1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outing politicians.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SupremeEmperor, Feb 19, 2013.

1. TeddyJavier

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    To me what's worse than someone saying "gay is not okay" and actually being gay, is a person who is active in the gay community, an ally, an activist saying he isn't gay when he actually is. That is way worse. It happens with celebrities and I get that it is for their careers, but it sends a horrible message.

2. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "So, mr President, when you and the first lady get it on, what IS your favourite position? It might be in the vital interest of all Americans to know!" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Personally, I do believe that in the end, outing people is not a valid tactic. Yeah, there's the temptation of poetic justice, and it would probably be the easy path to ruining a bigot, but... in the end, it is still using sexuality as a weapon against something. It is throwing someone to a pack of homophobic wolves.

And I don't think you can both want to eliminate homophobia, while still using it as a tool when it suits you. Be the change you want to see in the world!

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly right, it is ultimately not in the best interest of the LGBT community to take this tactic.

Montreal is now one of the most gay-friendly cities in North America, it was achieved through the political process and it was a cultural change that was won each and every day by the personal integrity and courage of each and every member of this community.

4. TheUglyBarnacle

Maybe they're not out to themselves yet or they are too afraid to come out. I'm very vocal about LGBTQ rights, to the point where it annoys some people, but I have little desire to disclose the fact that I'm questioning when not asked (and sometimes even when asked I will maintain that I am straight).
    It's frightening and not being sure just makes it worse. I think people should come out when they feel comfortable with it.
    BTW, do you have any specific celebrities in mind? I can't think of any that would fit the bill.

5. LiquidSwords

Yeah, this, perfectly put.

6. J Snow

I personally support outing politicians because closeting politicians tend to vote against our rights but once they are outed they flip flop and start voting for us. Generally a politician leading a double life doesn't allow them to make genuine decisions and when it's somebody with power over our society it's for the greater good to out them. I recommend the documentary called outrage on Netflix.