don't face discrimination?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by GreenRun, Oct 18, 2018.

1. GreenRun

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  2. InStandbi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well now we have another reason Trump is stupid.

3. GreenRun

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Add it to the list. I know a number of die hard Trump supporters, and this seems accurate. Disappointing, because some of these people I genuinely like other than that, and they just don't seem to be properly informed. Education could solve a whole host of issues.

4. InStandbi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    so very true. if people actually knew WHO they were voting for, things might have been a heck of a lot different.
    also I'm new so if that quoting thing doesn't work I'm sorry

5. InStandbi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ok it did so great

6. GreenRun

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    One thing I think about a lot is a particular Malala Yousafzi quote: "With guns you can kill terrorists, with education you can kill terrorism." I think with proper education, and not just reading 'riting and 'rithmetic, most of our societal problems could be solved. If schools (heck, even parents) taught kids tolerance and acceptance, imagine what the world would look like. If we taught people to genuinely care for one another, imagine what our society would be like.

But you're right. If Midwestern cattle farmers actually knew that a bankrupt billionaire conman wasn't going to be looking out for their best interest I think they might have voted a bit differently.

#6 GreenRun, Oct 19, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  7. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, men do face discrimination. Particularly men who like other men, they get called all sorts of vile names and have jokes made about their sexuality.

8. sonic1337111

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So how many reasons is that now? (I'd hazard a guess at around 200-300)
    But seriously someone needs to show him that LGBT+ People do face discrimination and show him what the real world is like. (Not going to go on a politcal rant for multiple reasons)

9. BlueNeon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't remember the exact quote, but it was something like: "to people of privilege, equality feels like oppression". That seems relevant here. As people who have always had a position of privilege in society are starting to be told that they can't just discriminate against others and impose their will on them, they feel like it's an attack. As minority and marginalized communities start to stand up for themselves and find allies, people who have had the benefit of being the "normal and accepted" people probably feel like they're being targeted. As a result, they equate others standing up for themselves with discrimination. At least, that's my theory.

10. GreenRun

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think you described it perfectly. Now that society is not completely run by straight white Christian men, they themselves feel like we are trying to take away what they have worked for, when all we want is the same opportunities that they had! We have been fighting back against this in varying forms for centuries, and we still have so far to go. But I think what you said is perfect, and follows along with the idiots yelling about reverse racism and their pride in their white heritage and how any woman who stands up for herself hates men. Oh yeah, and then there's the fact that our country is infested with Nazis and the KKK and there are people *cough* Trump and his supporters *cough* who won't say that these people are bad. That's a whole other problem that we need to deal with, but stems I think from us allowing discrimination to flourish here. And now that the president doesn't condemn these things, and congress wont do anything either, these people now feel that they can safely come out of the woodworks

It's 1222 reasons to be exact...one for every day since he announced his candidacy.

11. RavenK

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not surprising me one bit.

12. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is very true, but they'll claim you're calling them stupid and dig in even deeper. They ridicule education and associate it with "liberal elites" which is associated with "snowflakes" which connotes weakness. They reject education, science, equality, fairness, etc. It's all a competition for the strongest to win and take all. They fear being seen as weak which includes admitting they were wrong about something. I don't know of a solution as long as they refuse to consider and believe facts that differ from what they were taught. It's a complicated mix of pride, ego and fear. We'll continue to regress as long as a large chunk of the population stubbornly rejects education, science, facts and they elect people who do the same.

13. GreenRun

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I agree, and I think a lot of people can't be educated, they've gone too far. I was more implying educating children and young adults, who are more open and willing to see other points of view. Most of them will also chose to be kind to others, and they don't discriminate unless they are taught to do so. But considering this education isn't happening in any widespread way as of yet, I'm not sure what the future will hold. These are scary times to live in America, and it's even scarier if you're queer.

14. Mia Mize

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This is a man who was raised dripping in privilege. He grew up knowing that any trouble he got into, there would be no repercussions and he could buy his way out. He never had to face consequences and was only ever around other privileged, straight, rich, white men. He grew up in country clubs and "locker rooms" where sexist, racist and homophobic slurs were okay. Now his ignorance is hurting so many people. All of those statements are not an excuse for him acting like an ass. He has found people who would genuinely believe he is a great business man that is great for this country. He is leading back to the 1900's which is really scary for any one who is not a conservative. It baffles me the conservative women who are also raising our next generation of men and women as our future, are okay with the things he is saying. I know women and men who have been scared into being silent by their families and friends who agree with his statements. Scared to come out as a member of the LGBT or to talk about a sexual assault because they hear the things our leader and their close personal friends have to say about the things Trump deems right or wrong.He is now trying to invalidate a whole group of people who are already being attacked by his loyal followers. He is so easily putting these people down because he can. He knows there is a whole bunch of people that we would have to go through to get to him. He is up in a safety net because he thinks he can hurt people and be untouchable.

15. UMedusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have been following this news story and it burns me up so bad! Protecting America from transsexuals... Absolute Poppycock. The man is a fascist loon. I am sad for the US and the countries impacted by the Trump administration. Hopefully I am not locked up for expressing that opinion publicly.