1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People who majored in fields that "doesn't guarantee employment", how are you doing now?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Nightlight, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really hate the idea of lying on a resume, but yeah this works for people. So much that one of my professors actually tells people if they can't find a job after graduating to put him down as a work experience reference and say they worked in his lab and he would confirm the lie if the employer called him to ask about it. He's apparently helped like 20 people find jobs that way.

It's pretty ridiculous that employers expect all new college graduates to have work experience right away. Especially in the pre-med world, people get screwed badly if they can't get into a medical professional school. They're extremely intelligent people but because they had to spend such an insane amount of time doing pre-med stuff and studying to get all A's to build a good application there's no time left to have a job during college. Then if they don't get accepted and try to find a job with their degree they get rejected for no work experience.

If someone can get A's in chemistry and biology then they're smart enough to learn on the job. They really don't need work experience. It's ridiculous to reject them just because they didn't have some random part-time job at McDonald's during college.

2. Nightlight

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've heard most of the things in my country as well, but they just didn't come up very often. I was expecting 2 answers. 1) Get a "practical degree" 2) Do what you love. As far as I remember from reading this thread, those two answers were given and I didn't expect "People skills matter" to come up. Here at where I live, #1,#2 were the most common ones. I think all of the answers apply to my country, which gives me something to think about.

Thanks for you input EC!

3. Nightlight

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    One more thing, it's hard to find an internet forum as civil and insightful as this one. Both English and Korean web combined. (Also I wouldn't be here if I was straight)