1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prom After-Party

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CJ90, Sep 13, 2008.

1. CJ90

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Okay to begin I have my high school prom coming up this Thursday. I've got a female date for it who is just a friend. I think the actual prom will go well but what's got me worried is the after party. I go to an all boys school and there is this one guy [I'll call him Adam for this] in one of my classes who I suspect is hitting on me. He's cute and everything but I remain unsure whether or not he's gay.

Last week he told me he has been thinking about me all day and asked if I found that creepy, I replied "no, not at all" and smiled at him. Later in the day he told me he had a vlog on youtube and told me not to tell anyone, family and friends are not allowed to watch his videos, but I'm an exception apparently. I went and looked him up, watched and rated some of his videos which were very general, but then noticed his favourite and rated videos were mostly gay related (namely: "Homosexuality and Christianity" and "Vote No on Prop 8!").

On a few nights later I found out the girl i'm taking to the prom can't go to the after party because her mom wants her home at a certain time. I then asked Adam if it's worth going to the after party, he was pretty insistent that I go to it, and also said this:

me: <my dates name> has to go home after the prom lol
    me: so i'll be date-less at the after party lol
    Adam: Really
    Adam: Ohh shit
    Adam: Just go anyway
    me: yup her mom wont let her go
    Adam: Its not like im gona be with my date

When talking to him in school the next day he asked if I'd be drinking at the after party. Since I don't drink I said probably not, he then told me he'd be drinking and that it'd be good fun if i did too.

I really don't know what to think of all this and maybe I'm reading into him too much. What way should I respond? I'm still not out and only one of my good friends knows that I'm gay. I feel like I'm not leaving him enough hints that I am interested :frowning2:.

2. Amy

Amy

to me, it sounds like hes a tad confused too. if you dont want to drink, dont drink. if it looks like hes having too much, ask him to slow down at least. that would make a great story for fictionpress (thank you very much, by the way) , but could lead to a very bad situation.

i would ask him if you could go to the after party together. not "together" like together, but "together" like not alone.

as this is you first post, i would like to say welcome to ec (*hug*).

im gonna go write that story now... :slight_smile:

3. biisme

i think you should go and see what happens.

also, like amyleona said, don't drink if you don't want to.

and, remember, have fun!

4. byeee

To me, it's almost obvious that he's trying to give you a lot of signals. Like him? Go for it!

5. Noah

Oh, he's really trying hard. Poor guy.
    Do you like him? If so, let him know. "I know you're going to think this is weird, but I'm gay, and I kinda like you". It works well to make yourself a little bit vulnerable (at least for me). At the very least you'll have an ally. At the most you'll have a bf. And don't drink unless you want to, there's a lot of fun to be had while still sober :grin:

6. Nova713

Nova713 Guest

I agree with Noah. Just be open and honest with him. It doesn't sound like you have anything to lose.

As far as the drinking goes, don't give into peer pressure. I learned that the hard way. I eventually got to a point where I really didn't want to drink even when I was around my friends. It's all a matter of will power. If you really don't want to drink, it's up to you to make sure you don't want to drink.

7. ColbieMarie

ColbieMarie Guest

I'm a little confused as to why your prom is in September, and why it's on a Thursday.

But, it seems to me that he's into you.

I vote you go. Also, drink or not, it doesn't really matter. But if he's drinking, he'll be more open and he may come out to you (the only time I came out I was drunk, tho I had been considereing telling him for a while).

8. hairdye

He's sooooo into you. SO OBVIOUS.
    go to the after party, have a drink if ya feel like it.
    or don't.

and then do him. use a condom! ;]

9. Blaz

Blaz Guest

Drinking is fun if you are smart about it and with people you trust.

He is not someone you should trust. Don't drink at the party, in fact, don't even drink anything unless it's from a closed can or bottle(Not beer). This reminds me of a similar situation with one of my friends who thought it would be fun as the guy said, but she ended being date raped. The guy was sober and people at the party said she was falling over all over the place. I'm not saying this is sure to happen, but it's better to be safe then sorry.

10. Gumtree

Only drink if you want to. Forcing yourself to or not to could easily ruin a special occasion.

