1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prop 8

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by kevinx519, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Markio

Ugh, I read USA Today this morning, and there was a picture of three men cheering the passing of Prop 8. It was sickening to look at.

2. Seanboy23

Interesting.

I've always thought that the most homophobic of men may just have the most to hide, lol.

As seen on a bumper sticker: "Come out come out, wherever you are!" :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

3. kh23172

And after that thy go and cry because their secrets will soon be unfolded. I wonder why they had no women with them, and why girls tend to like gay guys so much more. Hmm. It's an interesting idea.

I'd somewhat say that a lot of times gay people just don't do enough for their cause, and then bitch about it when things don't go right. This is probably true, but there is always a time for redemption and always a time when people can start. I think this is when they'll start, because this is just the beginning of it all.

4. Seanboy23

This IS just the beginning of it all; with humanity throughout history, social change has always happened the same way - a small voice slowly picks up steam until it becomes a groundswell that becomes a giant "wave" of the masses standing up for what's right, until it can no longer be ignored or denied.

It's up to all of us in the LGBT world to take action and make sure that the "wave" continues to grow. We can do it!

5. kh23172

Exactly. Over the last century, there has been a period of 40 years between every new civil rights movement and development. 1920s was women in big cities as flappers, 1960s was african americans as simple activists for their rightful rights, and now, in the 2000s, is the gay's turn. Although, it had taken a good 150 years for both minorities to reach their potential, and now in the year 2008 we have an african american as president. Hopefully it doesn't take 150 years from now, when homosexuality is more actively becoming a big deal, to become accepted. Hopefully.

6. STK

STK Guest

It's the "violence doesn't solve anything" rhetoric that's made us lose. We must FIGHT for our rights.

Previous posters have stated it better though.

7. EM68

Hey Sean. Now that made me feel so sad! When you see them give them a hug for me! (*hug*) I think it is ironic that we elected our first black president and on the same day people voted to discriminate against certain members of society. :bang:

8. xequar

9. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I introduced the petition to another online community I'm part of. Since then, it's gotten another 20,000 signatures.

Spread it around (like the wealth)!

10. Astaroth

Here's what I've learned from Prop 8:

They think we're losing, but we're winning.

Here's what I mean by that. Most estimates place the GLBT population at about 1-5%. That means that at best there is one GLBT to every 19 straight people. At worst it's 1 to every 99. But here's what I find amazing: the vote! Think about it. There are currently 48% of voters in California standing up for the rights of 1-5% of the population. That's ALMOST HALF of the state! Do you honestly think things could have been even half this good twenty years ago? It would have been a landslide in favor of Prop 8 then. Today, it has ALMOST been declined. That is huge. There are actually several states that DO recognize marriage, not to mention about a dozen others that currently support civil unions. Twenty years ago? Nothing. So, even though we will most likely lose on Prop 8, we are winning overall because of the momentum building up. I think it's absolutely wonderful that almost half of California's population stood up for the rights of the few, even if they were overpowered by the other side. Just think how it will be in another twenty years...

11. sdc91

Or another 8 years. In 2000, a measure won by 22%, and now it's 4%.

12. Nugget

I don't even think it'll take eight years. Considering I'll be voting age in the next election, I think there will be a wave of a new generation who will vote for equality. From what the exit polls say, many people between their 40s and 60s voted for it.

13. HighintheClouds

I totally disagree with this.. Fighting might have worked in the 60s. But think about it, it wasn't the work of the violent people which made people actually treat blacks different. It was the work of people like Martin Luther King Jr. Civilised and well-mannered and passionate. He was against violence.

To be violent would only mean that you'd be scaring more people... They'll be thinking, "So that's what gays are like." even though that's not true.

Furthermore, you can't have violence. Not now. Not in America. Not when you've just elected a new president and when America is in an economic crisis. Obama promised change. I don't think that he meant a change which involved violent protests....

14. EM68

Last night I heard some interesting exit poll results. 70% of African Americans voted for Prop 8. While Hispanics voted narrowly for Prop 8 and people under 30 overwhelmingly voted against Prop 8. I think its ironic that the group that helped vote Obama into office voted against gay marriage. It seems to me that there needs work to be done in the minority communities.

15. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I never promised violence, but passing around petitions and waving flags just isn't going to cut it any more.

But for the real reason I'm here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27584685/

This might be the most infuriating of any of the Prop 8 articles so far.

16. HighintheClouds

WHAATT?!?!?

That's what people come up with?! That's what they SAY?! Oh this just shows so much ignorance and misunderstanding it's almost repulsive..

Still... I'm not sure that a protest would get the idea across... We need more talks and TV documentaries about gay people and what really happens and that if your children aren't gay then they aren't.

And apologies when I thought that you meant violence!

17. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is one of the things that makes me furious about all of this. As a black person, I think what upsets me the most about the people in minority groups that voted yes on things like Prop 8, and the other anti-gay propositions in Florida, Arizona, and Arkansas is that they apparently don't seem to realize that the GLBT community is so diverse and that by voting yes they're basically saying that along with Caucasians, that their fellow gay Blacks, Latinos, Asians, etc. shouldn't have the right to marry and it's like they're discriminating in their own minority group as well as other races. Like, I feel like those African-Americans that voted yes are telling me, a fellow African-American, that I should be treated like a second-class citizen. And the thought of that just makes me sick.

I hope that made sense...

18. lodiug

I can't believer her!! All her employees help her earn her freaking money and she just stabs them in the back!! That's horrible!! All eight of her employees should quit! I wonder how her salon would do without them!

19. Kid Quasar

............................................______ __........................
    ....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,..................
    .............................,.-”...................................“-.,............
    .........................,/...............................................”:, ........
    .....................,?........................... ...........................\,.....
    .................../.................................................. .........,}....
    ................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}....
    .............../.................................................. .,:”........./.....
    ..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../.....
    ............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../........
    .........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`..... ..._/...........
    ..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}...........
    ...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../............
    ...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`..... }............../.............
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”...............
    ............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\...................
    .............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__...........
    ,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|........... ...`=~-,....
    .....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\... .....................
    ...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\............. ..........
    ................................`:,,.............. .............`\..............__..
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``.......
    ........................................_\........ ..._,-%.......`\...............
    ...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\..............

Oh god, not Prop 8. Someone get me some tea, Earl gray.

20. Choucho

I heard about this in school. -.- I can't even explain how discouraged I am in the human race, but I don't have to try because I imagine pretty much everyone feels the same way as I do. My teacher was really upset about it too, because she's very pro-gay rights.
    I don't understand why the majority of Americans insist on taking a step backwards whenever their country makes some step towards the advancement of civil rights. Is the thought of equality really that troubling for them?
    But it's okay. In a couple years there are going to be a lot more LGBT people who can vote, and the homophobic population in general is declining. As worried as I am for the future in some respects, at least the situation is not completely hopeless.