1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prop.8 Overturned

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Lady Gaga, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Emberstone

until it gets to the supereme court, we just have to wait.

NOM is already crapshitting a lie that the judge went against the voice of 7million voters. the real issue is that 7million voters violated the United States constitution. You cannot vote to take away the civil rights of a minority. it is not allowed under ther 14th ammendment of the federal constitution, which all states are bounds by law to follow.

2. santitos2001

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

To you, it probably means nothing. This was a crucial step and a deciding factor. All the money the religious right spent trying to impose their views on a minority was a waste. It means that intelligent people, like the judge, when presented with the facts, understands that you and me can fall in love with another person regardless of their sex and that we are not a threat to marriage.

If its appealed to the 9th circuit (it will) the defense against prop 8 will be based on this ruling. I haven't read the full ruling yet cause the website has crashed, but as soon as i get my hands on that PDF file then I will let you know more.

It will take a while till it reaches the supreme court around 2011, 2012.

----------

here it is!! http://www.mediafire.com/?epq4nhczi2ahrhm

3. impossibleornot

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  4. Charme

Charme Guest

I read on the Yahoo article that Walker said to hold off on marriage until he gets arguments from both sides about the appeal thingie.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish I could fake indignation better. Then I could make a mint going on TV as a "activist judges overturning the will of the people" pundit over the next few weeks.

Lex

6. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Even if that happens, it still is an historic decision.

7. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

I love reading the comments on Yahoo. They're so..what's the word I am looking for? Uh..oh yeah..retarded.

8. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

This is freaking awesome :slight_smile:

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aren't they always?

Lex

10. Blondie

Blondie Guest

I hope not

11. silentsound

Yes!

(!) (!) (!)

12. Alex19

yesssss!!!! california is starting to get back on track :slight_smile: hopefully it goes all the way

13. Emberstone

they always are. there are people who it seems spend all of their lives on yahoo turning the comment section of every news story into a slam against liberals, obama's birth certificate, and pretending that christians are victims of a nation that doesnt do everything they demand.

14. Blondie

Blondie Guest

What I think if this is not overturned i could lead to the rest of the country!!!

15. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Yes, other states will follow based upon the final verdict in this case. If it's re-banned, then more people will try and do that. If it's allowed, more people will try and do that.

16. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well... this is headed to the Supremes. So whatever they decide -- which is anyone's guess -- will set the law for the land. If they vote to make it legal, then all state laws banning gay marriage will be nullified. If they vote to make it illegal, then all states where gay marriage is allowed will have their laws invalidated. If they rule very narrowly (which seems unlikely, since the California challenge is constitutional) then the effects could be uncertain.

It's so hard to tell what the Supremes might do, though... there are several real losers on the court at the moment who lied their asses off to get there and seem to disregard basic tradition of the court. On the other hand, sometimes loser republican conservatives vote for less regulation, so that could go in our favor. We'll have to just wait and see.

17. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Quoted from the document itself.

I am just so freaking happy.

#37 Revan, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  18. So excited. :slight_smile: This is so amazing. I mean, it's gotta go through all the appeals first, but it's just a victory on the path right?

19. Just Adam

i think this is here to stay now as it has been rules unconstitutional to revoke the civil rights of minority's...it cant be much clearer...if this goes tits up at the supremes..then i think we need to look at massive back handers...

@Emberstone

we to get that here where Christians shout how they are victimised because things arent Christian and how people not doing what they want is wrong etc etc

i imagine the problem is far far worse tho in the US :frowning2:

20. I read through some of the Yahoo comments, got to the 4th page or so and I had to stop because I just...couldn't take it anymore. People can be so cruel. :frowning2: