1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents... how did they react??

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by KaotikPrincess, Jul 29, 2011.

1. sometimesbetter

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    And support is all that matters, no matter where you get it from. It just sucks it's not completely from your parents (if I ever had to deal with it, I'd be severely depressed), but it's coming from somewhere. Where we don't achieve benefit, we reconstruct and achieve it from somewhere else.

2. breakingboxes

Sometimes,
    I agree... all you can ask for is support... and i have it. :slight_smile:
    Thank you for listening and replying.
    hugs

3. Azza

Mum said she loved me, Dad said he loved me. Next day mum thought I was confused, Dad thought I was confused. Then they both went in to denial and I haven't brought it up with them since Mum said she never wanted me to bring a guy home and that "she didn't like the idea of it" and that "she was p****d off", no point. :slight_smile:

4. person54

My mom and dad were in disbelief. Then over the next few days they harassed me a bunch with mean phone calls until limited contact with them.

Now they say they still love me but they also don't support me trying to transition. So I don't know what to make of that.

But on the upside the trans issue was such a door in the face that they never even cared about the bisexuality thing!

5. LdSlnce

LdSlnce Guest

Keep in mind that I am no longer "out" to them anymore...I booked it back to the closet.

This is how it went:

Mom- There was a lot of yelling, much denial, didn't want to see the family. Here are some quotes: "It's a phase, every girl goes through this", "You can't give into Satan. He wants you to think you are", "You need to fight the feelings, ignore them."

Dad- He told me that I'm not. Really, he did!

They're both Christians, so it goes against what they believe. And I understand that, but I didn't choose it. But they both believe it's a choice so...I gave in and said that it was a phase even though I know it isn't. This was 2 years ago when I though I was bi (I was still in denial). I'd hate to think what would happen if I told them that I am definitely lesbian. Scary thought...

6. sometimesbetter

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sounded like mine, until I forced them say that I was gay and that they had to be happy/accepting no matter what. I wouldn't let this subject drop until they accepted it. And they did (well, as much as anyone would in the past three days). It's always a growing process with this. It'll definitely take some time. TRUST ME. Mine are probably not gonna be accepting until the day I die, but as long as they're gonna be somewhat happy, yeah?

7. LdSlnce

LdSlnce Guest

I'm slowly planning my way of coming out for real this time. And I will not back down. I'm not gonna run back to the closet that is quickly becoming suffocating.

That's good you didn't drop it...I wouldn't be able to do that, but it's a good way to get your message across. I have no doubt that it's going to take a lot of time for them to accept it. The first time was "easy" because I thought I was bi at the time (I was still in denial) and I "had the option" of just being with guys. But now they aren't so lucky because being with guys is not appealing in the least. And you have a good point. Thanks for the encouragement

8. sometimesbetter

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just keep your mind strong! And remember: There are plenty of times to say what you have to say. You don't necessarily have to say it now. You got your whole life to say it.

9. Weswi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mother wasn't really surprised she just said: I already had this feeling but I thought it would be rather awkward to ask you if you're gay.

And my father used to make a lot of homophobic comments so i didn't really looked forward to tell him. but after I did tell him, I never heard anything like that again, although he still usually makes stereotypical remarks...

10. here is no why

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Came out to mine a month ago.. I had to check because it feels like longer.

I brought my BF home, but just referred to him as "my friend" lol. However my mam knew that he was my BF as i discovered later on..
    My mam reacted pretty bad immediately but she was just in shock.
    She told my dad that night, while i stayed in my BF's.

When i talked to my dad he was angry, called it a phase,fad etc and asked why i would tell my mam and that i shouldnt tell people cause it'll ruin my life *rollseyes*

So the next day, i talked to my mom, she said she always had a feeling i was but because im "straight acting" she wasnt sure, and made it harder to come to terms with. But overall she was cool with it, but didnt want any "sleepovers" lol (probably more to avoid my 10 year old bro asking q's).

My dad took a while, didnt talk to me for a week or so, only once or twice via txt, once where he said he "couldnt reconcile" it. According to my mom he also wanted me to get blood tests to test for STD's etc, and he believed that i slept around loads with both sexes (couldnt be further from the truth)

But my mam said to give him time. Now he acts as though i never said anything and we're like how we used to be, and havent discussed it since, so im not sure where his head is at the moment regarding it.

My mom seems okay, occasionally seems a bit quiet when i mention my BF, but i guess theyre still adjusting.

11. Pj2012

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When I was in high school my mother started asking me if I was gay and I was in complete denial. I thought it was just a phase but as I got older my sexual attraction to men became stronger and stronger and in college I finally felt comfortable and told her I was gay when she asked. I was sick of her asking lol, but the funny thing is when I told her she said "thats too bad" and has been refusing to accept that her only child is gay. Before her excuse was that I'm just a horny teenager, but I knew that was'nt the case. But everything is different now. She's met 2 love interests of mines and seems more open about it. I'm just a little nervous about telling my grandparents, since I'm their only grandchild.

12. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My mom was giving my sister and I gifts because we both got good grades so I asked for one gift: for her to not hate me. She was like uhhh ok? I gave her a note telling her I'm gay and then ran away. She wrote me a note back saying she loves me no matter what and she already suspected. She said she didn't necessarily like it because she knows my life will be harder. Now 7 years later, we are doing well. She never treated me differently because I'm gay. She watches Pretty Little Liars and Glee with me if that says anything. During PLL she will say which girls she thinks are right/wrong for the lesbian character.

She has stopped giving to Salvation Army and doesn't eat at Chik fil a because I asked her not to.

13. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

Horribly and awkwardly. My Dad is fine with it and lets me know that from time to time. My Mom is not and she really lets it show.

14. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    When I told my mother she told me that it was a confusing time and that I had plenty of time to discover myself. BUT what she didn't realize at the time is that I was coming out to her and not just telling her that I'm feeling confuzzed but I was actually telling her that I'm bisexual.