1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinion on your name

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Lacybi, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hated my name growing up. Being a gender neutral name is soooo nice as a trans person.

2. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What about...
    Matthew (I'm biased because that's my best friend's name)
    Malcolm
    Michael
    Morgan
    Martin
    Mitchell
    Milo
    Miles

---------- Post added 1st Apr 2016 at 04:33 PM ----------

I'm the opposite - my birth name is olivia and I'm thinking about going for Alexander (Lex for short because I'm not an A person really). I like your names :slight_smile:

3. AngelDragonfly

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really like Leslie. It's a great name and it's beautiful. Take it while it's still available.
    It's just really soft and flowing while still having the connotation of making me feel happy. Ok that was weird but it was honest. Ace I don't like. Sounds too harsh, and makes me think of bandages. Again, brutally honest. Best of luck to you!

4. Fairybread

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks! My parents actually helped pick mine - i gave them a list of names I liked, my mother always wanted an Olivia, thus she liked Oliver. My dad liked Thomas, as that was his grandfathers name. James is my choosing, and it just seemed to fit. It even, coinedentally, has the same number of syllables as my birth name (Lauren Elizabeth).

Hmm, two syllable m names..
    Marcus
    Matthew
    Miles
    Mitchell
    Michael
    Merrin
    Martin
    Merlin (if you wanna get a bit different)

That's all I can think of right now!

Fair enough! That sounds like a good name :slight_smile: have you thought of a middle name? And thanks :slight_smile:

5. StarlessSky

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My birth name is Amy. However, I really want to ask my counsellor and maybe a teacher to two to call me Skye. I really like Skye Rhys, however am unsure if it would suit me and am too shy to ask anyone IRL...

6. Systems

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also (legally) have a gender neutral name. Growing up, it was torture. It felt like my name was taunting me for being unlucky enough to not be able to transition.

I'm on the fence about keeping it or not. I have so many terrible memories of my childhood and my name reminds me of that. Sometimes I really like the name, but today it feels wrong. For months I've been going by a feminine derivation of my birth name, which I prefer, but I'm not sure it's for me.

I'd share the names, but I have privacy concerns.

7. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Fair enough! That sounds like a good name :slight_smile: have you thought of a middle name? And thanks :slight_smile:[/QUOTE]

I'm sticking with my actual middle name - Hope. It's actually gende neutral although it's used for mostly girls now.

8. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @Lacybi and @Fairybread:

Thank you so much for the middle name suggestions! I will try them out and see if something fits :slight_smile:

9. weirdkid128

I'm thinking of Alistair. My parents wanted to name me Eric Lee if I had been biologically a boy. So those are my middle names.

10. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello. I see people on here asking about middle names. I don't want to change my middle name because it's my grandmothers name who passed away from cancer, but it's feminine. My middle name is Marie. I don't want people to think of my middle name, because of its femininity, but it has lots of meaning. So maybe I can have two middle names? I don't want it to be long though. Like "Niko ___ Marie L_____". I don't know what middle name to use other than that though. Should I add in another name?

11. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whoa, that flows really nicely!

12. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Quick update on my name: Lex, yes or no? It's short for Alexander and my middle name is Hope. I'm stuck between Lex and Seth. Opinions?

13. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went with Vanessa because I liked how unique it sounded and it's the farthest thing from a male name I could think of. Hasn't stopped people from "slipping" male pronouns who knew me before I came out, but it was an attempt. :\

14. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like the name Vanessa! Does anyone call you have any shortened versions of Vanessa? Nessa or Nessie or anything? (I've got a fondness for shortened versions of names) Also, I love your hat and lipstick!

#54 Lacybi, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  15. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I typically get called Nessa, V, Van (by jerks who try to "male" it up), and Fox. Sinopáá means Little Fox in Blackfeet, so those that are real close to me call me that. And thanks for the compliment. ^_^

16. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello. Lex seems like a good name :slight_smile:. Just to let you know, it sounds close to Lexi, which is usually deemed feminine. I like Lex better than Seth :slight_smile:.

17. Determination

My chosen name is Avi. As I said in a previous post, I originally was going to choose Avidan, but after looking at the meaning, I saw that it's a deeply religious Jewish name meaning "God is Just". Being that I'm an atheist and was never even raised Jewish, I knew it wouldn't apply to me at all. So I started hunting down the meaning of the shortened name Avi. In Indian it means "The sun and air", which I feel is a much more secular meaning for me. In Morracan cultures its a prefix meant to denote many different things depending on what suffix or middle name you add to it, i.e. familial relation or status, physical or personal attributes etc. For that reason I'm still on the market to find a suitable hyphenated name to add to Avi to add meaning to it; some of them I have in mind being:

Avi-Roy ("Of the color red/Of royalty/The sun and air are king")
    Avi-Nash ("Of the ash tree/Of adventure")
    Avi-Chai ("Of life/The sun and air are life")
    Avi-Dante ("Of endurance/The sun and air endure")
    Avi-Kai ("Of strength/The sun and air are unbreakable")
    Avi-Sage ("Of wisdom")

By itself, I think Avi suits me much better than my birth name, which I've honestly wanted to change since middle school/high school. Don't get me wrong, my birth name is pretty, but it just never felt quite like MY name...just something that was slapped on me with me having no say in the matter. On top of that I never liked how my first and last name sounded together, I remember sitting in my high school classes and scribbling my name on my schoolwork and thinking "there's no way I can go by this name forever, it just looks so wrong."

18. OhkamiKitsune

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    This is something that's been on my mind a lot recently... I don't even know what I want to be called, other than knowing I don't like my birth name (never have really). My birth name is gender neutral so I could go all the way through transition and not change it, but I still associate it with the male part of my life... I've been thinking Aoife (ee-fa) sounds nice but its kind of exotic for someone in the middle of America... I was also thinking something that starts with J would be easier since people generally just call me "J" or "JJ" anyways.

And for the OP, I think Alex is a good name, majestic.

19. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm thinking of using Lex now but thanks!
    If you want to be called Aoife then go for it! Just so you're warned, anyone who's not Irish is gonna misprounce it all the time.

20. Punch Them

I like Avi-Roy and Avi-Kai, they sound nice to me, and their meanings are also really great so that's a plus !

I've been going by Léo online for 2 years now. I saw it in a book one day and went "Of course ! Why haven't I thought of that one before ! I want that name !" I just love how it sounds.
    Before that, I thought about Ed/Eddy, because it's close to my birthname, but it's not really a preference anymore. It was more like a place-holder before I could think of a better name.
    I also considered Sacha, because it's androgynous, and because it's Ash Ketchum's name in French (and when I was a kid I always wanted to be him).

For middle names, I don't know if you can add a middle name during an official name change if you didn't have a middle name before ? If it's possible, then I might choose Zacharie. My parents gave my sisters and I names that all end in -ie, so I wanted to have at least a middle name that ends in -ie too, this way we can still kind of match !

#60 Punch Them, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016