1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panic attack?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Closed book, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Closed book

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Not exactly sure which category this would come under. I think I just had a panic attack but I'm not sure. So today when I was on the bath I started thinking about coming out to my best friend (which I plan to do within the next month) and my mind being optimistic imagined her freaking out on me, hating me, and telling me to leave her house. After thinking this my breathing started to quicken and I ended up hyperventilating and I couldn't stop moving around and I grabbed onto those handle things on the sides of baths. Was this a panic attack? And this leads onto my next problem.
    This is the first time this has happened and tomorrow I'm going on a 10 night scout camp with 1500-5000 people (I forget the exact number) and it'll be almost impossible to hide if this occurs again, plus afore mentioned best friend will be there and she'd surely notice if I started acting any different, so what can I do to prevent this from happening (or is this something that wouldn't normally occur?)
    Thanks for reading about my problems

2. Deinna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You probably had a panic attack :slight_smile: I had one myself this year while taking a test at school, and it was pretty similar to what you described.

You should probably avoid thinking any topics, which you think would set off a panic attack. Try focusing on all kinds of other things :slight_smile: But if you're starting to have one, try to calm yourself and take deep breaths. Talking to someone about some random topic might help too.
    You can always ask help in these kind of things, it's nothing to be ashamed of :slight_smile: You don't have to tell the reason why you're having a panic attack, if you don't want.

Hopefully I was able to help you at least a bit :slight_smile: Everything is going to be okay, whatever happens(*hug*)

#2 Deinna, Jul 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  3. thepandaboss

That definitely sounds a lot like a panic attack to me, at least speaking from personal experience. What I'd recommend is seeing if you can maybe talk to a counselor or your doctor to find out ways you can manage them if and when they happen again. Breathing exercises can help too.

4. Closed book

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks, I'll try the breathing thing if it happens again and I might text the one friend who I'm out to about it, thank you both so much for the advice :grin: