1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pro Wrestling v.s. sexuality

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Nick8875, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Nick8875

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    hey,

has anyone else noticed how the way all professional sports are esp wrestling is homophobic? Growing up I dreamed since age 5 of making it to the big time tv of WWF Raw (now WWE). But as I began to research the buisness and got older and smarter I've started to get disguisted with it. Vince Mcmahon hates gay people..Alot of the big time stars are arrogant and homophobic.
    So from all the behind the scenes drama going on, i'm trying to find a new direction to go on in the buisness. Mostly i'm considering to start up a local independant federation and try to break the barriers of homophobia.
    I've jus had to let some steam off on this subject for a while so sorry for the rant. Hope you guys read it and think on the subject though.
    Question too for everyone.. Do you like wrestling? why or why not? when and how did you get interested?
    Personally in the 2nd grade I hade an apihphanny (cant spell it lol) in the second grade. Watching lex lugar and hulk hogan made me realize thats wut I wanna do with my life. Im 21 and yet I was lucky enough to see hulk hogan wrestle andre the giant the last time before andre past away.

2. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Well firstly, i highly respect and support your ambitions to start an independant federation. I recommend, when you get started, that you try to contact some national gay or ally organisations that could aid you in raising awareness for gathering support and backers.

I agree the WWE has some serious issues with homosexuality. Mainly because it is a sport that is dominated by males (female wrestling is a joke, not because it's girls, but because the reason it started in the first place was for males to see to 'hot chicks' fumble with each other). If they take a stance (pro-gay) that could 'comprimise their masculinity' then their 'domination' is lost. I air-quote most of that because it is told from their delerious viewpoint.

Just in answering your question. I do not watch wrestling simply because i think it promotes violence, even if the majority is staged. Although the near naked oiled men are a pro, the cons just don't even out.

I respect people who watch wrestling, but i do think that 'sports' (i know very little about sports, so i don't know if this is considered a sport by most) that encourage violence (contact sports) should be phased out of our society. Or at least the violent aspects in them.

Haha, i bet you're sorry you got a peace-junkie for your first reply, eh? Well peace out and good luck.:icon_wink

PS: It's spelled epiphany. Hehe, don't fuss much, i have trouble spelling alot of english words lately. French immersion student. I forgot the english word for "frites" (fries) the other day.

3. Nick8875

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    lol thanks..jus good to get it out in the open... WWE try's to reach to families and mostly Teenagers if you think bout so its a shame as some one figuring out their sexual identity would come across the gay steriotypes and such...or teaching a 8 yearold gays truly fit in the steriotype..which we dont.. I under your feelings on violence of it..personally I feel it shouldnt be meant for families because of that..
    and the wemon dont get enough respect really..its bout them being slutty whores really..not bout their wrestling talent..
    thanks for the support..my personal trainer has 30 years experience scouting for some local federations..so he's a big mentor of mine..and great at giving me advice and stuff.
    I stopped watching WWE when spirit squad debuted...male cheerleaders and gay jokes..i jus couldnt take it anymore... thanks for replying tho lol..jus nice to get some opionions from people.

4. nisomer

i used to watch wrestling a lot, and to tell you the truth i never vince mcmahon and the wwe was homophobic. Remember when they had the gay wedding??? I think it was between chuck and billy if i am correct. I definitely remember though because i was there, it was hosted in MN. i think i remember wwe getting praised by a lot of people for doing that.

5. Nick8875

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It brought alot of controversy.. the leading gay men in the indy federations who do interviews and such to try to give gay people a better light..well i've read some tesimony's thinking it did more harm than good..
    one of my best friend's cuzin is Mickey James on WWE RAw..so I get alot of the inside backstage scoop..and havin to protect his butt in a few fights.. well anyways...so i've seen the homophobic inside of the buisness trust me..and i know for a fact vince mc mahon hates gay people..mickey's cuzin is gay..and he's heard vince say it.

6. GuitarGirl1350

I definitely think wrestling promotes violence. It's a bloodbath of men beating each other up like the area is the streets of new york or something. I don't think it's good at all, whether homophobic or not

7. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Agreed.

Now going back to a post concerning the "spirit squad"? I am not familiar with any of these names of wrestlers and in particular this group. So you say they are male cheerleaders. Does the show implicate specifically or is the assumption yours alone? If so, it mocks them i assume. The cheerleaders aren't meant to be taken seriously i mean.

If thats the case this show now went from an ugly bloodbath to an offensive polarisation of digust for me.

And i highly doubt this (i assume on-show) gay marriage was taken seriously. I mean how can you, even on-show heterosexual marriages are a joke to me. I can only imagine how the public (or even i) would've perceived an on-show homosexual marriage.

8. Nick8875

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    They went out in pom poms and blow horns.. And before started wrestling and while wrestling they did cheer's from the side of the ring. Like real cheerleaders. Got to the point HHH was making gay jokes to their faces tryin to piss em off.
    Course spirit squad got canned thank god. Back to developmental for all but the leader.

9. GuitarGirl1350

I think the reason that sports are more homophobic is because of locker rooms and that tireless defending of masculinity that men feel they must do. I mean, look at Tim Hardaway. He said those horrible things on the radio and then spoke a half-assed apology that was clearly scripted by his publicist. To me, making those types of apologies to get the public to forget it so you can keep your nice little job is despicable. Kind of like how Issiah Washington went to a rehab place for his homophobia so he cold keep his cozy million dollar gig on Grey's.

10. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Again, i totally agree. He only had thirty day program. Then he's "Cured" (if only that was the answer to homophobia) i doubt he'll change unless he really works at it.

11. GuitarGirl1350

Yeah. He doesn't want to change. He wants his job with it's millions of dollars and perqs of being one of the biggest shows on the air right now.
    Jackass.

But that's homophobes for you.
    As far as rehabilitating homophobes...that's insane. You don't need rehab for your own choice to hate. You need a reality check and a slap upside the head. What's next? Sticking people who dye their hair into rehab so they can figure out why they felt this need to dye it and why they told everyone they dyed it and why this and that. It's his choice to be hateful, it should be his own work to stop being hateful.

#11 GuitarGirl1350, Mar 5, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2007