1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panic attacks

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GayJay, Oct 2, 2012.

1. GayJay

Yeah so everything has just been getting kinda on top of me at the moment. Like trying to transition but working around my family and stuff, I started college and they've been calling my birth name out on the register. Of couse they would they know nothing about it but its emmbarrasing and I've introduced myself to all my friends as Jay then the teachers saying something else.
    Thinking I might have to come out as trans in college but don't know I feel compleatly ready to yet...
    Anyway I've been getting panic attacks quite frequently and its stopping me concentrating on things like college work. Was wondering if anyone else has had a simular problem or knows of anything that can help? Any comments appreciated.

2. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

Yes, I have/have had panic disorder. Panic attacks suck. I can also see why you would be getting them in your situation because I tend to get them in situations where I feel like "I don't exist", if you understand what I mean.

The way I keep them under control/lessen their severity is by eating regular, healthy meals, drinking lots of water, getting exercise and getting enough sleep every single night. There are also breathing exercises you can learn to do that help keep your breath under control, as well as positive affirmations you can say to yourself in situations that provoke your anxiety.

I would recommend a book called "The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook". It's given me lots of ideas on how to regulate my anxiety. It's a LOT of work, but I figure it beats the alternative.

3. GayJay

Oh thanks, ill have a look for that book.
    Thanks for the tips too, think i do most of these things now execpt sleep. Will have to try get more sleep and see if that helps :slight_smile:

4. For what it's worth I'm right there with you as far as the anxiety/panic attack thing goes.

I myself have just reached the point in life that I am facing the fact that I'm gay and I want to come out. I'm just freaking out about how that is going to effect my work and family life. It's like I've been suppressing all these feelings for so long and now it's all coming to the surface at once. I've had anxiety for years but now it's in overdrive.

Exercise helps me a lot. If you're extra panicky, then work out extra. I've found that having conversations with people, even if its not about what's bothering you, can be therapeutic. Potentially see a therapist and talk directly about what you are going through. You might also see a doctor and maybe get a short term prescription for an anxiety medication until you get over this. All the other things already mentioned are very important as well. I might look into that book myself.

Or you can do it the wrong way like me and hit the bottle, but I would definitely recommend you not go down that road.:eusa_naug

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with college and everything else you are facing. ♥