1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phobia of Drag Queens?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HuskyPup, Jul 20, 2015.

1. CyanChachki

As a trans person and a drag queen, I can tell you right here and right now that other drag queens don't offend me. People have gotten up on RuPaul's case for some of the industry terms that they use which are the same words used for transphobic purposes, but mean totally different things (which I understand) but with that being said, it's not meant to hurt anyone. All of this isn't just coming from drag queens either. I've heard a lot of people from the community use derogatory terms like the F word (not the swear word, the other one) and other words like "queer" and "dyke" and yet everyone just happens to be okay with it, even though those words meant something completely different when I was a teen.

You also have to understand that a lot of the meaner queens like Bianca Del Rio and Kennedy Davenport don't act that way all the time. It's their act, their drag character. Out of drag, they're completely different. Sure, there are bitter queens out there.. but lumping all drag queens into one just because you've met a few that weren't so nice to you, really isn't that fair at all. There are queens like Joslyn Fox, James St. James, JuJubee and many more who are completely nice, even in drag.

2. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Hey all! I know! Let's go to an online forum specifically designed for people suffering from discrimination on basis of a (or two) certain kind of xenophobia(s) and be xenophobic against another group of people! Come on, let's do it! Oh, that's what you're doing already? Awesome!

3. CyanChachki

If you're trying to tell me that I'm discriminating the OP, I'm not. I'm simply stating why they have nothing to fear. I know that it's not going to suddenly make them stop fearing drag queens but at least they can know that there's no real harm in this, possibly making it easier for them to overcome.

4. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Wait what? xD You've got it back-to-front, mister. Xenophobia means fear of the unknown - I meant they shouldn't fear drag queens simply because they're drag queens.

I'm on your side lol

5. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, it's not that I don't like them as people, I'm just scared of them, and the sort of catty aspects of gay bars/culture they often represent. I'm sure there's some very sweet ones out there, and, to be fair, I am a huge fan of John Waters movies, especially those starring Divine. Living in Baltimore, I've had the chance to have a book about Divine signed by his mother, and have even visited the grave out in Towson, where people leave many odd offerings: we noted a cucumber shaped vibrator, among the flowers :slight_smile:

So no, I am not against drag queens, it's simply that the Roo Paul style thing makes me uncomfortable; it's just not me.

And as for fear, it's again kinda like a fear of clowns. I don't run when I see one, or pee my pants, it's just not generally my cup of tea. :slight_smile:

6. FANTIE

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Me too :angry:.

7. Calldari

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am a trans guy so maybe my comfort level with Drags Queens is a bit biased. Trans women are more likely to be the ones who feel invalidated by Drag Queens, if they think it mocks them or is something no one should be doing because it makes their attempts at becoming female look like a phase.

But, anyways.

I don't think there's anything wrong with drag culture, it's fun, it's silly, and it's a hell of a lot of work. I would say yes they are not a part of Trans culture because they believe they are their birth gender, they do not seek to transcend or transform into a new self. They're acting and enjoying having a persona. When I write stories I delve into the minds of female characters though I don't feel like I am one of them, and I think about how they'd like to wear makeup, or not, or have a dress or skirt, dangly earrings and a purse to match, etc, but it is only a persona I use to create my stories just like the outfits and makeup of Drag artists are tools to make their performances great.

Someone mentioned Ru Paul. I'm sorry but he is a jerk. He is over the top and a bad example, no one should use only his story to represent how all Drag Queens live and act.
    Also he is not entitled to the reclaiming of the word Tranny, only Trans Women, who have had that word hurled at them as an insult have the right to reclaim that word and make it a word of pride instead of oppression.

Plus, something to think about is that maybe the discomfort with Drag Queens in particular has to do with the heightened femininity, the over the top makeup, the crass humor.

I personally, hate being around overly feminine or masculine places I like mixes of both because I find either extreme suffocating and garish. So maybe it's not the people themselves but their actions that make you slightly uncomfortable. Get to know a Drag Queen or something, maybe that'll help.