1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pissed off at friends who don't know anything about LGBTQ+

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by justagay13, Feb 2, 2018.

1. justagay13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So yesterday Me and my friends were watching movie Padmaavat. There was a gay character in that movie named Malik Kafur. Today we were discussing about that movie and one of them said Malik was Transgender (Hijra) and everyone agreed to that bullshit. I was so angry so I said to him is was gay not Transgender. That idiot said laughing there's no difference in Gay and Transgender. I'm so pissed of at my LGBTQ+ ignorent friends who don't even know difference between Gay and Transgender.

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Probably because LGB (sexuality) gets put with T* (gender) which is two separate groups altogether some people get mixed up. Also further since transgender used to be transexual, heterosexist used to include transgender as "cis"gender wasn't a thing and cisgender is sometimes used as meaning "transgender and not-straight".

There is so much stuff going on in the world. Your friends may have their own problems you are ignorant to. You can't know everything and if it doesn't concern you, you are more likely to just casually ignore it.

Instead of calling/believing him an idiot which will cause negative tention and cause him to strengthen his own belief, just say or write out the difference between transgender and gay.

#2 Secrets5, Feb 2, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  3. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So explain the difference? Maybe they haven't had the opportunity to learn yet.

4. justagay13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    In India no one likes to talk about gays and LGBTQ stuff. It's like taboo. And they're like 20 years old. They had lot of opportunities to learn about it. Also today when I told them difference, he said " why u know so much about this? Do you like gay ? Hahaha". I haven't came out to anyone because of such homophobia in our society.

5. Cas girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thats because India has stereotypical view on gay people. The people expect them to wear flamboyant dresses, walk with a swagger, be bad at all things "red blooded male" do.
    If Malik kafur was transgender, then what about Khilji ? He was the one wearing a coat lined with fur, had waist length hair, loved jewellery and dancing. So do it also make him a transgender ?

If you bang your head against a wall, the brick ( people stupidity ) will not be affected, you will. Pick your battles wisely.

6. justagay13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Exactly! This should be changed. LGBTQ people should be treated as good as straight ones. I'm 20 and some peoples are telling me they can't wait till I get married in 3 to 4 years. Like whom I'm I supposed to marry as a gay? They tell me they'll find a good bride for me! I can't tell them I'm gay. They'll kill me with trolls and all the hate.
    . PS- Also section 377 should be passed asap

7. Cas girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wasn't gay sex decriminalised in 2008 or 2009 ?

My mother was like that in the beginning. That my " thoughts " will change after marriage.
    I repeated shoved all things homosexual under her nose until she couldn't ignore it. Told her about how Germany and Australia have legalised same sex marriage. She is accepting that daughter wasn't going through a phase.
    She asks me questions about homosexual characters in tv shows, under which category the fall.
    It is not a big change but a change nonetheless.

So try explaining to people will listen and not ridicule what you say.
    Remember, we fought and protested for almost a century before we got our freedom. These things take time. Have patience. All will be well.

8. justagay13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes..we have to be patient.
    This year Gay Sex will be discriminated (maybe). But when will gay marriage will be allowed in India?! We have long journey to make to get life partner we want and we love. I'm happy your mother is accepting you. But there are people I saw, their parents literally thrown them out of house for being different.

9. justagay13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

10. AdityaD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    In my opinion,it'd be better to NOT legalize same-sex marriage in India for at least next 100 years cause the society doesn't even know most simple basics about gender and sexual orientation and that there's something called homosexuality(as you said that people don't even know the difference between gay and transgender) and definitely our society will not be ready for such a drastic change. It'd be better to educate them first even if they hate that and pass homophobic comments but we need to educate them first and tell them that homosexuality is a reality and other stuff.

I've been to some European countries where same-sex marriage is legal and I've noticed a very huge difference between their mindset,opinions,thoughts and every other things.
    Its just normal there for two person of same sex kissing and making out with each other in public and nobody minds that whereas in India heterosexuals couple holding hands in public is something else.
    Rather legalizing this will put us in more danger as more and more people will eventually try to come out and you know that society is homophobic and you know the rest!

