1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Passing with short hair

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by wouldbeElliot, Dec 2, 2023.

1. wouldbeElliot

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have been constantly bothered by my appearance for the past many months on end, and I don't know what to do about it.

Every time I see myself in a mirror or see a picture of myself I get flooded with self-hatred. I despise my square and masculine facial structure, and my narrow and small hips, and my horribly undercut hair. I have no way of getting makeup and hormones for a long while, I am completely lost on where to start with my hair. I've thought about dropping it and growing it out long like other trans people I have seen, but picturing myself with long hair, it just doesn't cut it for me. Short to medium-length hair has always suited me and had been my go-to in the past, and I still can't bring myself to imagine myself as looking even remotely pretty with anything longer.

I'm very scared of the possibility of it being impossible for me to pass with anything short in public, and I'm feeling as if having long hair were a prerequisite and a must for trans women wanting to blend in. I don't know what to do and I feel helpless. Is it even possible to have relatively short hair (and which type?) and pass simultaneously?

2. Chillton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm no expert but maybe you can try putting highlights in your hair and using hair spray to style it in a more feminine way. I had a female friend tell me once that there are as many short hairstyles as long ones. Although it takes more skill and longer to do. So you can look at it as a new skill to master. Also if you're worried about the lower half of your appearance, then you can do exercises like squats, lunges, and crunches to give shape to the areas you're concerned about. You can do squats in your room every time during a commercial break or whenever you get up to go to the bathroom or stand up to do something. Or get a bicycle and ride up hills and slopes.

Just take a breath and treat yourself with patience and kindness. Enjoy the journey to get to your destination. Developing a new style always takes time no matter what gender you are. focus on little changes and slowly they'll accrue and show results.

wouldbeElliot, Saskia96 and Rayland like this.
  3. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are many very attractive women with short hair. You just need to find the perfect style for you. I was told short hair don't suit me, but they were wrong. It makes me exactly the way I want to look like. Don't be afraid of going out of your comfort zone and try out different styles. There is no prerequisites. The most important part is that you are happy with yourself.

wouldbeElliot, Chillton and Saskia96 like this.
  4. Saskia96

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Like Rayland already said, there are many good-looking short feminine haircuts out there. I think theres a subreddit that only focuses on short hair on women, you can look through the posts and see if there is anything you like.

wouldbeElliot, Rayland and Chillton like this.
  5. wouldbeElliot

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you all for your helpful advice.
    I'll think about those highlights, they seem interesting. I don't know how well the spray will keep up with my dense hair, but I'll manage to 'master' it in the end, one way or another! thanks!
    Sadly I'm not able to change my skeletal structure and fat distribution without HRT, so that's my only way of achieving something (on the bright side, it's still better than doing nothing?).
    I notice now that I don't give myself enough compliments regarding the strides I have taken and what I have accomplished. Thank you Chillton!
    Thanks Rain. I'm happy for you. I'll do some searching about and see what fits me the best! If not through trial and error, I'll find it one day.
    I'll definitely have a look at that Saskia. Thanks for the inspirations!

Saskia96, Chillton and Rayland like this.