1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Perks of being Gay, Bi or lesbian?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by person57, Jul 28, 2013.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No need for birth control. There WILL NOT be any accidents.

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

I've yet to find any. That doesn't mean I think it's disadvantageous to be gay bi or lesbian, but I don't really see many perks either.

3. Praetor

I can perhaps empathize more with those of any gender since I don't feel I'm held back by a monosexual attraction?? I also feel comfortable doing things stereotypical to either end of the "traditional" dualistic view of sexuality - and thus I am comfortable being free of any stereotype altogether.

I have always felt a strong desire to see justice upheld for minorities in any given society, even before I admitted my sexuality to myself. So I guess my drive for creating a better world through equality and diversity is even stronger since I am part of a minority.

4. treeofleaves

being bi gives more option for people to be with. i never really cared about peoples sexuality anyway before i discovered mine, but i guess it gives you more of an open mind to who people are and who they want to be and why that is absolutely fine! :grin:

5. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I fail to see how any of those do not apply to straight people.

That's not a very healthy attitude to take. Sexual orientation doesn't affect intelligence. I can understand where you're coming from with more liberal though that's still playing with stereotypes, but smarter and better educated? That's verging on bigotry.

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think one good thing is that not being "normal" in any way makes you more sensitive and tolerant to others, as long as you accept yourself and realize the differences don't make you better or worse than others. Also, I think I'm much nicer to girls than many straight guys because I don't view them as sexual objects; though, there are many nice straight guys who are also just as emotionally mature.

7. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I think there is a correlation between being LGBTQ and being smarter/more liberal.

For example, in the last U.S. presidential election, heterosexuals split evenly 50-50 between Obama and Romney, but among LGB people 76% voted for Obama while only 23% voted for Romney. So LGB people are definitely more likely to make smarter decisions.

Perhaps people who go through the process of realizing they are LGBTQ are more likely to develop critical thinking skills, and also are shaped by their minority experience.

A child born to uneducated white conservative redneck parents in rural Mississippi will probably grow up to be an uneducated white conservative redneck in rural Mississippi. But if that child grows up to realize he is gay, he suddenly feels alienated from his own background and community, and is more likely to consider other backgrounds and points of view. Seeing himself suddenly as a minority, he is more likely to sympathize with the plight of other minorities, racial or ethnic, rather than simply be comfortable identifying with a privileged majority without even thinking about it. He is much more likely to have a progressive worldview and support liberal politics that respect the human rights of all.

His sexuality serves as an impetus to get out and see the world, to move to a big city to experience a more cosmopolitan environment where he will be accepted. Sexuality also serves as a motivation for gay youth to want to go away to university, to escape bigoted small-town life and be exposed to education and different points of view. The gay son becomes an accomplished fashion designer in New York City or college professor in Boston or actor in Los Angeles, while his brothers and sisters never leave the family farm.

This is just an example case, but I think people are underestimating the impact being LGBTQ can have on the trajectory of a person's life in matters far beyond who they have sex with.

8. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Obama's positions on gay issues are the most likely reason for the skew in votes. It's blatantly misleading to say that voting for Obama means you're smart. Why did 96% of blacks vote for Obama? Are only 4% of blacks not smart?

Your point about being gay and a minority is reasonable, but being a progressive or liberal does not make you any better or worse than a conservative. Moreover, staying on a farm is definitely not worse than being a designer or "professional" in a big city. Saying such things sounds like growing up in New York has made you pretty ignorant and elitist to rural people.

9. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

It's not that voting for Obama means one is smart; it's that voting for Romney is a likely indicator of stupidity and ignorance.

Though I find it demeaning to suggest that Obama's positions on "gay issues" are the only reason LGBTQ people voted overwhelmingly for him over Romney.

Liberalism, and left-wing politics more generally, are correlated with intelligence. Whereas the right-wing conservative worldview is rooted in small-mindedness.

Liberalism champions individual rights, including full equality for LGBTQ people, whereas if conservatives had had their way, it would still be illegal to even be gay, never mind marriage equality. So excuse me if I conclude that one of these worldviews is objectively superior and a sign of greater intelligence than the other.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for those involved in doing the vital work of farming and producing sustenance for the human population.

However that does not mean that the average provincial in a rural area is exposed to anywhere near the level of diversity of people and ideas that a well-educated city-dweller is.

In any event, that phrasing on my part was largely anachronistic anyway, since the 'family farm' is dead and hasn't existed for generations in the United States, replaced by corporate factory farms. However it was just an example.

The point is that a gay child born is far more likely to go out and explore the world and be exposed to diversity, rather than be comfortable staying in the trailer park they grew up in with a Confederate flag on their trailer.

