1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please, help me

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by nathand, Apr 30, 2014.

1. nathand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Last night my mother tried to talk with me again about my sexuality. I was completely honest about my feelings, told her everything I feel for my boyfriend and also said I miss him so much. She was listening, and after I finished, she just told: "I want all luck of the world on your side, but for me, I just want to die ASAP. I am ashamed of you and of this life you chose for yourself. You are not aware of what you did to me, to your father and to your sister. I am so full of shame that I can't talk to anyone and I am not the same person any more - i do not smile nor sleep." I told her that all this is her problem, her perception and that she is just making it harder for herself and for me. She then replied that, if it is this easy, why I do not tell it to my father, and I said because I don't know how he will take it. She just told me that I should stop destroying myself, them, my boyfriend and his family. After I told her they accepted him and me as well, she just said: "stop it, don't lie". I just told her that very first day I get days off I am going to visit him because I love him and care for him no matter what she said. I really don't know if I did it well.

2. Aaron82

Aaron82 Guest

You have to move out ASAP. Your LOVE is the most important. Your Parents need time. Information that you are gay does not kill your parents, belive me. /told your father, go to visit your BF and when you back you talk to your father and you will see what happend. Even if they don't accept you, you will feel free.

3. nathand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah, that is what I think, but they will stop finincing my college and that is the main reason why I am still with them under the same roof. I love them and care for them and I respect them but they just don't realize that :frowning2: And it freeks me out.

4. nathand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Didn't even talk with my mum today. I tried but she didn't want to.

5. Lukas17

I really don't understand, on the beginning I thought she would be okay with this whole thing but lately I was kinda surprised with her reaction. You're her son and no matter what she should love you. You can try to talk her again, even if it's necessary few times, because she's your mother but after that you should give her a break to think about everything and to think about everything. :slight_smile:

6. nathand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So did I, but it just gets worse and worse and worse...

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! A bit of distance, and creating some room for things to settle down again, might be a good idea. Sometimes, it takes a while for things to sink in, and once they have, this is when we realize what happened, and only then, can we start coming to terms with what happened. It will take some time for your mom to come to terms with it but giving her some time at this moment, could benefit everybody.

Talk with your mum about other things. Go about your usual daily routines, and talk to her about them. By doing this, you are showing that nothing changes as a result of your sexual orientation or having a boyfriend. Things will likely calm down again. (*hug*)

8. nathand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I also taught that she will eventually calm down, try to think other way, but no. It's been three months since I told her and she shows no sign, no willingness to change her mind. So I know she can't do it so fast, but any sign that she will try to understand my feelings. But no. I am something unnatural for her, what will people say and etc.

9. Kenaz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Although the experience of time is subjective; three months is not that long for major life changes and alterations to our expectations of reality. You were right when you said it was your mother's responsibility to choose how she perceives things and accepts or does not accept you for who you identify as. That is not YOUR problem.

We can only be responsible for ourselves. That being said, just remember this extends to you as well. You have stated reality, be proud to be who you are and work on yourself, love yourself, find positives and excel in your own actions. You mom will have to deal with her own life on her terms. Give her the space and freedom you are seeking from others as well. Give yourself permission to be you, happy, and successful and then go for it.

Do what is best for you -- if someone else loves you, they will want the same.

10. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

This might sound a bit cold, and I apologise for that in advance.

It has been three months since you told your mother, three months since she said you killed her, them, three months since she said she wants to die because of you.

She is still alive.
    Your father is still alive.
    Everyone is still alive.

I doubt she will die because of you knowing your true self now, or at any point in the future. She's been telling you the same thing time and time again, and she did not act upon it. I don't think you have to worry much about that. :slight_smile:

So this remains:

11. nathand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    She just entered my room. I was reading something. She approached me and asked if she can kiss me. I told her yes (with a tone if you really have to). So, she kissed me and told me: "I'm gonna kiss you like this every night". I don't know how to explain this.. Is she trying to make me feel loved so she can manipulate with me, or she finally realized something. I think it is the first one..

12. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

While I think it's too early for your guard down (Who knows what she might be planning if she's desperate), just stick to your guns and enjoy NOT being yelled at and causing tears for now. :slight_smile:

If anything, think positive.

13. Kenaz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't think too much into it. We do a lot of crazy things, but love prevails.

Life can be rough; but life is good if we choose to see the 'glass half full.' It really is true.

