1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Osama Bin Laden is dead

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Martin, May 1, 2011.

1. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

For people who say he isn't human, isn't what he did what people did in the past, when they had war?

2. Dykezz

The sun of a b#@?! had it coming. I'm glad he is gone.

3. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So, I can see why people may be happy that's he's dead but, I must concur with what others have said that, it's unsavoury to be celebrating it. I know that Al Qaeda were behind the 9/11 attacks and the friends and families of the many victims from that terrible incident will feel a bit more closure for Bin Laden's demise; I myself knew a man and his 6-year-old son who were on the second plane that crashed, I miss them both dearly, but I don't feel overly joyous that Al Qaeda's leader's been murdered.

There will be serious repercussions from his terrorist group, just because he's gone doesn't mean that it's the end of their work; someone else will step up to take his place and numerous plans are probably being schemed, as we speak, to get revenge.

I must add though, since I've not read it in this thread (but I may have missed it of course), that the US army group went in with the intention to arrest him, not kill him, but he refused to cooperate. So I can see the logic in ending his life, somewhat. Moreover, I can see more logic in burying him at sea, since that means there's no physical grave for people to visit and he becomes less of a martyr for those who admired him.

I'm just adding my ponderings to the thread, I don't wish to get into massive debate over what's right and wrong because this is a huge moral and ethical battlefield.

4. 507bro

it took us 10 years to find him, and I wonder how much
    money we spent trying to find him.

5. Flyers2011

I can't believe he's finally dead.

RIP soldiers killed in the war, the victims of 9/11, and anyone else he may have cause to die with his actions.

6. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

And wasn't that also disgusting and inhuman?

7. Meropspusillus

I copy-pasted this from a friend's status, but I feel it accurately reflects what I feel:
    I can't really articulate how I feel about the celebration of someone's death, even if that person was responsible for the death of countless others. I hope that his death brings closure for those affected, I hope our soldiers are safe, but most of all I hope that this gives us an opportunity to move towards a future where all human lives are valued and cherished.

8. Melissa

I know how this is going to sound, but I’m going to say it anyway.

I kinda find it funny that some of those who are saying they don't believe his death is something to celebrate don't live here in America. And for those that do live here, I guess I'm just not as forgiving as you. Yes, I get that the whole eye for an eye concept is bad. Of course. Violence is a horrible cycle. And yet, those images/stories from 9/11 will forever haunt many people, including myself. Over and over and over the news showed those videos and pictures. The towers collapsing, the fire, the smoke, those on the ground running, screaming, the video of people jumping from the highest floors of the towers, the panic, the shock, the tears… Try to imagine how those on the plane, trying to send what would be their last messages to the ones they love, felt at the end of their lives. The firefighters, the police, who lost their lives trying to get people out of the towers. The bones they found on nearby buildings months, even years after 9/11. The overwhelming sadness at the memorial site at Ground Zero.

Then on top of that. The videos from the Middle East. People in the streets burning the American flag, praising Bid Laden as a hero, cheering for the pain they put a nation through. Unacceptable.

No, that creature deserved to be torn from this world. We have enough problems. Yesterday’s news is not simply that a sadistic, misguided (as one of you said), terrorist (or freedom fighter if you so believe) has been killed. It is much more. It is at least a small blow to the sick ideals he stood for and promoted throughout the world.

#88 Melissa, May 2, 2011
    Last edited: May 2, 2011
  9. Emberstone

You forfit your claim to 'humanity' as a human being the moment you commit or lead the commiting of a act of terrorisem against innocent lives. He ceased to be a human being when he bombed the WTC in 1993, the embassy in kenya in 1998, uss cole in 2000, 9/11, indoensian resort bombings in 2002, the madrid train bombing, the london transit bombing in 2005, and every terrorist attack the group he created has commited that I forgot to list.

He was not a human being. He had no humanity.

I refuse to feel sorry for him, because he never had any remorse for the men, women, and children he had massacured.

He is, as silly as it sounds, the closest we will get to a real life voldemort in our modern generation. He killed for pleasure, to promote a radical, racist, xenophobic, hatefilled agenda.

He is my generations Hitler. You don't mourn monsters.

10. British Lad

British Lad Guest

I know this sounds daft but would it have been easier/cheaper to have nuked the place were al-qaeda are, if the blast don't get them the radiation will.

11. Meropspusillus

You can't forfeit humanity. Yes, he deserved death a billion times over, but we still all have to realize: he was human. He committed incredible evil, and he deserved death as much as it is possible to deserve death, but he was human.

#91 Meropspusillus, May 2, 2011
    Last edited: May 2, 2011
  12. RaRa

Now don't get me wrong...I'm on your side here....I just like seeing this from different angles.

13. Holliepop

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The radiation would have also got to many surrounding towns and villages and would effect many innocent civillians. Not to mention, the compound was right next to a Pakistani millitary training camp.

I'm going to celebrate the fact that he won't hurt anyone or corrupt anyone anymore, I'm not going to celebrate his death.

I can't ever wish anyone dead. So, *shrug*

14. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My thoughts exactly.

15. Emberstone

excussyou, your current avatar makes me want to kiss you with tongue.

16. biangel

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree. I will rejoice that other people can no longer be hurt by him, but I can't take part in the celebration of his death. He did terrible things, but elation over killing him is just too close to being him in my mind. I'm all for protecting the freedoms and lives of innocents, but revenge is a monster that will eat one up from within. It hurts too many equally innocent people. Think of how many families have been hurt and torn apart over this war already. It's a tragedy whether we think it was necessary or not. I believe today should be a day of quiet mourning for having to do something so terrible in order to prevent worse from happening.

---------- Post added 2nd May 2011 at 05:52 PM ----------

I'd also recommend reading Love is the Higher Law by David Levithan. It's a great book about 9/11 and how healing comes from loving in the face of tragedy rather than hating. It also has two gay main characters, which is one of the few y/a books I've come across that isn't the typical boy-girl romance.

17. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

So, the day before Osama was killed, Seth Meyer made a joke about Osama at the White House Correspondents Dinner...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owOmMJqcCkI[/YOUTUBE]

18. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Evil people deserve to die. I'm sorry, what do you people expect to happen to him?

19. biangel

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just because he deserved to die doesn't make his death a good thing. Do something necessary doesn't make it something to be relished and enjoyed either.

20. aidan

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTlwkg25rsE[/YOUTUBE]​