LGBT News Pope Francis says same-sex civil unions could be tolerated by the Catholic Church.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BelleFromHell, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Re: Pope Francis says same-sex civil unions could be tolerated by the Catholic Church

So basically Pope Francis is now at the same position that Barack Obama and the U.S. Democratic Party was at up until 2012.

2. BelleFromHell

Re: Pope Francis says same-sex civil unions could be tolerated by the Catholic Church

I think you should find out what their personal views on the subject are before you tell them you're bi.
    They could be the least homophobic parents in the world, or the most.
    To be on the safe side, I think you should listen to their reactions to homosexuality. For example, they're sitting on the couch watching the news and gay rights pops up. What do they say about it?

---------- Post added 6th Mar 2014 at 06:42 PM ----------

That's a good way to put it.

3. Meagan

Though I am not Christian (partially due to the fact that I grew up in the EXTREMELY legalistic Church of Christ... yikes) I am very fond of Pope Francis and hope that he keeps up with his message of love and acceptance.

4. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

i think pope francis is stepping in the right direction, and spreading the right messages.... for now.
    a lot of people might not think it would change anything but it does because he holds a lot of influence over Christianity in general
    after all the last pope hauled ass when the subject of gay rights came about and the scandals that came with it, as well as all the other issues

5. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

Your expectations are too high ...

6. Ridiculous

I'm not going to lower my expectation just because popes have a previous record of being horrible people. You don't get praise just because you're a bit less awful than your predecessor. "Heading in the right direction" isn't good enough, you need to actually get there before the pressure is taken off. The only reason they are moving in that direction at all is because of outside pressure and the fact their pathetic organisation will pass into obscurity even faster if they don't.

And once (and if) we do finally get a pope that isn't unpleasant, I still won't praise them for it. You don't get special credit just for not being homophobic, misogynistic, anti-science and anti-reason - those things are the bare-minimum standard that everyone should be held to, and should be ridiculed if they aren't.

7. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

Well... That's what you want from the Pope not what you can "Expect" and I agree with you.

There are two notions in my head of "Expectations"
    The "What I want from something"
    The "What I can get from something"
    By definition "Expecation" is : "a strong belief that something will happen or be the case in the future."

I think I am confused now....

8. Ridiculous

I know what you mean by separating the two meanings.
    However you did originally reply to me saying it's not a laudable achievement, and it isn't, and that's what I was expanding on.

I realise it isn't going to change over night. But I am sick of people suddenly falling in love with this new pope simply because he says queer people should be tolerated, instead of saying they are abnormal and should be ostracised. It is rather pathetic. Keep the pressure on him please.

9. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

Pope Francis is the best pope. :grin:

10. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

Nope... Pope Alexander VI ftw

11. DoriaN

This anti-christ is a lot better than the last anti-christ.

=S

12. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

Still a sexist position...

13. Cas

Cas

This Pope is a good one. I'm glad we have him. He really cares for people.

14. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Great. The Pope now has provided a conservative opinion that means that Catholic homophobia will now have a thin veil for Catholics and anyone else to use as an excuse to justify it.

This isn't really a step in the right direction. This is that the Pope is a clever politician who can milk support out of a bunch of false-progressives who can side with the religious embodiment of conservatism without appearing conservative.

15. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I'm not a fan of him for his attitude towards gays, but his attitude towards pedophiles. He's doing a lot of work to clean up the priesthood.

Plus he's greatly increasing representation of poor countries in the Catholic Church - the majority of the Cardinals he's appointed come from poor countries.

16. Hexagon

When I hear a formal apology for the treatment of queer people that has gone on in the past, and is currently going on, plus the direct acknowledgement that we are not inferior to another sexual group, that homosexual sex is not immoral, and that we are entitled to marry whoever we choose, and be married by a priest if we choose to be, (and of course, righting all the other wrongs of the catholic church, like paedophillia and the opposition to abortion and condoms, and to women in positions of authority), then I'll say he's a good pope.

17. tscott

Unlike France which requires everyone to be married civilly and if desired a religious afterward, Italy allows for this separation. Italy recognizes both civil unions and Roman Catholic marriages on a par. The Church is the only one beside the government who is permitted to perform this ceremony. So if you're not Roman Catholic, you would need to have a civil union along with any other rites you desire. This is a very big deal and not as much of an issue of being second class citizens as many have perceived.

The Church still won't marry gays, but then Southern Baptists won't marry us either in this country. Southern Baptists won't recognize our unions whether civil or not. Churches, temples, whatever are clubs of like believers. Like all clubs, they are not all inclusive nor do they intend to be. Why fault them for that? If you don't like the rules, find another club.

Having grown up Roman Catholic, this is a very big step for the Church. I am a faithful Anglican and became one when I was in college. I have no intention of going back, but if I were still in the Church I might think twice about leaving and working for reform from within.

Being recognized by the club is a hell of a lot better than being a nonperson. This a huge step in the right direction, particularlly since the Church doesn't have to make this move at all.

18. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I fully agree.

I think this is a very progressive stance for the Pope to take. Is it perfect? No, but what ever is? I don't see the Baptists here budging an inch in this direction.

I also applaud his speaking out on behalf of the widening gap between rich and poor, which have met with scathing criticism from right-wingers in America. I like his style, and feel he sets a more progressive message than any pope I can recall.

19. Sitri

This is certainly the most radical pope I can think of since... ever? He suggested that being a good person, not being catholic gets you into heaven. There are rumors that he sneaks out of the vatican at night disguised as a normal priest and gives food and preaches to the poor. The Catholic church may not have a clean record, but I am not one to hold one to the crimes of their predecessors. We didn't blame Coolidge for Teapot Dome after all.

20. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

The Catholic church still clings to birth control as being against its teachings, so ... so ... It is an organization that is really one huge bell shaped curve - a few are very liberal, a few are very conservative, and the vast majority are somewhere in between, picking and choosing what they agree and disagree with, and doing so silently. The majority, occupying most of the bell shaped curve, are referred to as "cafeteria" Catholics.

It will be the next few Popes who determine where the church goes. If another Ratzinger gets in there, it will be like hitting a lull. It's too hard to tell. I have a feeling there is a contingent of puppeteers who really know where they want the church to go and they are the ones who dictate this from behind the scenes. Again, it's all too hard to tell.