1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Over-thinking because of LGBTIQA stuff in the Australian news

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by EvaDream, Oct 18, 2018.

1. EvaDream

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I live in Australia. I'm in my thirties. I'm gay and I'm out. Because of stuff going on in the news right now to do with religious schools and LGBTIQA rights, I keep obssessing and ruminating over the ideas involved. I'm not even sure why I care so much. I'm not a student or teacher at a religious school!

At first I wasn't sure exactly where I stood. Now I think I've figured it out for myself, but I can't stop thinking the same thoughts over and over. I keep having the same imaginary conversation in my head where I make my point to some invisible other person. How do you 'switch off'?

I don't have many LGBTIQA friends. I've tried to make some but, at present, only have queer 'aquaintances', really. I think this is relevant because I only have 'me' to talk to (in a way). I've tried talking about it with people I know and they actually agree. But it's theoretical for them. They aren't as stressed about the outcome.

I got a little like this last year when there was the lead up to the Same Sex Marriage survey. It passed when it was over. I also learnt to practice some self-care around knowing when and when not to go online. But I don't seem to be doing that this time.

What do you do to 'detach' from ongoing stressful LGBTIQA stuff in the news?