1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll on a book ending?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kay, Feb 7, 2013.

?

What ending?

1. Tragic

39 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Hollywood Happy

23 vote(s)
    37.1%
  1. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hollywood Happy. I hate going through a whole book for it to only end badly or in an undesirable way after you've become "attached" to the characters. Same goes for movies.

2. Kay

Kay Guest

There are a lot of options with this plot line and the characters.

---------- Post added 7th Feb 2013 at 02:37 PM ----------

It makes a great deal of sense. The story in a nutshell. Lesbian detective has a client show up who is looking for her daughter who has been missing seven years. The client is straight and feels some sort of attraction to the detective. Both women are in their forties. The detective knows better then get involved. Revealing more spoils the story but this is a crossroads along both story lines. I won't kill everyone and the love relationship is also up in the air. You are all such great talented people I figured i would play pick the end. Hugs and thanks dear.

3. Bolin

Tragic. I only like happy endings if they're realistic or earned. Unfortunately, good realistic happy endings and earned happy endings a rare, at least in the books I read.

4. vyvance

Happy endings are tired, overdone, and bore me to tears. Tragic for me.

5. Kay

Kay Guest

Some authors back off from tragic endings because they can be more complicated. Some think it hurts their market. Lesbian fiction is growing but still limited market. I don't really worry if it is tragic or not. This story has great options either way. So who better to ask than the LGBTQ community. Hugs and love dear thanks for the input.

---------- Post added 7th Feb 2013 at 03:26 PM ----------

Clockwork Orange is a masterwork wow. Burgess was on his game.

Happy endings sometimes spoil the natural ending. It is like the Hollywood bounce. You can have a bad ending but they add that last minute to make is all good. The viewer knows where it should have ended. The Jagged Edge is a great example. It should have ended before the mask is removed. Hugs and love.

6. jp16

I voted Tragic. I enjoy reading books. I like when the ending gives hope that further good things will happen. Often the main story arc ends well, but further events are pictured and they are sadder than the culminating event.
    And even though i never root for the bad guys. I fed up about good guys win, everyone lives happily ever after... phhts i am tired of it already. Thats just as cliche as the starbucks across the street from the starbucks thats right next to the other starbucks:slight_smile:.

7. Kay

Kay Guest

You are right in my opinion tragedy does get reread more than happy endings in this house as well. They hold up better over time. Thanks and hugs

8. Emberstone

both. there are shades of gray, not black and white, in the ending of a good book. Sometimes, you need to end it in a more tragic note, or temper the happiness at the end of whatever conflict drove the story with a realization that things wont go back to what they were before, but that life, simply, goes on regardless, and you are moreorless on for the ride.

9. Kay

Kay Guest

I am not a fan of sappy. Yuck. I like real and because I wrote for the screen first I am visual.I want the reader to really see what the characters are looking at or doing. tearjerkers are great as well because they evoke real emotions. I don't even mind if the reader gets mad that I was harsh in the end and did something totally unexpected. LOL thanks sweetheart

10. samizer0313

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tragic because I'm better at writing depressing things.

11. Cthulhu

Or execs get too involved in a film and try to force a "love conquers all" ending, even though it ruins the tone of the film or story (I'm looking at you, studio execs behind the movie "Brazil").

Edit: Yes, I know this thread is about book endings, but I felt that I would best emphasize that point with the production of Brazil.

#31 Cthulhu, Feb 7, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  12. Kay

Kay Guest

I hate that as well. i want the people in the story so real you wish you could have them to dinner. i think i have achieved it in the past. I thank you for your input sweetie.

---------- Post added 7th Feb 2013 at 04:58 PM ----------

I agree solid happy ending are rare they often feel contrived. Then you get angry you wasted your time. Hugs

---------- Post added 7th Feb 2013 at 05:03 PM ----------

I have yet to look at the poll. i will follow the vote. I will also post a few excerpts as i go along as teasers. Hugs

---------- Post added 7th Feb 2013 at 05:08 PM ----------

Thanks all endings in life are not happy. In this community we should know that well. Things can be rough. Hugs

13. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    Definitely tragic! I do enjoy a good Hollywood happy ending occasionally, but I prefer and interesting, tragic one.

14. Kay

Kay Guest

I think for many tragic is easier because that is where they are. Hugs

---------- Post added 7th Feb 2013 at 05:36 PM ----------

Book and film endings show the same things and in films Hollywood Endings are the rule. They will tack onto the real ending to make it happy and you can see when this is done.

15. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Tragedy is probably my favorite plot style of all time.

16. Kay

Kay Guest

I have not looked at the vote but it seems from the responses in thread Tragic is winning. Thanks honey hugs

---------- Post added 7th Feb 2013 at 05:44 PM ----------

Cool I still have to see the poll results. I can't wait.

17. DeanIsHome

I like tragic mainly because it's unexpected for me since I ALWAYS expect a happy ending.

18. A mix of the two works the best. (See the ending of Deadwood as a good example of this.) Completely tragic and completely happy are both kinda cheap to me. Of course some writers can pull off something like that (Ugh the ending of Of Mice and Men is one of the saddest things I've ever read.) it takes real talent to pull off an ending that is completely tragic or happy and have it be satisfying.

19. Rivers

Tragic endings always leave me feeling empty inside, and unrealistically perfect endings are just annoying. I prefer endings that end somewhat resolved, with melancholy undertones. Kind of like the ending of The Silence of the Lambs. Or any of Wes Anderson's movies.

20. thegaymer

I've read too many tragic endings in English class to want another one out there. It really bums me out.