Enjoy and cherish such moments like that. Your mother loves you. Smile. Enjoy this. :slight_smile:

You are brave and I am proud of you. Don't let this one moment in your life define the infinite possibilities and potentials waiting to greet you in the future. Create a life you enjoy and are proud of -- each moment, each minute, each hour, each day, month, year, at a time. (&&&)

14. literalmerida

First of all, congrats for your love.
    Second, I strongly believe that you should lie. Lie your ass off. Your parents seem incredibly homophobic and if your mom won't let you see him, lie. Long distance relationships are okay of course, but you need to see him sometimes. If your mom suspects, lie some more. And my friend... Get outta there ASAP.

15. nathand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I do. In the end, I always say it will be ok, even if it doesn't seem so. The problem here is that my boyfriend and I are miles and miles apart, and they are the only reason why I can't visit him. This is why I am sad and depressed. Because I miss him a lot, have money to travel and have enough time, but also have idiotic parents.

My mother loves some other me. Not me me, but the other me. The straight me. The day she relizes I did not change, and that the least important thing is who I go into bed with, abd when she kisses me then, I will enjoy. Now, I don't.

My problem is that I can lie to anyone, but not them. They know me too good and they know when I am telling the truth. Last time I said I am going to visit my girfriend in captial of Croatia, and the very last day, before the trip, she asked if I am telling them the truth. And I said no. Because I know she knows. And my father is policeman. Very known in Croatia and Split especially. In any moment he can realize I am 250km away from the city I should be in:tears:

16. nathand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My sister just told me that we need to talk with dad. She told me this because in her opinion, this whole situation for our mom is too hard and that it would much better if we tell it to dad so maybe than she will feel better or at least will have someone to talk to. I would like to tell my dad that I am gay, but I am afraid of his reaction and also everything I am passing through with my mum, I will have to pass again. I am afraid of his reation, and I also don't know how to approach him. I am afraid then relationship between my boyfriend and me will be destroyed, or I will have to move out, quit college and... I don't know. I am really sorry guys for bothering you here again and again but I am scared as never before. My worst dreams are becoming reality..

17. marriedover50

Sounds like it is time and you have your sister's support. You have to make the choice, but you are old enough to know what is best for you. Your parents will have to deal with their own stuff. You cannot effect change on that, but you can be honest with yourself.

I wish I had known all that I know now at your age. This is the hardest part being honest with those you love. You can do. I am sending your love and hugs and hope through the internet.

18. nathand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey, thanks for your support! Something same said my friend today, and my boyfriend told me that no matter what I do or what I say he will be with me. He said that I shouldn't listen that much others, but to listen to myself because I am the only one who knows my parents the best. I know my dad, and I know he will be both furious and sad when he finds out. Although my sister thinks he will not prohibit me from going to my boyfriend, I think he will and that is the only reason why I am so scared of telling him the truth. It has been 3 months since I saw my boyfriend and I really don't know what I will do if he doesn't give me his permission. Maybe because he did permit me to go to my "girlfriend" 3 months ago, now he will say no, you are like this because we allowed you so many things... I really don't know what to do and I want to show them my authority.

#38 nathand, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014
  19. Kenaz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What is more important -- 'showing your authority' or finishing school? Which would be more helpful in the long run or in any pragmatic sense? Slow down. You are feeling many emotions, thinking many thoughts, and so forth. These are all experiences, do not let them take control over you. Think about where you'd like to be and work from there, realistically.

Dreams do come true, but like a farmer's field, it takes long-term planning, insight, and sometimes droughts/times of roughness. In the long run, and through practice and experience and wisdom, you will create more and more of the life you desire.

Take a step back. Figure things out. Be patient. Remain calm. :slight_smile:

#39 Kenaz, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: May 28, 2014
  20. nathand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

Of course it is much more important to finish my education but you can't let someone ruin something really important to you, only because of someones wrong beliefs or just because they are educating you, which is in some way their obligation as a parent.

I am kind of a person who will always fight for someone or something I love. Especially if there is some injustice. I will do everything to stay with someone I love. For so many years I was alone and unhappy. Now, I don't want to lose my happiness because my parents do what they have to - paying my tuition.

I contacted a psychologist today. She is one of the best in my country, usually you can read about her and her work in newspapers. I admire her a lot because she was my psychology teacher at the college so, I asked her for help. She told me to either move out and continue with my own life in the same city, visit my parents once or twice, or stay with them and put a relationship aside. She told me to do everything with a plan and together with my boyfriend. She finds this situation extremely hard and she think there is a hard period of time for me. But her conclusion was is that love of our parents is big, even bigger than we think. She told me my father may surprise me, same as my mother. So, there is hope. (!)