1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open Marriage for the LGBTQ spouse

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by weary, Jan 14, 2019.

1. smurf

Yeah, this is huge. Seems like he never healed his own wounds and didn't learn how to trust again. It also seems that he replaced trust with controlling behavior like not "allowing" you to go to this meet up.

With this level of trauma and lack of self awareness from him, I would really caution you to be in a open relationship until he improves.

This is one of my favorite articles about how to open up a relationship which I think you might enjoy reading. One of the hardest lessons about non-monogamy is that we don't own our partners.

2. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow! I can relate to this, but sort of on the other side. I think you describe how my wife feels about our intimacy. I do think it is really difficult for couples to maintain the lust after so many years.

In my case, I haven't lost it.
    This is an excellent article. I'm going through this now as my wife retires. We used to have two, pretty separate, lives. Two houses two careers etc. I never had to "check in". Don't get me wrong, we spend more quality time together than any couple I know since we are both addicted to skiing, mountain biking, kitesurfing....

But, now my wife is ALWAYS with me and it makes the open relationship more of an issue. It almost seems like I ask permission now to see a friend.

The thing about open relationships is that they need to evolve with changing situations. I'm going to plan boy weekends with my friends that are completely mine.

One thing about my situation is my wife wants to meet my friends and I want her to know about them. So, we do activities that include my wife. She's going to teach my new friend how to ski for example. I don't know if this is a good idea or not.

3. weary

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think it would depend where her need/request to meet your friends comes from. Is it purely out of wanting to be a part of that part of you, or does it stem from a jealousy or control issue?
    Before marriage and while still in denial, I had open relationships and fwb situations. I can't stress enough how important communication is in every relationship. With that there also has to be a trust factor. If either is missing or falsely given, issues will most definitely arise. Have you spoken with your wife about her wanting to meet all of your friends and to be included in the activities? Where do you think it comes from?

Part of the book mentioned above right off is
    "Or what about the couple that never fights, always shares each other’s hobbies, and becomes friends with the other person’s friends… so that they share all hobbies and friends… all the time… always together… never apart unless work forces them apart."

#23 weary, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  4. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Actually, I'm the one who wants my wife to share time with my boyfriends. Because there will be overlap in our schedules such as a boyfriend needing to stay in our guest house (we have a guest cottage above a garage in the house in the mountains). My last boyfriend and I climbed peaks and would need to get an early start...My wife also relates well to the younger guys I hang out with. I know this all sounds pretty weird and is very untraditional.... I have young boyfriends that I rock climb and canyoneer with that I sleep with who hang around the house...I'm trying to play matchmaker now with two of them because they would be so good together...My wife and I are very committed. But, I think what is often missed is that we define that relationships must follow a particular path. That there is a set behavior in relationships that is required for long term success. That even the way we express intimacy must have guidelines and rules. I just don't subscribe to this thinking because I see relationships fail all the time when they try to meet the societal defined metrics and I question the validity of our traditional monogamous society.

This is why honesty and communication rule.

5. weary

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    @Nickw I guess my comment was more geared towards the statement quoted here. We all need our own personal space time. It seems the way I read it, that things are changing in your relationship. My intent was to help you look at your statement and feelings objectively to see what may be causing this new feeling.

6. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah. I sorta want to have my cake and eat it too. Or, in my case "have my Jake and Edith too"

Thanks for pointing out this discrepancy. I think the main thing is that I had SO much freedom that including my wife in my relationships was not a big deal. She just needed to know the guys and then I had plenty of time to myself with them without having to consider her schedule much. Now, she is scheduling "our time" pretty rigorously and that will need to stop. Thing is, when she likes my friends she is more apt to encourage me to spend time with them.

I also need to be aware of my male friends time and energy. I'm an active guy and so are my friends and so is my wife. If there is a big powder day I'm not going to say to my friend "I'm skiing with my wife". I'm going to say "spend the night in the guest house so we all get an earlier start". I know....strange.

7. Lgbtqpride

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Does your wife have sex with anyone else other than you?

8. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No. She no longer is interested in sex since menopause. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have an open marriage.

9. Lgbtqpride

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You seems like gay and not bisexual.You only have boyfriends outside, not girlfriends.

10. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well. Relationships are not just about sex are they? I am sexually and romantically attracted to my wife and we still have a sex life. Just not as robust as I desire. Maybe once a month. We date each other, we dance, we hold each other's hands, I massage her, we kiss several times a day. We remain in love.

The other thing is that "I" feel a different with men than I do with women. I won't go into this right now because guys that are on the high end of the Kinsey Scale (more gay) don't like this and it has caused some sensitive discussions. Short version is that I can feel different things for different people and express them in different ways.

Voltaire7, weary and Forlong like this.
  11. Lgbtqpride

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So you are like 90% into man and 10% into woman.You do not find any other woman attractive or fall in love with any other woman other than your wife.

12. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't put myself in situations where I will "fall in love" with anyone else but my wife.

And, I'm probably more into women than men. But, it depends on the guy. Sure, a thirty year old hard body ski guy really gets my attention and I might have a fling with him. But, long term we both know it has a shelf life an that is quite all right with me.

#32 Nickw, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    Voltaire7 likes this.
  13. Lgbtqpride

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Do you have any female friends?

14. weary

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I relate to this so much now. When I was a teen, I was only into women. But now I acknowledge that there are so many different forms of attraction that don't get acknowledged by most people because they just don't think about it that in depth. The love I have for my husband is completely different than a physical, sexual attraction. I can't say I am sexually or romantically attracted to him, but their is an emotional bond attraction. And I, if left alone and not worrying about what is right or wrong, or what others perceive, would be the vision of a 'flower child' that can be physically/sexually intimate with all gender perceptions if there is an attraction. It really is for me an expression more than anything else.

LaneyM likes this.
  15. weary

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    @smurf I read that link you posted. Thx
    I actually have a meetup I am attending tomorrow. I also met someone online that is going to the same meetup so we will be driving there together. She knows most of my situation and it will definitely be nice to have some irl to talk to. We shall see how it holds out for my husband and my having my own time separate from him. Wish me Luck!

@merry I am still working on reading that book. It is very interesting!

#35 weary, Jan 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  16. Lgbtqpride

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sound like demisexual.

17. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes. I have a dozen female friends. Several, I am very attracted to sexually and my wife knows about the attraction. But, I don't let that attraction go any further. Although I have been asked by one husband to join them in a three way. Not my style.

18. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yep. I'm sorta like this too. I am learning, after keeping this bottled up for so long, that I am a very sexual person. I also really like human contact of any kind and intimate contact can be an expression of a lot of things...for me. But, I am also in an exploration mode that I never allowed myself to be in as a young person. So, that may be driving some of my feelings right now.

Have you asked your husband if this is enough? Can you provide him the intimacy that HE needs as a friend/partner?

#38 Nickw, Jan 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  19. Lgbtqpride

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sex is not important in a relationship, relationship is about emotional love, not sex. People do not fall in love to have sex, if sex is all you need, you can just have a sex partner, not a romantic partner.

20. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I disagree. Sex can be a very important expression of love. I know when my wife and I are intimate, it helps in all aspects of our relationship. Yes, you can have a, strictly, sexual relationship. I had one with a guy for awhile but I didn't like it and found it unfulfilling. But, don't underestimate the importance of intimacy in a relationship.

L8bloomer likes this.