1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photography

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Nychthemeron, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ah, gotcha. I've heard of that before. It looks so cool. ;7 ;

And, yeah, I guess hip shots are cool. Still apprehensive, though. :lol:

Good idea about catching insects in the cold. Luckily (or not) it's getting colder here, which does mean more sluggish animals, but it also means worse natural light. :/

AND, MUSHROOMS. SO MANY MUSHROOMS. They grow within a die and die the next or something. It's really odd.

I tried attaching a picture I took of some mushrooms with my iPhone, but I'm not sure if it works.

edit: ):

(Also: bokeh is pretty much my favorite thing. ever. like a city skyline + bokeh ? = wow)

Edit: I thought I replied, but:

Woah-oh, Kem— those are REALLY good! The second one (trees?) almost looks like an acryllic painting!

Didn't know there was terminology for that (lightplay), though. That's really, really cool.

Attached Files:

#21 Nychthemeron, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  2. shinji

shinji Guest

Uhhhhhhhhhhh... wut? 【・_・?】

Mushrooms look nice, but the colors are a bit washed out. You've kind of lost focus somewhere along the way of the second mushroom, maybe close aperture?

3. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anyway, here are some examples that I've taken - mostly urban or general scenery shots..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd like to get into close-up photography too - but my attempts are usually unsuccessful. My camera isn't the greatest though.

#23 imnotreallysure, Oct 12, 2014
  4. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    new york bokeh skyline by toko on deviantART

And, thanks. The washed-out color was intentional, but I suppose the weather affected it, too. It was really cloudy that day, and I don't know how to edit it to make it look like there was better natural light, so I settled for the next best thing. :lol:

As for close aperture, I actually edited the picture (and failed - you can see I know nothing about perspective here), so yeah, I guess so. I think I should just stick to simple foreground-background things. :/

Argh, those are really nice shots! :0

But, yes, you should totally get into close-up photography. It's super cool and it's sort of makes you pay attention to the minuscule details you may have missed before.

5. Hel

Hel

I love photography. It's one of my main passion.

I personally use a Lumix (Panasonic). It's not too pricey and takes good photography in my opinion.

Examples:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would love to hear your feedback!

6. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Both those pictures are really wonderful!

Probably don't want to hear this from someone who can't really do it well themselves, but have you tried getting a closer shot? It's harder with animals (and things that are in the middle of lakes, haha) but the end result is really, really worth it.

If you haven't heard of it, there's also something called the rule of thirds, even if it's not really a rule. I don't really follow it either, but if it interests you: Rule of thirds - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

#26 Nychthemeron, Oct 12, 2014
  7. kem

kem

EDIT: OP, thanks for the comments! I don't know if lightplay is proper nomenclature, it's just a nice term I coined (maybe? I haven't heard of it being used before but I suppose it makes sense so I assume it's been around before me)
    I think that for an artist to produce what could be called art, the artist must have some view on the philosophy art. For me, art is resemblance. It's powerful in its ambiguity. It's an idea of something. It brings to mind something you can't quite put your finger on. At least, that's what I want my art to be. When I feel like I've succeeded in creating that kind of atmosphere, I'm confident in calling that piece art.
    Maximum shutter speed is 1 second, and the way it works is a bit tricky. There's no viewfinder so it sort of captures what's on the screen... Fortunately I like tricky.

I already have a Nikkormat FtN whose lever jams up every now and then. Shutters get stuck, its backplate doesn't stay shut and I don't even know how well it exposes! I may have wasted a €13 roll of infrared purple film on it haha... Yeah I love film.

And yeah, I've been shooting manual since I got my D60.

I like shooting people, milieu and tree barks. And abstract light/colour stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#27 kem, Oct 12, 2014
  8. Hel

Hel

Thanks!

I try to get as close as possible but most of the time the "subject" moves and my pictures are blurry... Concerning the Rule of third, I try to apply it but without success most of the time.

Seeing all those beautiful pictures in this thread makes me want to take my camera and go outside!

9. shinji

shinji Guest

Close-up lens filters are your friend. Or borrow an actual lens and shoot through it (reverse). You can get pretty much 1:1 or even more, depending on how you do it.
    "Bokeh" with no dof is simply, being drunk and not focusing properly. But it is pretty!

Also... this: - before/after, sharpness, vibrance, contrast
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A bit closer and somewhat off-center and this would be like, better than most stuff other photographers i know, produce.
    Let's be friends!

10. Paul6089

Paul6089 Guest

Nice photography!

11. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @kem: Ah, I see. And, yes, I definitely agree with you on your view on art. It's a bit difficult to get it right at first, but I suppose it gets easier as you practice.
    @Hel: Definitely understand that - and yeah, wow, I loved looking through those pictures. Most relaxing thing of the day - scroll through photography!
    @Shinji: Well, yeah, but then it wouldn't just be the skyline. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: And, nice edit! Thanks, it does look better. I suppose I have to get over my constant worry of over-exposure and all. :/

12. shinji

shinji Guest

But you need to have something in focus, i mean... it's like... it can't be this huge mushy mess of things. Something must draw the eye of the viewer. So that the viewer can distinguish the different elements of the photo. Background, foreground etc... (」゜ロ゜)」

13. shinji

shinji Guest

Exactly like that. (*≧▽≦)ノシ))

Sorry for my unconstructive post... but, yeah.(。-_-。)

14. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nah, it's cool. You should post more of your photography, if you'd like. I really loved your smoke picture.

15. shinji

shinji Guest

You should become a friend then, it's kind of "silly" to post pics left and right, don't you agree? щ(゜ロ゜щ)

16. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, maybe. It wouldn't clutter the thread too much, in any case.

I sent a friend request. Thanks. :slight_smile:

17. littlemonster11

18. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like taking pictures! Yet I'm not really good at it.

And I use Gimp to create effects and all that, I like to make it the way I want. =)