1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Partner" vs. "Husband/Wife"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Envira, Mar 27, 2014.

1. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Partner now. I think we graduated beyond boyfriend a while ago. When we get married I'll say husband.

2. Incognito10

I actually am married to my "partner." We often refer to each other as "spouse" in introductions. I like spouse because it really doesn't imply a gender and for some reason it just "feels" right. It implies we're married and that is what is important. There are, however, instances in which we will call each other "husband." Some people might view certain gender-specific terms in different perspectives. Ultimatley, I have no strong view and think people should decide what feels right for them.

3. Foxface

Though I am bi I am in a hetero marriage and I still use partner because well, that's what she is. Everything we do we do together and on equal ground

HOWEVER...I will not tell others not to use wife/husband

4. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Huh, are we still living in the 80s? I don't see using partner as being that much different than room mate, and will go with girlfriend/boyfriend any time.

5. Envira

I mean, I'm really open to anyone using any terms that they're comfortable with, and I understand that there are lots of situations in which other terms can't be used. I just feel like partner is too... idk.

6. Theron

I use partner interchangeably with bf/fiance.

For the most part he was my boyfriend and for the most part he is my fiance. When we get married, for the most part he will be my husband.

7. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate the heterosexual terms "husband" and "wife" and wish heterosexuals would stop using them. To husband something is to take care of it, to control it appropriately for its own good and the good of all; "wife" simply means "woman", but in the possessive sense...as in property, which is the origin of the marriage concept.

Both terms are creepy. I don't require husbanding; I can take care of myself. And nobody owns me, including my partner of nearly 28 years. These facts *should* be true of every woman...though some have given me reason to doubt.

My partner and I, on the other hand, are partners in every sense of the word. She's a hell of a lot more than girlfriend, which implies a sort of light, romantic attachment. We share one another's lives, help one another, we make decisions jointly for the good of both of us, with each bringing unique strengths and outlooks to any given situation. We're a rockin' unit made of two individual partners.

I'm sorry if some of you don't like the word...but suggest one that is more descriptive, and I'll consider it.

#27 biAnnika, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  8. ThePhoenix

I've never liked that term but there are reasons people use the term so I'm not gonna say much against it but it does seem a bit impersonal.

9. Foxface

Frankly I find husband and wife less personal. It's archaic IMO and has this idea of ownership in it

To me, partner is saying I love her, she loves me and we are equals.

10. darklord

I'd strongly prefer partner, whether I'd be with a guy or a girl. As others have pointed out, it being gender neutral word can be a big plus for some of us... Also, it most accurately describes the kind of relationship that I have and want to have. We are first of all partners, two equal individuals who are best friends and who love each others and want to share our lives and dreams together.

11. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like the word "partner" because then you can't tell if we're dating or if we're in a buddy cop movie.

12. justjade

This is just my personal preference, but I like the word "partner" better. It just seems to me that it carries more of a connotation of two people working together and sharing responsibilities equally than "husband/wife".

However, I still call my husband my husband. I have to break myself of the habit of calling him that because, even though we're married, we work together on everything. And, well, I'm a guy now. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. Incognito10

I love that there is so much diversity in how people view terms :slight_smile:

It just goes to show some terms that carry negative connotations to some and for others they can be very positive!

14. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I find it even more surprising when a 50 year old woman who is actually legally and religiously married (full catholic church ceremony thing, house, now adult kids, etc...) to her husband but still refer to him as "mon chum" (my boyfriend), same for the reverse "ma blonde" (my girl, my girlfriend) - goes to show how strong the post 60s backlash against organized religion is still prevalent in common language there.

15. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll also add to my statement above that if I am ever again in a dating phase, I would not hesitate to use "girlfriend" or "boyfriend" (depending on circumstances). At that point I would not deem "partner" appropriate...but if we got to the point of living together and sharing responsibilities, absolutely.

And on the flipside (predictably, given my statement above), even if it was legal for women to be legally married where we are, we would not refer to one another as wives. That is just a poor descriptor for the bond we share and the relationship we have with one another.

16. PalestrinaMX

It's too formal for me. I don't mind others using it, though.

17. The term "partner" makes my future bf sound like a business coworker. I would refer to him as my bf, my husband if we get married, or I might be like Neil Patrick Harris and refer to him as my "better half."

18. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'd call my girlfriend my girlfriend not partner

19. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I use "girlfriend" and "partner" interchangeably. Doesn't matter to me; they both hold the same connotation.