1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pet peeves around LGBT?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jessica79, Feb 17, 2015.

1. RadioRoss

"You have to like one or the other."

"You're just confused/greedy."

"Since you like both, you date more than one person at a time?"

"How can you be two genders?"

"I don't believe you."

#21 RadioRoss, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  2. My True Self

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Short haired girl = Lesbian.

I'll just leave that there.

3. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That just because you're gay your supposed to like certain things: poppy music like Lady Gaga, showtunes, and all that. I don't, never have and never will. Please do not assume I'm like the gay people on TV...that really bugs me, like the ones on Queer Eye and Queer as Folk, and all that.

I don't at all relate to these images, and have never cared to have them projected onto me.

4. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Same! I hate it when people say stuff like that. One of my friends said there's no such thing as asexual and any asexuals are just kidding themselves. Why do people have to tell others what sexuality they are? How would a non-asexual even know anyway...

5. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's a phase...

Well, next time tell me my phase it's going to be +30 years long (and counting...)

I could write something long about this... But I refuse to go there right now.

#25 Michael, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2015
  6. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Homophobic parents!!!!!!!!

7. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "You must find all guys attractive":dry:

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

While I could talk about individuals who aren't part of the LGBT community, and what they "do wrong", I believe others have covered those well enough.

What I will mention though is a very big problem, for the community as a whole:

The movement hijackers.

Now, you might be wondering, what exactly is a "movement hijacker"? Well, to put it simply, it's the individuals who believe, if you are L/G/B/T/etc, that you must be a certain way in terms of mannerisms, beliefs, and appearance. To even think about diverging from that is nothing short of betrayal and sabotage. The individuals who have their own LGBT Bible, with all "the rules", and if you don't fit that mold to a T, you aren't "really [insert something here]" or "[insert something here] enough".

To go even further, the individuals who use the movement for their own power trips. Individuals who, lacking the courage to face their opposition, take it out on others who, like them, are also probably victims in some way. This includes individuals who get jealous or mad when it isn't them getting credit; in a nutshell, if it isn't them giving the advice or making the offer, even if the advice is sound and the offer is accepted, they would rather become passive-aggressive cry babies, than be denied their glory hounding.

It's easy to be ignorant to something, if you've never had to experience it. But to bring down your own brothers and sisters, because you lack a spine, is absolutely uncalled for, especially if you know what oppression and judgement is like.

9. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    This.

I mean we could write a book (several in fact, long ones) on the shit that society puts LGBT people through and that's bad enough, but when you get divisiveness within the community itself that's the real kicker. Having a community is supposed to be about supporting each other, not making things worse. Even within the separate groups you get individuals who lash out at others. I've encountered lesbians who claim to be somehow superior to other lesbians because of their life experiences, or attempt to invalidate other's sexuality based on their own assumption that what makes a woman a lesbian is hatred of men rather than attraction to women; one of the misconceptions which, ironically, comes from the very attitudes within larger society that cause LGBT to be marginalised and misunderstood in the first place :dry:

Edit: was still typing my response to this thread when Kaiser posted hers, but her above post phrases it much better. 'Hijackers' sums it up pretty well.

#29 TigerInATophat, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  10. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When ugly straight guys act like we have a disease or something and they're all so afraid of being around gays because they're afraid we will hit on them. Don't flatter yourself. Just because I'm gay doesn't mean I don't have standards.

11. antibinary

"Do you want to **** pans?"

12. I'm_Danni_x

When explaining my male self:
    'Oh so you're a tomboy then'
    Ughh this really peevs me off.
    AND
    ''You where born a female for a reason why would you want to change your 'gender'?''
    AND
    ''How do you know you're LGBT aren't you too young?'' No bitch how do you know you're straight aren't you too young?''
    I Can go on forever because the stupidity of some straight/cis People are endless.

What really irriates me is that some straight people don't want to sit near us lgbt because we might hit on them. Even when I was out as a lesbian some guys wouldn't even talk to me let alone sit near me. Ughh the irony of hurting the dominant male ego.

---------- Post added 18th Feb 2015 at 10:06 AM ----------

Gosh! I've heard that quite a lot around my school and I just laugh at their stupidity.

#32 I'm_Danni_x, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  13. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is the main reason why I don't want straight boys to know that I'm Gay...They see a Gay man, and they automatically think we want to sleep with them...Bullshit!

14. Nickinthemiddle

I have learned 'in real life' that LGBT places are not a perfect wonderland of acceptance. There's stereotypes and stigma in the LGBT community, too. I feel like I need to have an attitude still where I don't need straight acceptance and I don't need LGBT acceptance, either, to validate me. I need to validate myself, because if you let other people, straight or LGBT, bring you down, you'll never be secure. I wish I could bring my barriers down completely but I won't, because nobody's perfect and somebody's bad attitude can hurt too much.

15. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most of them are named already:

• People assuming one can't be gay because of the way he/she acts
    • People dismissing asexuality as something that is ALWAYS linked to depression*
    • People saying asexuals are just closeted gay people
    • People saying bisexuality doesn't exist
    • People saying gay people want to be the opposite sex
    • People saying being LGBT is a choice

* I've even heard that from LGBT people, sadly enough.

16. Blackbirdz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When guys want to have bareback sex and they don't even know their own HIV or Hepatitis status.

17. Pie

Pie Guest

Along the same lines: "A homosexual". I hate both. They feel too clinical, as if we had some terrible condition...

Also, when straight cisgender white males make comments such as "Who cares about discrimination?". OF COURSE you don't care, since you don't know what it feels like to be discriminated against! :bang:

18. Harjus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yesterday I got really mad when I was trying to talk to cispeople on some internet forum. We were talking about transpeople and should they be accepted. They just wondered why transpeople talk about acceptance so much when nobody can be 100% accepted in this life. It's clearly annoying too when people talk about how they are hated and discriminated. Yeah, so all discrimination is fine then because some white rich spoiled straight woman got "judged" because she wants to have a baby when she is 40 years old? Come on. I just left at that point. They seemed to have no idea what it's like. They seemed to live in some bubble.

Edit. I need to add a couple of these: :bang::bang::bang:

19. black-cat

• When the LGBTQ community don't accept each other, or think they are better than one or another for being more/less "gay", more/less out of the closet or more/less accepted.
    • Judging someone is/isn't LGBTQ by their looks or hobbies.

20. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sick of being told I'm "too young" to know my sexuality. I've already heard this several times, mostly from other people online. No one would be saying that if I said I was straight!