11. justagay13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You r right but things got to change. People should learn to accept change. In India people only think of gays as "maa da ladla bigad Gaya" or even consider him as Transgender. It's not our fault that people's mind is set on these stereotypes. Who will educate them about homosexuality if they don't even want to learn about them or even fear bring that topic up?

12. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This is still the common belief in some parts of the US, nobody where I live ever asked me to do anything that would require physical strength. When we were cleaning out the back room of the barbershop the other guy said "Dont worry buddy, I can get all of the heavy stuff, I dont want you getting hurt, if you can just get a mop and broom and make it nice in here afterward" not that Im complaining but stereotypes still exist all over. Some people where I live think I want a sex change because in there mind gay men want to be women.

13. AdityaD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    From my personal experiences,it's very hard to change mindset of Indians .I'm in 12th grade and half of my classmates are homophobic, so you can't really expect the change from our generation too. Sometimes I'm amazed about how rapidly we've been adapting western culture but why can't we still do this. I think change in our Educating system can do that. And also gay marriage is obviously not a top priority of our country(economy.infrastructure,poverty,hunger and most important the education system are the top most priorities).

14. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    @AdityaD Im so shocked by this, I always thought India was a gay country. I guess even I fall victim to stereotypes, I just saw all of the men in jewelry and pretty silk and all of the bright colors and just assumed it was LGBT friendly. Also the eyeliner seen on men and boys.

#14 Jackie Ray, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  15. AdityaD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    India is more homophobic than you can even imagine. Well that's Indian culture and tradition to wear jewelry and silk and bright color clothes.Some people wear that on daily basis and some on festivals and religious days So that's definitely stereotypes.I'm Indian and gay and the fun fact is that I hate wearing jewelry and bright color clothes.

16. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thats interesting, where I come from jewelry, bright colors, silk, and eyeliner are considered queer or at least queer adjacent. The heterosexual men are conservative wearing black, grey, dark blues, and browns. Bright colors for neck ties only.

Ive heard about "corrective rapes" occurring in India, is that widespread or just in a particular region or ethic group? In the US gays are embraced, tolerated, or rejected depending on the region you live in. In my region I feel tolerated.

Art and creativity are also considered warning signs, painting, drawing (especially male bodies), sculpting, poetry, some types of music. They dont mean gay but people think if you are creative you are more likely to be fruity.

#16 Jackie Ray, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  17. Cas girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    We were always a colourful country and fond of jewellery. It was a means to show off your wealth.

People often assume that some are gay coz either they are "unsatisfied" with their wife or haven't had a "true experience" yet. Most cases the parents are faulted for children's sexuality coz Indians think sexuality as a choice. So they are either married or honour killed.

Same in India. Also these types of occupation means less income, so a prestige issue.

18. becKEY0011

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The outfit is purely a result of culture. I'm from South Asia, and everyone here is obsessed with color. Darker colors are for funerals and minimalism is for professional space. But makeup on men is still stigmatized, and any men acting feminine is instantly labelled as transgender (hijra) and it's mostly used as an insult. They don't even know 'gay' exists. It's either you are a man loving woman only, and a woman loving man only. Even heterosexual couples go through a lot of drilling solely because they love each other. Then there is caste issues, race, religion...no wonder homophobia still persists. They don't even realize they are being homophobic.

It's sad, but not their fault either. Ignorance gives birth to hate, and if only there were more exposure to the LGBT+ culture in the media, it would 'normalise' stuff, make people understand that we are just like them. 'Modern Family' does a good job on that. It's the fear of unknown that makes people unwilling to learn. Actually, in my opinion, India seems more progressive compared to other smaller South Asian countries.

19. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    @Cas girl you say honour killed, is that common? What do the police do to stop it?

20. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Growing up I felt the the police in my town didnt care about protecting gays from vandalism and beatings, but I was always confident that they drew the line at outright murder. A man in my neighborhood was arrested when I was little for murdering and robbing a gay man, most people disliked gays but still agreed that the murderer was a scumbag druggie POS. The only person I knew that didnt condemn it was my father, who is himself a scumbag druggie POS.