1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pc upgrades?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Wolfwing, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Wolfwing

I'm looking to upgrade my computer and I want to make it more oriented towards gaming. Though not sure if I should just build a new computer or upgrade my current one and with what?

Attached Files:

2. Lazuri

That doesn't say which GPU you have. I would almost definitely build a completely new PC, though. Looks like what you got there is one of the pre-built models and they're not made to be altered, so upgrades will very commonly not fit in the case or with the other components.

Build a new one; that way you know exactly what you've got.

3. Wolfwing

Alright, what parts would you recommend? My budget is around $450.

4. Haru

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ouch.. thats not much of a budget. I was going to recommend the Intel i7 7700K

5. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yech, that's not much for looking at a gaming rig. I agree that you probably just want to build a new pc. For cheaper parts, look at AMD rather than Intel, as it's a lot cheaper. Also, try getting white label hard drives instead of from a company, as those are usually cheaper. (White label drives are drives before being bought from a distributor and labeled by a company, hence the name white label.) Also, Google around for building guides that will tell you how to pick components, or for parts lists that are within your price range. Good luck!

6. FrogCAT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
  7. FrogCAT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Now that I think about it those builds aren't that great, this one is probably a bit better, https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8g6TTH

It's actually very similar to my own build, just with different RAM and CPU Heatsink, as well as a regular GTX 1050 SSC instead of the ti version. I can play a fair amount of games at medium-ish settings. I can actually run Fallout 4 at medium settings with no substantial drop in frames at all.

Edit: Oh, like the my previous comment, if you don't need a new HDD and or case, I'd replace the 1050 ti SSC with either this https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Jt7CmG/zotac-geforce-gtx-1060-3gb-mini-video-card-zt-p10610a-10l or this, https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Jt...60-3gb-mini-video-card-zt-p10610a-10l or this. The difference is minimal, but it doesn't hurt to have that little bit of extra speed.

#7 FrogCAT, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  8. jamescool

No don't take Athlon it is super old. Better go for the Pentium, it's almost as good as i3.

9. FrogCAT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Eh, I was gonna make a counter argument but you're probably right. Though the Pentium is only a dual core, while the X4 860K is a quad core. However now that I think about it, the 860K has no upgrade path. So yeah, the Pentium is the better option.

10. Lazuri

Most games these days prefer quad-cores and a fair amount of them outright requires them. Also, having a pre-built model, he definitely needs a new case. Those standard cases are extremely small and stuffy.

11. FrogCAT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think i've finally done it, https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yrWMYr, it's a little over budget at ~489$, unless you drop the hard drive, then the price comes in at ~441$, a little under budget. Though only if you count the Mail in rebates and don't count some of the shipping. The best part about the build itself is that it has plenty of room to upgrade. I would say it's one of the best -if not the best- budget build I've ever designed.