10. June Cleaver

Recently I gave my husband a big block engine for our mud truck and he said a few things about this topic that surprised me. He told me that at 37 he is the happiest he has ever been because he has me for his wife-e-poo as he puts it. He also listed what he felt were the extra perks he never got with a cis-woman. I have no crazy hormones and am happy from sun up to sun down, I put out anytime he wants any day he wants, I give him the best BJ's anytime he wants (2 to 3 times a day is average for him) happily and don't gag or fuss about his cum but rather enjoy it which thrills him, I can fix things, I am also his best friend and don't nag him. He said a lot more, but the rest had to do with my role as the woman in our relationship and could apply to any traditional woman. His other women had never followed his dreams, but rather tried to change him to what they wanted.

So as others said sex, sex, sex, sex, no hormones, can relate to one another, best friends. That about sums it up! June

11. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Definitely learning to be more open minded. You see things from lots of different perspectives and honestly dealing with all the issues that I have I feel that I have developed a more open and worldly view rather than being contained because something isn't a societal norm. It helps you be more empathetic to people and their lives because you kinda don't see anything as being abnormal anymore. Especially when society alienates you because of who you are. You don't want to do that to anyone else.

12. enigmeow

I think being LGBT lets you live outside the box and that can be both the biggest plus and minus..

13. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow, Rakkaus. I consider myself a left-leaning moderate, but even I would say your claims sound pretentious and self-righteous. Again you keep implying the false analogy of liberal:intelligent::conservative:unintelligent, which is patently wrong. While championing equality is admirable, it is possible to be too forceful on just that issue over others. Also, you seem to be confusing social [Christian] conservatism as representing all conservatism, and I don't see how you expect a rational debate when being so inflammatory. You might check out the TED talk by Jonathan Haidt ("Moral roots of liberals and conservatives") to help identify some of your own biases and understand why conservatives do the things they do better.

Even when you claim to show respect for rural people, you use patronizing terms like "average provincial" for them while euphemistic terms like "well-educated city-dweller" for urban people. In fact, you probably consider yourself one of the latter... Don't use the excuse that family farms are dead (they are not!) and going into a populist rant about corporations to justify such ignorant language. Frankly, you are acting no better than those "small-minded conservatives" in using such stereotypes of trailer parks and Confederate flags.

14. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

The facts are what they are, I don't see any reason to keep pretending that both sides of the left-right divide are equally valid, and that people on both sides are equally intelligent. Conservatism is rooted in stupidity, ignorance, fear. And the research backs that up.

Bright Minds and Dark Attitudes

Gays are more likely to be liberal, and thus more likely to be intelligent compared to the general heterosexual population. QED

Family farms ARE dead, sorry. Corporate factory farms make up about 99% of American farming at this point.

If you prefer conservative rural life, that is your prerogative, my opinions are what they are. Some prefer rural life, some prefer urban life. I don't have any issue with rural people, but I do have a problem with the bigoted conservatism that tends to thrive in rural areas. (However even then there are exceptions; for example, in New England. Vermont and Western Massachusetts are very rural areas yet at the same time very progressive and tolerant societies.)

15. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You are not using QED (QEI is maybe more appropriate) correctly because the study by Hodson and Busseri do not directly test gays, their liberalism, nor their relative intelligence to conservatives. I spent the time reading the full article (here's one free version http://theconstitutionalistblog.com/wp-content/uploads/Dark-minds_Republican-thinking.pdf), and it is very interesting but not completely persuasive. They use terms for "right-wing ideologies" such as "social conservatism" and "right-wing authoritarianism" to define what they are looking for in terms of prejudice, which I think leads to a confirmation bias.

Moreover, the implicit association test (IAT), they use may be skewed because of problems with cognitive controls, as described by Siegel et al. ("Manipulating the role of cognitive control while taking the implicit association test" http://psy2.ucsd.edu/~dhuber/siegel_dougherty_huber.pdf).

In addition, other research, like the one below ("Ideology and Prejudice: The Role of Value Conflicts" by Chambers et al., 2012) have shown interesting and conflicting results:
    Ideology and Prejudice: The Role of Value Conflicts by John R. Chambers, Barry R. Schlenker, Brian Collisson :: SSRN

No, you are wrong that family farms are dead, but all your posts seem to indicate you are incapable of changing your preconceived notions. Here's what I found after doing a simple search on Google. It's true that large farms are the major producers in the US, but even they are often family owned.:

Family Farms

Also, you are making very bad and wide assumptions if you think that I "prefer conservative rural life" just because of I choose to challenge your views. It may be a shock to you, but some people can choose to defend positions that are not their own. You are fooling yourself by saying you don't have any prejudice against rural people. Your previous words speak for themselves, and I don't think even the New England rural people you list as exceptions would appreciate elitist terms like "provincial."

16. Lindsey23

I think it has made me more open minded. Honestly, if I wasn't gay I might be homophobic. I really don't know. If I was straight, with my background, I could have gone either way with my views on homosexuality. Also, if one of my kids is gay I know to react with love and acceptance. So that is a benefit to them. And no matter what they are I can teach them to accept others regardless of how they are different.