I agree with Noah. Be upfront; you have very little to lose and a whole lot to gain.

Making assumptions does nothing but get you in trouble, always best to ask and clarify.

BTW...

Any tips or clues as to what's happening at your prom and afterparty?!

I'm in charge of organising ours and all I have so far is the venue, date and a budget. American Prom would be a coool theme, any tips from ANYONE would be appreciated (sorry for going OT).

11. CJ90

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi, thanks for the advise :grin:.

Okay the only thing I have to loose is my reputation, I'm quite popular and a lot of people look up to me. I'm not out but I'm willing to come out to people I can trust. Since signs show he is probably in the same situation I think I'd be good to take Noah's advise and come out directly to him instead of playing mind games.

My prom is in September because I'm in the UK and I have exams at the end of the year which after the exams nobody comes in so it'd be a waste of time of time organising something nobody will show up to. Most schools in my area also like to get it out of the way as soon as possible.

My prom is taking place in a hotel function room. So far what's actually going on has been kept under wraps by the people in my year organising it but I know they have awards for people in the year, such as prom king & queen, best dressed, best hair and whatever stupid awards they think up :slight_smile:. The afterparty is 45mins away on a bus, since the school doesn't organise that people in my year have booked a nite club and coach. I don't know what our theme is but I know a school in my area who has their prom next week has the theme "September and the City", a take on Sex and the City. People in my year have also booked a DJ for the actual prom.

I'll hopefully be able to talk to the guy tomorrow morning, I'll let yous know how it goes :grin:!

12. Gumtree

Good luck!

And thanks :grin:

13. CJ90

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh wow, this morning we talked for a bit, I didn't have the courage to say anything. Well then around after break we were moving to next class and I told him I wanted to tell him somthing but was a bit shy. He was really egar to find out. Anyway I said I really liked him, silence for about 30 seconds (I think he was thinking about what I said) then he dropped the question... "are you gay?" I answered honestly and then he wanted me to take a walk with him around school.

It was okay until he said he wasn't gay, then it just became really awkward. He told me he thought he was bi but went with a guy and it didn't feel right. He seemed to be really supportive though and still wanted to be friends with me. I think we are slightly better friends now, but still kind of awkward knowing that he knows I like him. Anyways I gave him my number and that's the last I seen of him all day :frowning2:.

14. hairdye

He's such a frickin liar. I wouldn't believe for a second.
    Ten bucks said if you made a move, he wouldn't stop you. ;x

15. Amy

Amy

^ heres a shocker ^

i agree

16. Master Hade

Master Hade Guest

i was distracted from everything else cause of this....
    jk
    don't drink tis bad,

17. Fiorino

I third. I think he was just scared to admit it, or maybe he wasn't prepared
    for you to be so direct. He was so giving you signs, don't give up
    quite yet. Plus, he said that he's bi, so there's a start. Be optimistic,
    I'm sure your prom will ROCK :icon_wink (whether or not anything happens.
    just go and have fun, and if anything does happen, then that's great,
    but don't expect it).

Keep us updated...

18. Jim1454

I think it's great that you were able to be honest with him. That's what life is all about... so good for you. He may or may not be bi or gay, and he may or may not be coming on to you. But at least he's accepting, and willing to be someone that you can talk to.

Congrats!

19. byeee

I kinda agree with the above, but I kinda disagree as well.
    He said he's bi, but that he didn't like it with a guy... now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you should back away from him, just be careful and try not to get involved.

Twenty bucks so you wait until HE makes the first move.
    You said you liked him, ball's in his court now. It's up to him.

That is, if you want anything more than 'fooling around'...

20. CJ90

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm keeping my distance but still talking to him, I really do not want to ruin a friendship over it. If he is going to try anything it'll be at the after party and will depend on how drunk he is. I'm not going to push for anything though.

In related news I came out to another friend (who came out over the summer) in my year. He was shocked because he didn't expect me to be gay. It'll take some balls to tell my close friends though, I just have a feeling that they don't really need to know and that's why I'm keeping it from them.

2 more days until prom, thanks for the advise! I'll keep this thread updated :slight_smile:.