1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PFLAG Executive Director on Oprah Today!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by beckyg, Jul 10, 2007.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    This is a repeat show on sibilings. Jody Huckaby our PFLAG Executive Director is featured. Here is his biography:

Jody Michael Huckaby has been a nonprofit executive for 14 years, serving as Executive Director of the Washington Humane Society in Washington, DC, New Mexico AIDS Services in Albuquerque, NM, and the Bering/Omega Community Foundation in Houston, TX. He also was a member of the board of directors of AIDS Action in DC, and in that capacity, he performed gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender (GLBT) grassroots organizing and public policy development on HIV issues,
    housing, health care and research.
    As a gay man with three gay brothers and four straight siblings, Jody brings a unique family
    perspective to the role of Executive Director of PFLAG. Since the start of his tenure in 2005, he has been the voice of PFLAG on issues including marriage equality, judicial nominations, education, extremist organizations, and other issues key to families. He also writes a weekly message to PFLAG supporters in the PFLAG Weekly Alert (available online at www.pflag.org) with the goal of moving equality forward for GLBT individuals and their families everywhere.
    Jody holds a bachelor’s degree in Psychology from the University of Dallas and has done graduate work in theology at the University of St. Mary of the Lake in Chicago.

2. SadConfusedBandGeek

errr...not sure i get it? But a pflag person is on Oprah so thats pretty good!!

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yes, the show is about siblings. Since it is quite odd for half of eight children to be gay, Oprah featured them. Jody just happened to get to share that his job was at PFLAG and what it does and who it helps. Pretty cool!

4. Micah

Hrm I'd love to watch that episode!

5. CrimsonThunder

Me too. Is it on YouTube Becky? Otherwise I think us Australians have to wait for a year for it to come on. >_>

6. Sam

Sam

I actually saw oprah today and saw him and his brothers. its crazy that he is one of 4 brothers to be gay. maybe this will help some people to realize that it really isn't a choice. I was only kind of watching oprah because I was bored and I just wanted the noise of the tv but when this story began and I really started watching the tv!

7. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always find it weird when a PFLAG group is run by someone who's gay. I was pretty involved in our local chapter here and I could tell the people in charge wanted me to be more involved and I was like, "Uh... no, it's a group for parents, friends, family! Specifically, one assumes it's for parents/friends/family who AREN'T gay themselves." So yeah, I didn't get more involved--and now our chapter is run by a gay guy. *sigh*

I really think that's counterproductive... any PFLAG group should be led by someone non-queer. Sure, queer people can and should be involved but otherwise, it's kinda shooting yourself in the foot.