1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quarantine hobbies?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Young Blood, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh wow!! Those all sound really cool!! What exactly is the difference between regular woodworking and green woodworking, if you don’t mind me asking?

My boyfriend and I have been growing some vegetables and stuff too!! Our tomatoes are ripening now too, but they’ve been getting attacked recently. I’m thinking raccoons or squirrels are the culprits, so gonna have to figure out what to do about that :/

I have been self studying Korean for a while :slight_smile: Not making a ton of progress but definitely know quite a bit more than I did haha.

2. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I use metal nib dip pens most of the time for illustration so working on handwriting isn't too bad. They are a lot more sensitive than microns and take some getting used to.

#22 alwaysforever, Jul 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  3. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    We were at quarantine by default. :grinning: I mean there was already no place to go and have fun in this small city. And there are no quarantine like other countries during the pandemic either. They just let it spread around the country and even world. So, I guess the pandemic made the situation not that different in case of hobbies for me. It's just that it helped me quit reading news which used to waste much of my time, cuz the news got too sad and that helped me quit them at all. And that much time for news had to be replaced with a hobby, which is reading interesting novels. Instead of tormenting news, I read enjoyable/informative books.

#23 Vega222, Jul 26, 2020
  4. dbri

dbri Guest

Currently, "No Man's Sky" on Xbox. I like shooters, hack and slash, strategy, and puzzle games. What about you?

5. BlueMonday

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Dennis Cooper. Very different from the "mainstream and cute" gay literature like Call Me By Your Name and Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda. The strongest virtue being the fact that they (Cooper's work) were actually written by a gay man; Call was written by a straight man, Simon by a straight woman.

#25 BlueMonday, Jul 26, 2020
  6. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ahhhh ok, that’s interesting. I use microns for my drawings and stuff and I know those can take some getting used to, especially the brush tip one. That sounds really cool though!

7. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh sweet! I’m definitely more of a Nintendo fan haha. Legend of Zelda is my all time favourite games. Currently working on “Breath of the Wild” lol.

8. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh nice! Yeah, I have definitely heard that books written by someone in the actual LGBT community is waaaayyyy different than other authors writing about it.

9. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Omg, yeah. I used to watch the news all the time when I was at work as we always had one channel on the news. Since I haven’t been at work, I’ve definitely stopped watching the news as much. It definitely gets so depressing....

10. dbri

dbri Guest

Nothing wrong with that! Enjoy!

11. Xenio

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I also just cleaned my wardrobe and donated some of my clothes couples of days ago haha. I just turned 20 so I have always been imagining what my life will be like when I reach 30. I kinda have a goal for the next 10 years but that's still very exciting (and scary?) to think about especially considering how uncertain and fast-changing things are nowadays.

12. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not really a hobby for me, but I was talked into buying an AeroGarden. I'm going to try growing some cherry tomatoes (fresh always tastes much better than from the grocery store) and some lettuce.

13. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    'Regular' woodworking uses dried wood. The tree has been cut, dried to a very low moisture content, and then sold as lumber. This provides a very stable building material for furniture builders or structures. The wood is denser and harder, so power tools are much more used in this.
    'Green' woodworking means using wood that has been freshly cut. The higher moisture content makes it much softer and easier to carve through with hand tools. Usually wood is less than a week or so old when it is used. Personally I emphasize just using whatever wood makes itself available to me from the surrounding area. A couple coworkers of mine are also arborists and sawyers on the side, so I've got good access to local trees. I'm interested in just carving items I can use like spoons and bowls. But I hope to get more into furniture building some day.

And good for you guys for growing food. What fruits can you grow there? Do you have fencing around your plants? I've made a wall of chicken wire around the garden beds here.

Very cool that you're trying to learn another language. :thumbsup: Good luck.

14. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    "we always had one channel on the news."
    Wow. :sweat_smile: It was all about spreading the virus around the world, economies of countries collapsing, etc. Even developed countries seemed to be defenceless. All added to the usual sickening news. Too much to bear.

15. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Computer Aided Drafting. There are some free programs that while not easy to learn are pretty powerful in what they can do. I've been learning it so I can design my own parts for my radio control trucks.

16. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Netflix became my friend during the quarantine! Finished quite a lot of series. I rewatched several too. I really love Sense8 (the ending is excluded lol). Any suggestions ya'll can give?

I also am practicing again in making digital artworks. It's been a while since my last artwork. Im currently working on an OC Team Avatar (earthbending avatar after Korra).

17. PrideOwl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Plenty of Shakespeare, some Jane Austen, music history and art history.

Favorite lesbian/gay books on Kindle: Fox Run, Bien in Bleu, and Not Single Enough
    Any of these you may have read?

18. Eboni

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm learning guitar

19. KaiOfBees

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm finally learning to play guitar. A twelve-string guitar, no less. I'm also itching to pick up a sketchbook again.

20. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been watching every Best Picture winner from the last 75 years that I haven't seen. Just 17 left to go!

Also I've been cooking a lot, walking more with my dog, and lifting weights.